SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-freshman-owen-mclaughlin-sees-the-game-different-former-coach-says?fbclid=IwAR2VZajsFlKogT6JfEwKwVszLZ8gUEIEY5wqpYsAS1ofEot72WECJ2Oz1NE

"When young guys come in and jump from juniors to college, there will be some nervousness or guys that mishandle pucks being a little tight," UND coach Brad Berry said. "There's no tightness in his game. He's confident with the puck. He knows the next play. He finds the open guy all the time. He's just a smart, smart player."

St. Clair, who arrived on campus in 2011, said the only player he’s seen at UND with McLaughlin’s vision is Schmaltz.

“Those guys are it,” St. Clair said. “Those are the two best guys I’ve seen. They just see it different.”

“We plan on trying to put them with a couple of older players on a line instead of putting them all together early on,” Berry said of McLaughlin and Blake. “I go back to the time when we won the national championship. We had Drake Caggiula, Brock Boeser and Nick Schmaltz together. They all brought something different to the table. You want to do that.

"Both (McLaughlin and Blake) are good distributors. You probably want to put them with a Riese Gaber or Matteo Costantini or someone who can finish some plays. We have a bunch of guys who can finish. Gavin Hain is another guy who was being really productive before his injury.”

22 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Over/Under on Gaber scoring 30 goals this year?

I'll take the under...but I bet he'll get close.
I also hope the scoring will be somewhat spread out...we have guys that can score, so hopefully we're not relying solely on Gaber to score like it felt like sometimes last year when Sanderson was out injured.

• Upvote 1

UND always holds a team shootout the day before each weekend series (or single game), so today marked Shootout No. 1 for the season. The first winner was fifth-year senior Gavin Hain, who sniped all three of his shots. He outlasted Tyler Kleven (who went 2-for-3) to win it.

Hain is ready to roll.

• Upvote 1

“We plan on trying to put them with a couple of older players on a line instead of putting them all together early on,” Berry said of McLaughlin and Blake.

WHAT!?!?! Not putting multiple freshmen on a line at the start of a season? Where've I heard that before ... ;) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 108498 said:

Can UND insider prescribers get UND hockey games or do they have to buy the conference package? Asking from Wyoming.

I believe the only hockey option is NCHC.tv or be a Midco cable subscriber (to get MidcoSN channels). 

15 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Over/Under on Gaber scoring 30 goals this year?

Under that’s a lot and I’m not sure we have the upperclassman skill to get him that many goals. Also, he scored 15 last year. You think he’s going to double? Not me.

31 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Under that’s a lot and I’m not sure we have the upperclassman skill to get him that many goals. Also, he scored 15 last year. You think he’s going to double? Not me.

Call me optimistic. Our team defense will keep the puck on the right side of the ice, and adding some young playmakers should allow Gaber the opportunities to shoot the puck at will. 20-25 is where I’m at. 

31 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Better goal for Gaber would be surpassing 20 goals. Schlossman had that article on him today and it mentions only a handful of UND players in the last 10 years have even passed 20 goals.

Frattin had 36 in 2011, so he’s the last UND guy to pass 30, and obviously that team was pretty stacked. 

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Better goal for Gaber would be surpassing 20 goals. Schlossman had that article on him today and it mentions only a handful of UND players in the last 10 years have even passed 20 goals.

Frattin had 36 in 2011, so he’s the last UND guy to pass 30, and obviously that team was pretty stacked. 

Agreed.  Since Frattin scored 36 in 2010-2011, here are the guys to pot 20+ in a season:

Brock Nelson (2011-2012) - 28

Brock Boeser (2015-2016) - 27

Danny Kristo (2012-2013) - 26

Drake Caggiula (2015-2016) - 25

Shane Gersich (2016-2017) - 21

Gaber definitely has the talent to join this group, and coupled with the influx of offensive prowess coming in this season, 20+ should definitely be the goal.  But I would be perfectly fine with 30+. : p

Those of you planning on watching tonight’s game via NCHC.tv may want to try and fire that up prior to game time.  I access NCHC via my Roku and the site was definitely not functioning correctly.  Long story short, I removed the channel and then reloaded it and now it appears “normal”.  Good luck.

34 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Those of you planning on watching tonight’s game via NCHC.tv may want to try and fire that up prior to game time.  I access NCHC via my Roku and the site was definitely not functioning correctly.  Long story short, I removed the channel and then reloaded it and now it appears “normal”.  Good luck.

It's just you, Blackheart; you need a reset every so often.  

Hate to be the guy to have to tell you that.  

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Is anyone able to view the miami game? I paid for my subscription but it wants $37.99/month to watch this game on my end!?

3 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I had to reinstall on Roku, currently watching the NCHCCHA toilet bowl.  Had the same prompt at first.

GameDay thread anyone? Line chart is up.

I did reinstall on the roku already. Same thing. It also prompts me to pay from iphone app, also already signed in with subscription.