SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU 11/19/2022

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, MNHawk said:

Man, if you watched that game and thought we were a couple of breaks away from winning, then I don’t know what to tell you. We were thoroughly outplayed and outcoached. 

A lot easier to play with house money. If one of those plays had tightened up the score a little bit, the game could have played out differently. UND seemed pretty deflated after the 76 yard pass play. 

5 minutes ago, homer said:

Agreed.  Need to build on those guys.  

Need more than one, need several. And need to develop them. And need to get them ready to play and be aggressive on game day. And need to put them in the best position to be successful schematically. 

A lot of pressure on coaching and strength/conditioning staffs. But, that’s the reality of DI collegiate football. 

• Upvote 2

I usually try to not get too upset over the game, but man that defensive showing was depressing.  Almost looked like a 9 man HS game with how much room ndsu had to run and how poorly und tackled in space both on D and special teams.  Then the couple times we get them in third and long and we just sit 5 yards off their receivers for easy 10 yard gains.  Ugh...

Would be interesting to see a wider camera view of what Tommy saw today, seemed he was very jumpy and indecisive - I'm guessing there weren't many open receivers.  Didn't seem like there was a ton of pass rush but he was bailing out of the pocket basically every dropback.  

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Yes we were out played.  Early 3rd qtr down 2 scores UND drops a Puck 6.  Huge.

Late 4th qtr down 3 scores Block a punt and miss a TD run back.  Huge.

Both together a whole different game.  Just 2 plays.  UND was totally out played but could have been much different with TO's

And if any of those plays happen and UND gets a little closer, NDSU probably doesn't completely close their playbook and doesn't run it up the middle every play with a 3 score lead. NDSU could have scored 60 if they needed to today. The only time they were stopped was when UND completely sold out on the run and NDSU still ran it up the middle just to burn clock.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

We played awful today. probably in the 10th percentile for worst possible outcomes. I’m so sick of watching bubbas teams lay absolute eggs in big games. Today was embarrassing. This staff hasn’t managed the roster at all. Our defensive cupboard is pretty bare too. Our best LB group through bubbas tenure were all Mussman guys, let that sink in.

That is what I was thinking after the game.....when I started thinking about next year.....as to what/how would we be any better on defense next year.  Same players next year.....gonna be pretty similar results.  The transfer portal guys we got on D this off season turned out to be kinda blah.  Maybe we can hit on one or two impact transfer players in the portal on defense next year......but not holding my breath.  Red was obviously a home run, but don't think it'll be as easy to get one of those type of impact players on D in the portal.  :sad:

26 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he was beaten directly on 4 of NDSU's touchdowns today?

You aren’t wrong. Sad thing is the writing was on the wall all season long. Heart over head in this one entering the game, but should’ve known the defense would get embarrassed like this.

SDSU, SIU, bad Nebraska team, and UNI all exposed UND defense, particularly the secondary, this season. Even Abilene Christian took it to ‘em.

11 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

That is what I was thinking after the game.....when I started thinking about next year.....as to what/how would we be any better on defense next year.  Same players next year.....gonna be pretty similar results.  The transfer portal guys we got on D this off season turned out to be kinda blah.  Maybe we can hit on one or two impact transfer players in the portal on defense next year......but not holding my breath.  Red was obviously a home run, but don't think it'll be as easy to get one of those type of impact players on D in the portal.  :sad:

Goes beyond just this guy and that guy in recruiting; the culture is broken. Cant develop guys to look like championship caliber players. The NDSU players have a completely different build than the UND players. Not to mention, UND plays scared and conservative in big games. That’s on a broken culture via the coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1

Bottom line, we’re not ready to contend. It is what it is. I’m not sure how long Bubba has been coach or how long he needs. There are coaches out there who can build a program faster than what Bubba is doing. Unfortunately UND will not hire them.  And so it goes…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Not to mention that massive blown coverage on third and long after we pinned them deep after a great punt. That play was inexcusable and a back breaker early on.

He must run pretty well though because he ran down that wr after the catch.  Must have been blown coverage for him to get that far behind the D. 

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Imagine having to go through life looking like that. 

And his play was just as dirty as his look. Every time I followed him, he was doing something egregious. I know it's complete bias, but the officials always seem to let SU get away with more than other teams. And then throw flags when their bench bitches.

41 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

And if any of those plays happen and UND gets a little closer, NDSU probably doesn't completely close their playbook and doesn't run it up the middle every play with a 3 score lead. NDSU could have scored 60 if they needed to today. The only time they were stopped was when UND completely sold out on the run and NDSU still ran it up the middle just to burn clock.

The kicker is this team IMO isnt very good compaired to teams of the past.  Lots of issues  on Defense. Coaches and players. 

11 minutes ago, Sioux04 said:

And his play was just as dirty as his look. Every time I followed him, he was doing something egregious. I know it's complete bias, but the officials always seem to let SU get away with more than other teams. And then throw flags when their bench bitches.

Wow just wow