SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

3 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

DeRidder has over .900 save % for his previous 4 years and the last 2 were .918 and .923 so he can play, but why isn’t he? Our defense must be part of that. No sure let’s hope the team finds something positive this weekend. 

What was his GAA and his winning percentage at Michigan State? MSU appears better this year. Is there a common denominator? I hope you're right that he can play, but he has not been good. He's been better than Hellsten, but that is not saying much. I haven't seen goaltending this bad since Josh Siembeda

42 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

@stoneySIOUXI hope you're right, but as Mark Twain used to enjoy pointing out there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”

It wouldn't be me being right, it'd be the team avoiding dangerous turnovers, getting better goaltending, and potting good chances. I'm hopeful lol. 

2 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

I disagree that DU outplayed UND both nights. I thought UND was the better team on Friday and deserved a better fate. You are correct about Saturday though--DU absolutely dominated that game and UND was lucky to be tied 2-2 late in the 2nd. 

I thought Friday's game against DU was a 50-50 game that could've gone either way. I thought the play was even for the most part. Saturday wasn't. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

DeRidder has over .900 save % for his previous 4 years and the last 2 were .918 and .923 so he can play, but why isn’t he? Our defense must be part of that. No sure let’s hope the team finds something positive this weekend. 

Schlossman's article said that although they don't give up many shots, the ones they are giving up are in quality scoring areas.   Hard to have a great save percentage if you aren't getting to save easy ones now and again, but are subject to many quality chances.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I was told that outshooting opponents gives you a “bonus boost” in the Pairwise Rankings…can anyone collaborate that for me?

I have never heard that, nor is it listed as a component in the Pairwise metrics. And it would make sense that a 7-2 win would count more than a 3-2 win but that's not the case either.

2 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I have never heard that, nor is it listed as a component in the Pairwise metrics. And it would make sense that a 7-2 win would count more than a 3-2 win but that's not the case either.

Hi, you must be new here.  My posts are usually full of sarcasm - and that particular cup was DEFINITELY runneth over.  There is no SOG “bonus boost” for the Pairwise Rankings.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

That article was flipping terrible. All it was was Brad trying to justify this teams crappiness with numbers and that’s what losing teams do.  Brad needs to call it like it is and put the pressure (in the media) on Berry and crew. If the hockey team wants to be the “premier” sport in the area, it’s time to hold everyone to an even higher standard. 

What is it that people aren't getting about xG? It's expected... doesn't mean it's happened. It hasn't, therefore we've lost. It's not a justification, it's a statement of fact. I've said it a few times on here, arguing with analytics and statistics is just plain stupid. 

It's not hard to see the piece as "these are the numbers, this sucks, and it is what it is" ... It's almost like some are saying, nope, I'm NOT gonna look for hope. No upside. No positive things. I refuse to think this team could possibly be good in the future this season. Very odd.

• Upvote 4