SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

https://insidehockey.com/und-hockey-team-has-tall-hill-to-climb-in-second-half/?fbclid=IwAR3uu-oFSRKBkEjYTWGMBnwwGof5FQBBYUVMeRVOWBq8abZ-sTZTDcRSWww

why do people still say that UND always has a 2nd half run? Those teams in the past are the ones who had 2nd half runs, hardly anyone on this team has been apart of a second half run. This team has dug itself into a hole in which I sadly think won’t be able to climb out of.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

https://insidehockey.com/und-hockey-team-has-tall-hill-to-climb-in-second-half/?fbclid=IwAR3uu-oFSRKBkEjYTWGMBnwwGof5FQBBYUVMeRVOWBq8abZ-sTZTDcRSWww

why do people still say that UND always has a 2nd half run? Those teams in the past are the ones who had 2nd half runs, hardly anyone on this team has been apart of a second half run. This team has dug itself into a hole in which I sadly think won’t be able to climb out of.

They had a nice 2nd half run last year.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/overtime-goal-is-another-sign-of-progress-for-matteo-costantini

Costantini's emergence could be a big boost in the second half for the Fighting Hawks, who return to regular-season play Friday against Lindenwood.

"We know he's got it," Jackson said. "He hasn't been feeling very confident so getting that mojo is huge. He's built some trust with the last weekend we played in Kalamazoo and he built upon it again. Hopefully that trend will continue, because we need him in the second half."

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hopefully he learned his lesson.  If you are going to take liberties, take them the game prior to the exhibition, so you only have to sit for an exhibition game.  St. Cloud has that figured out. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jk said:

Right, they take one in a real game and serve it in an exhibition, and we do the reverse.  You can't make it up.

We’ve seen with the Cooper Moore suspension last year on a hit similar to, if not as bad as the hit Savoie put on Senden, that the league isn’t going to do us any favors.  Moore’s hit probably wasn’t as bad, and it didn’t happen near the end of the game either.  We now have seen the standard, let’s see if the league is consistent with their punishments.  

• Upvote 2

On 12/31/2022 at 2:01 PM, siouxkid12 said:

Don't disagree at all but in the last few weeks of not playing they have moved up what 4 spots in the pairwise-rankings.   The secret to this teams success looks like to not be playing games.  Keep this trend up and they should be the number one overall seed:D

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, siouxweet said:

Don't disagree at all but in the last few weeks of not playing they have moved up what 4 spots in the pairwise-rankings.   The secret to this teams success looks like to not be playing games.  Keep this trend up and they should be the number one overall seed:D

"The Michigan"!

• Upvote 2

On 1/2/2023 at 9:20 PM, brianvf said:

Jackson's communication and comments in Berry's absence were refreshing. Blunt and honest. Not typical coach speak. Berry needs to take note so @Wilbur can stop posting in the gameday thread with 11:30 left in the 3rd Berry's post game comments with TH.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 2:01 PM, siouxkid12 said:

A part of, not apart of…

I am hopeful of a second half run…but not overly optimistic about it happening.  

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Jackson's communication and comments in Berry's absence were refreshing. Blunt and honest. Not typical coach speak. Berry needs to take note so @Wilbur can stop posting in the gameday thread with 11:30 left in the 3rd Berry's post game comments with TH.

Serious question: What exactly did Jackson say in that article that was different than what Berry would have said? I've heard BB make very similar comments about players who have struggled, had to take some time for reflection and figure out if they wanted to work through it or not.

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Too many passengers, not a full sixty.....culture.  Ohh wait, its Wednesday.... 

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I felt the exact same way. Let him do the interviews from now on so we can get real answers. 

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Serious question: What exactly did Jackson say in that article that was different than what Berry would have said? I've heard BB make very similar comments about players who have struggled, had to take some time for reflection and figure out if they wanted to work through it or not.

jdub is correct. What did Jackson say that Berry hasn't said a thousand times in similar terms?

For those that can't get thru the paywall, here are Jacksons three quotes from the article.

"There's so much there," Jackson said. "There's so much speed. We just thought, 'Give him a shift when there's some open ice there.' He really showed some of those flashes of last year."

"He's been in some tough spots and it hasn't gone how he wanted, but I give him a lot of respect for how he's handled everything," Jackson said. "He always looks in the mirror, wants to get better, do video and he knows he's got things he has to improve. I just give him a lot of respect for how he's handled it. If he was ever not getting to play much or sitting out, he's the first one in working. He's a guy you cheer for because of how good of a teammate he is and how much he cares and prepares."

"We know he's got it," Jackson said. "He hasn't been feeling very confident so getting that mojo is huge. He's built some trust with the last weekend we played in Kalamazoo and he built upon it again. Hopefully that trend will continue, because we need him in the second half."

Oh, Mojo is the answer! lol!

There is absolutely nothing "blunt" or "refreshing" about any of this, but apparently the new narrative has been determined.

1 hour ago, N of GF said:

jdub is correct. What did Jackson say that Berry hasn't said a thousand times in similar terms?

For those that can't get thru the paywall, here are Jacksons three quotes from the article.

There is absolutely nothing "blunt" or "refreshing" about any of this, but apparently the new narrative has been determined.

I think people were more referencing this article and the quotes in it:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/eight-takeaways-from-unds-exhibition-victory-over-the-u-s-under-18-team

Where he said this about OwenMc:

"Owen's a great talent," UND associate coach Dane Jackson said. "But I didn't think he was very good in the first period for us. He had some high-risk plays and pucks went the other way. We obviously addressed it a little bit and I thought he had a really strong second and third. He made really good plays without having much risk to his game.

"That will be in the video for sure, when you see a guy like that take some tough love a little bit and respond to it and play the right way and play hard. We're really happy to show that to him and the rest of the team."

We don't normally see Berry single out specific players for issues like that.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I think people were more referencing this article and the quotes in it:

Okay, could be. The quotes I posted are from the article that Oxbow posted and commented on, and Wilbur replied to.

The quotes you posted do sound better, but I wouldn't say that Berry has never called a guy out for playing a bad period. Especially when he can say that the player turned it around and finished the game strong. Very standard 'coach talk' about in-game adjustments. I guess I don't have a specific example, so maybe I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1