SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

7 hours ago, Kevin G said:

So far this year has been disappointing. So out of curiosity (and hockey boredom) I decided to compare this year's team to Berry's other teams. (Note: I copied and pasted the data from an Excel spreadsheet. Hopefully this works...)

A comparison of each of Brad Berry's eight teams:

Goals Scored/Game Goals Allowed/Game Goal margin/game Win % PWR
2015-16 3.68 1.84 +1.84 0.818 3
2016-17 3.18 2.60 +0.58 0.562 10
2017-18 2.93 2.38 +0.55 0.571 14
2018-19 2.51 2.43 +0.08 0.514 20
2019-20 3.86 1.94 +1.92 0.800 1
2020-21 3.93 1.97 +1.96 0.776 2
2021-22 3.05 2.59 +0.46 0.628 7
average 3.31 2.25 +1.06 0.710 8
2022-23 3.42 3.16 +0.26 0.474 21

A few takeaways:

• THREE ONE SIX. The current team's Goals Allowed/Game sticks out like a sore thumb. We haven't seen anything like it in Berry's tenure, and it's not particularly close. It's essentially a goal more per game than the average of Berry's seven other teams. 
  • Honestly, the biggest takeaway for me has to do with the 2019-20 and 2020-21 teams. I had already forgotten how good those two teams were. Just look at how they compare with the 2015-16 team.
  • You remember correctly: That 2018-19 team just couldn't buy a goal. 
  • Hopium: There is still time to improve defensively this season, and (more hopium) I would submit that it's more realistic to improve defensively within a season than to suddenly find a bunch of extra scoring.
  • Last bit of hopium: The last time Berry fielded a mediocre team (2018-19), he followed it up with two of the best seasons (albeit without a championship) in UND hockey history. 

I dont see the XG analytical stat in your comparison :D

14 hours ago, Kevin G said:

So far this year has been disappointing. So out of curiosity (and hockey boredom) I decided to compare this year's team to Berry's other teams. (Note: I copied and pasted the data from an Excel spreadsheet. Hopefully this works...)

A comparison of each of Brad Berry's eight teams:

Goals Scored/Game Goals Allowed/Game Goal margin/game Win % PWR
2015-16 3.68 1.84 +1.84 0.818 3
2016-17 3.18 2.60 +0.58 0.562 10
2017-18 2.93 2.38 +0.55 0.571 14
2018-19 2.51 2.43 +0.08 0.514 20
2019-20 3.86 1.94 +1.92 0.800 1
2020-21 3.93 1.97 +1.96 0.776 2
2021-22 3.05 2.59 +0.46 0.628 7
average 3.31 2.25 +1.06 0.710 8
2022-23 3.42 3.16 +0.26 0.474 21

A few takeaways:

• THREE ONE SIX. The current team's Goals Allowed/Game sticks out like a sore thumb. We haven't seen anything like it in Berry's tenure, and it's not particularly close. It's essentially a goal more per game than the average of Berry's seven other teams. 
  • Honestly, the biggest takeaway for me has to do with the 2019-20 and 2020-21 teams. I had already forgotten how good those two teams were. Just look at how they compare with the 2015-16 team.
  • You remember correctly: That 2018-19 team just couldn't buy a goal. 
  • Hopium: There is still time to improve defensively this season, and (more hopium) I would submit that it's more realistic to improve defensively within a season than to suddenly find a bunch of extra scoring.
  • Last bit of hopium: The last time Berry fielded a mediocre team (2018-19), he followed it up with two of the best seasons (albeit without a championship) in UND hockey history. 

This is a useful spreadsheet.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-hockey-lines-up-series-against-first-time-opponent

UND's nonconference schedule is already set for the next two seasons.

The Fighting Hawks have started work on 2025-26, too.

UND has signed two series for that season already. One is against a familiar opponent. One will be a first-time foe.

The Fighting Hawks will play Bemidji State in a home-and-away series, continuing the longtime U.S. Highway 2 rivalry between the teams.

They'll also play Mercyhurst of Atlantic Hockey — a team UND has never played in program history.

The Lakers, based out of Erie, Pa., are one of just eight NCAA Division-I teams who have never played against UND.

The others are Lindenwood, UConn, Bentley, RIT, Sacred Heart and Division-I newcomers Long Island University and St. Thomas. The Fighting Hawks will play Lindenwood for the first time on Jan. 6-7.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/jackson-blake-appears-set-to-play-large-role-for-team-usa-at-the-world-juniors

Blake, a fourth-round pick of the Carolina Hurricanes, is expected to open the tournament playing right wing on the second line for the United States.

