SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Glad we're on the same page. It's absolutely justified to be frustrated right now. We all are. But what in God's green earth will firing Berry do? Nothing. People are bummed about our pipeline (I love our pipeline. We need MORE players, but I love it) for some reason and that, I guess, could be a part of it, but it's wild to me that people legit think he deserves to be fired.

You fire him midseason, what does that do? The team will still be struggling anyway and maybe some of those recruits that were on the way decommit and then what do we do.

5 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

You fire him midseason, what does that do? The team will still be struggling anyway and maybe some of those recruits that were on the way decommit and then what do we do.

That's a bingo. It does NOTHING positive for the team or program. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

In Berry's short tenure here, he has either lead his team out the gate or they just struggled the whole season, there was never an in between in my eyes. 

You are correct that the talent is there, but I just don't think this team is a team like ones from the past. When I hear stories that they don't hang out outside of hockey that seems odd to me (if it is true) and it translates out onto the ice.

I find that interesting, because I've heard that they are plenty close, but there a few that do their own thing. 

My whole point of what I said is that speaking in absolutes like things are already done is silly. Let the season play out!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Glad we're on the same page. It's absolutely justified to be frustrated right now. We all are. But what in God's green earth will firing Berry do? Nothing. People are bummed about our pipeline (I love our pipeline. We need MORE players, but I love it) for some reason and that, I guess, could be a part of it, but it's wild to me that people legit think he deserves to be fired.

I'm sure all those rubes chanting for him to be fired are ready to contribute to the $1.4million buyout that would come with it....:silly:

Agree with your other post. They should have a better record than they do. Unfortunately, that doesn't do a whole lot other than give some extra hope that they are closer than their record currently shows.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think the entitlement sentiment, for me at least, is when we talk about firing Berry. Based on one half of the season, a big chunk of the fanbase not just wants him to be fired, but think he should be. I think it's crazy and yes, totally unreasonable to think he should be fired.

I honestly don't see any regression, so to say. Underperformance, absolutely. Lack of progression that we desired, sure. But, who's regressing? Not trying to start a pissing match, but I'm just curious to hear who people think have gotten worse as a player.

If you look at plus/minus, there were four players that were minus last season (full season stats/not including players no longer on the team) and this year there are eight (not including freshmen/transfers). Gaber -6, Frisch -7 and Kleven -8. Gaber is at least scoring but I don't think there's much question Frisch and Kleven are not playing at the same level they did last season.

1 minute ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

... but I don't think there's much question Frisch and Kleven are not playing at the same level they did last season.

The minutes accumulated on those two this far is scary. The each are close to 30 minutes per game (when available). 

I worried going into last weekend that "no Frisch" would exposed the defense even more than it has been. Sadly, it happened. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

If you look at plus/minus, there were four players that were minus last season (full season stats/not including players no longer on the team) and this year there are eight (not including freshmen/transfers). Gaber -6, Frisch -7 and Kleven -8. Gaber is at least scoring but I don't think there's much question Frisch and Kleven are not playing at the same level they did last season.

Plus/minus is a team stat in that it's hard to lay it on the individual player. Again, I just don't see a player on this team that has genuinely gotten worse. Some are certainly not playing up to a previous level, but that doesn't mean that will finish the season that way. Laying it back on the coaching staff, are we (not necessarily you) suggesting Berry is the reason for this? Could it, heaven forbid, that we play a really good schedule and we're not getting a bounce or two a game? (UNACCEPTABLE, I know lol) I just don't see anything to indicate a guy like Frisch or Kleven have gotten worse as players. 

What I saw that really disturbed me last weekend was the little stuff:

"Shorting" passes
"Shorting" clears
It's like sticks were made of soft pasta or the puck weighed 500 pounds. 

And then the other mistakes, like not taking the easy clear or trying to make one more pass instead of firing. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

The minutes accumulated on those two this far is scary. The each are close to 30 minutes per game (when available). 

I worried going into last weekend that "no Frisch" would exposed the defense even more than it has been. Sadly, it happened. 

THIS is smart. This comes from a lack of confidence in the bottom pairs of d-men. Guys like Cooper Moore, Johnson, and Bast need to get back to their best games ASAP for UND to turn it around.

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

What I saw that really disturbed me last weekend was the little stuff:

"Shorting" passes
"Shorting" clears
It's like sticks were made of soft pasta or the puck weighed 500 pounds. 

And then the other mistakes, like not taking the easy clear or trying to make one more pass instead of firing. 

Been happening ALL year. This team is in its own head, IMO. Mental mistakes and panic. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'm sure all those rubes chanting for him to be fired are ready to contribute to the $1.4million buyout that would come with it....:silly:

Agree with your other post. They should have a better record than they do. Unfortunately, that doesn't do a whole lot other than give some extra hope that they are closer than their record currently shows.

