SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Do I honestly have to explain this? Honestly??

Goodness.

- I don't feel good about it and I never said I was, nor suggested it. It's frustrating that we have been statistically performing very well in areas where most games lead to wins and not winning. Wins matter most and it's not close. Stop putting words in my mouth. That's annoying.
- Stats and analytics are not without outliers. UND is an outlier right now.
- Ignoring analytics and statistics is just stupid. Like I said, look at the leaders in xG and you'll see the leaders in PWR with very few exceptions.
- With these stats, there's an assumed adjustment to the mean. That could mean we win more games and could also mean we bottom out.

Anything else?

You can spin this anyway you want, but this is what the season has devolved into:

1598422107_DumpsterFire.jpg.7a386a2706c23a548ee0413820d22177.jpg

Edited by fightingsioux4life
Changed program to season
  • Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You can spin this anyway you want, but this is what the program has devolved into:

1598422107_DumpsterFire.jpg.7a386a2706c23a548ee0413820d22177.jpg

Lololol you have an INCREDIBLY loose definition of dumpster fire. The lack of timing and perspective on this post is mind-blowing to me.

Also, it's also not spin. I said nothing but factual statements.

I'll give you an out... Did you honestly mean the program is a dumpster fire? This season, I can absolutely see... The program? Honestly?

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You can spin this anyway you want, but this is what the program has devolved into:

The whole program?  Not sure I agree with that.
This season has been pretty dismal, sure, but I'm not about to write off the entire program because of one bad half-season.

• Like 1

Just now, brianvf said:

The whole program?  Not sure I agree with that.
This season has been pretty dismal, sure, but I'm not about to write off the entire program because of one bad half-season.

We have been slowly decaying as a program since hanging #8 in 2016. Since that glorious night in Tampa, we:

-Have one NCAA tournament win vs. AIC.

-Are losing recruiting battles like we haven't since the early 1990's.

-Seem to fade towards the end of seasons, which contribute to our poor NCAA showings.

-Have looked worse this season than we have in a very long time (the 2001-02 season immediately comes to mind). I haven't seen such poor defensive play and lack of stamina in a long, long time.

If the program isn't a dumpster fire yet, it certainly is headed in that direction. This year just feels different from our other underachieving first halves. I do not want to end up like Wisconsin.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Lololol you have an INCREDIBLY loose definition of dumpster fire. The lack of timing and perspective on this post is mind-blowing to me.

Also, it's also not spin. I said nothing but factual statements.

I'll give you an out... Did you honestly mean the program is a dumpster fire? This season, I can absolutely see... The program? Honestly?

I changed program to season. My concern is that if we keep going in this direction, the program will end up like Wisconsin post-Eaves.

• Upvote 1

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

I changed program to season. My concern is that if we keep going in this direction, the program will end up like Wisconsin post-Eaves.

Hey man, that's fair. I'm not there mentally yet, but yes, if we keep having bad seasons, I see where you're going with that. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

We have been slowly decaying as a program since hanging #8 in 2016. Since that glorious night in Tampa, we:

-Seem to fade towards the end of seasons, which contribute to our poor NCAA showings.

-Have looked worse this season than we have in a very long time (the 2001-02 season immediately comes to mind). I haven't seen such poor defensive play and lack of stamina in a long, long time.

If the program isn't a dumpster fire yet, it certainly is headed in that direction. This year just feels different from our other underachieving first halves. I do not want to end up like Wisconsin.

- three straight NCHC regular season championships * 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

well-bye-later.gif

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Some things look like excuses, but they're just facts.  They finished PWR 1 in back to back years, but in the first of those years the postseason was cancelled, and in the second they got screwed because their lower ranked opponent got a bye while UND played a night game the day before.  No guarantees, but in normal circumstances, they probably get more than one tourney win.

The recruiting pipeline has some very nice players in it.  If we assume every team adds six freshmen every year (might not be quite right in these post pandemic times), then there are something like 360 commitments every year.  Do we really need a frowny face emoji after the 354 that commit elsewhere? 

I'm gonna guess they didn't fade at the end of either of the PWR 1 years, as it would seem to be almost impossible to have accomplished that with a fade, and I know they didn't last year, as it was the big second half run that won the unexpected third title.  Now if you mean from 2017-2019, you may be right, but that would seem to indicate they fixed that issue.