That line will be centered by Chaz Lucius of the American Hockey League's Manitoba Moose. The left wing will be Michigan freshman Rutger McGroarty. Lucius and McGroarty are both first-round picks of the Winnipeg Jets.

Blake also will play on the second power-play unit on the right flank, the opposite side he plays at UND.

His power-play unit also features Lucius, Minnesota freshman forward Jimmy Snuggerud, Michigan sophomore forward Dylan Duke and UMass sophomore defenseman Ryan Ufko.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/a-look-at-the-effectiveness-of-und-forward-griffin-ness

He's averaging modest 9 minutes, 48 seconds of ice time per game, ranking 11th among the 15 UND forwards who have played this season.

But underlying numbers show the junior forward has been particularly effective in his minutes during the first half of the season.

Ness ranks second on UND's team in goals per minute of ice time, only behind Riese Gaber. He's slightly ahead of rookie Jackson Blake.

Outside of Gaber, only 10 other National Collegiate Hockey Conference players are scoring more goals per minute than Ness — Minnesota Duluth's Ben Steeves, Omaha's Jack Randl, Western Michigan's Jamie Rome, Denver's Carter Mazur, Colorado College's Hunter McKown, St. Cloud State's Zach Okabe, St. Cloud State's Grant Cruikshank, Western Michigan's Jason Polin, Miami's John Waldron and St. Cloud State's Jami Krannila.

All of those players are regulars on the power play, averaging more than two minutes per game with the man advantage. All of them are all-NCHC candidates.

11 hours ago, brianvf said:

What that tells me is Ness on a fourth line is better than other teams' third or fourth line. Now if Ness was doing that against opponent first lines ... 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

What that tells me is Ness on a fourth line is better than other teams' third or fourth line. Now if Ness was doing that against opponent first lines ... 

One great thing: our 4th line Saturday against WMU is very hard to play against (Portz-Ness-Albrecht). That 4-line set-up looked very good but I'm wondering how do we get Costantini back into the lineup? If he is healed once the break is over, can we get him back in somewhere on a team where it seems like the lines are FINALLY taking their shape. Costantini is too skilled to be out of the lineup and if he doesn't play, I'm worried he hits the portal next year. But at the same time, it's hard to take out other guys after how well they played in the last game. That 4th line plays so well together with their physicality and it seems like James was hitting his stride on the left wing of that unit with Schmaltz and Caulfield. So does 18 keep riding the pine? Obviously he will play the U-18 with blake gone, maybe even lindenwood depending how far the US goes in the WJC. Just food for thought since I miss UND hockey right now.

UND defenseman Ryan Sidorski has returned to Grand Forks after being snowed in at home in Buffalo. Sidorski, originally scheduled to fly to Grand Forks on Sunday, finally arrived back Thursday. Friday was his first day of practice. Because it's the day before a game, UND held its weekly shootout competition and there was once again a new winner — Jake Schmaltz. The sophomore center went three-for-three to top Brent Johnson and Ethan Frisch, who both made their first two attempts. In the first 12 weeks, goalies have won it twice, but the other nine winners have all been different players.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/things-to-watch-in-unds-exhibition-game-against-the-u-s-under-18-team

The U.S. Under-18 Team is 10-2 against NCAA Division-I teams this season. The losses came at Minnesota and Niagara. They've beaten Boston University, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Michigan Tech, RPI, RIT, Army, Yale, Lake Superior State and St. Thomas.

There's a 16-team bantam hockey tournament being played at Icon Sports Center this week. Games are scheduled from 8 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. There also were games Thursday and Friday.

The sons of several former UND players — Lee Goren, Jason Ulmer, Jeff Panzer, Dane Jackson, Jason Endres and Kevin Spiewak — are participating.

Sounds like some new potential future recruits.  ;) 
@Speezdidn't realize you had a grandson playing hockey!  Is he headed to UND in a few years?  :) 

• Upvote 1

UND floated around between #18-#21 with other teams results tonight...and end the night right back where they started it, at #21.
RPI is crazy tight though with the teams directly above them though:

18 - BC - .5319
19 - MTU - .5308
20 - UML - .5301
21 - UND - .5300

A good gap below UND.

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/things-to-watch-in-unds-exhibition-game-against-the-u-s-under-18-team

Sounds like some new potential future recruits.  ;) 
@Speezdidn't realize you had a grandson playing hockey!  Is he headed to UND in a few years?  :) 

@brianvf3 grandsons playing hockey in Fargo. We will see how it works out for them. Keeps us busy with plenty of games to watch.

• Upvote 3