Spot on. He’s not going anywhere for another two seasons beyond this one unless it’s of his own volition.  

1 minute ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Most of us don’t want Berry fired but make some changes that bring about positive results.. he hasn’t been one to do this just run status quo. When your an assistant you can be the players buddy not as head coach. 

It took Hak a while to figure that out. I believe "Judy's" was the fulcrum point.

You'd think a more chronologically senior person (with kids older than his players) would have that figured out by now. 

8 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

How about sitting players who take undisciplined penalties, bench players who don’t hustle back on icings or just to retrieve the pucks on the power play. How about changing the way they train so they are not gassed at the end of games. 

He's definitely sat players for playing poorly this year. Tough to do it much on the blue line with injuries and inconsistent play.

Is this training issue you see a new thing? I've never heard of a UND being out of shape. I think they're gassed because we've been playing from behind and expending all energy to try and even a game. Not a training thing, IMO, but a circumstance of our performance. 

3 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

They have been ahead or tied for a majority of games and lose it in the third.  I think imho that Berry has to be more of a head coach and not a assistant. His job is to win  not make friends. 

What is it that you believe is causing the team to fall apart in the third? Things like confidence, mental toughness, etc., I don't think are on Bubs. 

The old school mentality of being a "tough coach" just isn't a part of college sport now. There are essentially no coaches out there that coach by fear. Right or not, I think if Berry is going, we're not going to see an old type of coach at UND because players don't really feel like get screamed at at all hours of practices and games anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I for one am comfortable where this team is currently at because based on the xG metrics UND is #7 in the Pairwise. So glad I bought West Regional tickets.

Yeah, this is pretty much exactly what I'm referring to when I say our fanbase is overreacting to everything.

Great example! #FerDa

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yeah, this is pretty much exactly what I'm referring to when I say our fanbase is overreacting to everything.

Great example! #FerDa

If the meaningless metrics and analytics make you feel more comfortable about this team's actual W/L record and Pairwise position make sure to leave cookies and milk out on the night of the 24th. 

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

If the meaningless metrics and analytics make you feel more comfortable about this team's actual W/L record and Pairwise position make sure to leave cookies and milk out on the night of the 24th. 

Do I honestly have to explain this? Honestly??

Goodness.

- I don't feel good about it and I never said I was, nor suggested it. It's frustrating that we have been statistically performing very well in areas where most games lead to wins and not winning. Wins matter most and it's not close. Stop putting words in my mouth. That's annoying.
- Stats and analytics are not without outliers. UND is an outlier right now.
- Ignoring analytics and statistics is just stupid. Like I said, look at the leaders in xG and you'll see the leaders in PWR with very few exceptions.
- With these stats, there's an assumed adjustment to the mean. That could mean we win more games and could also mean we bottom out.

Anything else?

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

Dave Hakstol has saved many seasons with second half surges; we have not seen them with Berry in his time here. 

Huh?  What do you think happened last year? 

They were a pedestrian 13-10-0 through late January.  From that point they went 9-2-1 to finish the regular season enroute to an NCHC title.  What's perplexing is they did it with the exact same D-core they have now as Sanderson was injured.

I'm not ready to write this team off just yet, but, man, they better turn it around fast.  They can't dig themselves into too big a hole.  

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

What is it that you believe is causing the team to fall apart in the third? Things like confidence, mental toughness, etc., I don't think are on Bubs. 

The old school mentality of being a "tough coach" just isn't a part of college sport now. There are essentially no coaches out there that coach by fear. Right or not, I think if Berry is going, we're not going to see an old type of coach at UND because players don't really feel like get screamed at at all hours of practices and games anymore. 

Maybe my eyes deceive and others also when we think this team looks gassed in the third. When you have leads and piss them down your leg and the team looks tired doing it , that’s on the coaching staff they need to make sure the team is ready to compete for the proverbial 60. Not saying you have to yell or scream but it’s his job , and he’s payed well for it, to figure it out. That is being the “head coach”

Just now, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Maybe my eyes deceive and others also when we think this team looks gassed in the third. When you have leads and piss them down your leg and the team looks tired doing it , that’s on the coaching staff they need to make sure the team is ready to compete for the proverbial 60. Not saying you have to yell or scream but it’s his job , and he’s payed well for it, to figure it out

Yeah, I feel ya man. I just don't know what it is. Such a weird season. I think the players deserve much of the "blame"... turnovers have been the biggest problem for this team, IMO and to me that's clearly on their shoulders. Looking gassed can certainly come from chasing the game and not playing confident, too. 

I feel like a turnaround is going to come from leaning on program successes and belief in the talent to execute. That is on Bubs to drive into them, but also on the players to actually do it.