I will grant you that this year has sucked so far.  I hope they can turn it around.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Plus/minus is a team stat in that it's hard to lay it on the individual player. Again, I just don't see a player on this team that has genuinely gotten worse. Some are certainly not playing up to a previous level, but that doesn't mean that will finish the season that way. Laying it back on the coaching staff, are we (not necessarily you) suggesting Berry is the reason for this? Could it, heaven forbid, that we play a really good schedule and we're not getting a bounce or two a game? (UNACCEPTABLE, I know lol) I just don't see anything to indicate a guy like Frisch or Kleven have gotten worse as players. 

There are other players that are not performing at the level they did last year based on the numbers. 28 got his first point in the 9th game of the season. 18 has 2 points. 29 has 2 points. 8 has 8 points (.47 pt/gm vs .62 last year). No that doesn't necessarily mean they won't pick it up in the second half but it has certainly contributed to the team's record to this point. No I'm not in with the blame Berry crowd. It has been a very tough schedule - we are currently #5. A bounce or two our way could be the difference in being under .500 vs a winning record, but what seems to be really leading to losses is bone-headed plays. No look passes that end up on the stick of a player on the other team, losing puck battles, shooting the puck into the shinpads of a player three feet away leading to a breakaway or odd man rush. Poor goaltending is obviously a big part of the problem. 

• Like 1

Allow me a wildly optimistic take:

The staff knows they've been fading late in seasons recently so they are intentionally not hammering down early in the season to leave more in the tank come March.

It'd be a dangerous balance with little margin for error but large potential payoff. 

48 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The staff knows they've been fading late in seasons recently so they are intentionally not hammering down early in the season to leave more in the tank come March.

There have been some pretty early-season letdowns that have cost this season come tournament selection time, cough, cough, Canisius College being one from a couple of seasons ago.  Berry’s teams are often unexpectedly caught with their pants down - and that needs to get fixed.  I don’t care if it’s October or March, every opponent UND plays brings it’s A game.  It’s time UND responded with better than D effort.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, MafiaMan said:

There have been some pretty early-season letdowns that have cost this season come tournament selection time, cough, cough, Canisius College being one from a couple of seasons ago.  Berry’s teams are 

either strong in the regular season and lose in the 1st round of the NCAA's OR miss the tournament all together? 

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

either strong in the regular season and lose in the 1st round of the NCAA's OR miss the tournament all together? 

If memory serves me right, the Penn State loss also kept them out of the NCAA’s.  And last years one-and-done 1 goal effort against Notre Dame was less than inspiring.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

If memory serves me right, the Penn State loss also kept them out of the NCAA’s.  And last years one-and-done 1 goal effort against Notre Dame was less than inspiring.  

Your memory doesn't serve you right because they lost to Penn State last year in Nashville and still made the NCAA tournament. 

13 hours ago, jk said:

Some things look like excuses, but they're just facts.  They finished PWR 1 in back to back years, but in the first of those years the postseason was cancelled, and in the second they got screwed because their lower ranked opponent got a bye while UND played a night game the day before.  No guarantees, but in normal circumstances, they probably get more than one tourney win.

The recruiting pipeline has some very nice players in it.  If we assume every team adds six freshmen every year (might not be quite right in these post pandemic times), then there are something like 360 commitments every year.  Do we really need a frowny face emoji after the 354 that commit elsewhere? 

I'm gonna guess they didn't fade at the end of either of the PWR 1 years, as it would seem to be almost impossible to have accomplished that with a fade, and I know they didn't last year, as it was the big second half run that won the unexpected third title.  Now if you mean from 2017-2019, you may be right, but that would seem to indicate they fixed that issue.

I will grant you that this year has sucked so far.  I hope they can turn it around.

The 20-21 season the were #2 in the final PWR rankings. You also need to stop with that damn excuse of them losing because the other team got a bye. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

It was the sweep from Canisius in 18-19 that kept us out of the NCAA

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

It'd be a dangerous balance with little margin for error but large potential payoff. 

Might not want to fall too far below .500.