SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Thoughts from section 103:  I am in the lower bowl this year, and I love to watch and analyze hockey.  Here are my thoughts from the Exhibition opener.

1.  Kleven is 99.89% NHL ready and really fun to watch.  His size and strength cause some offhand penalties at times, but I will take it.

2.  The freshies seem to be in their element, although it is just Manitoba.  (James) has a great motor, (McLaughlin) is a great puck handler and creates, creates, creates - I am excited to follow him, (Blake) as advertised, (Strinden) surprised me with his physical play and readiness..  excited to see them all grow this year.

3. I missed watching Moore and Bast.

4. Gaber pushes things a little too much still, but with the right line mates he will continue to flourish.

5.  Great to see Hain back.  Sidorski is large.  Ness is better.   Schmaltz will be top 3 in scoring.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Think that it is interesting that Quinnipiac’s Sr. goalie and Ty Smilanic transferred…

Dylan St Cyr transferring makes sense (playing time squeezed by the younger all-star).   Maybe the same thing with Smilanic (more playing time on the top 6 / PP at Wisconsin than at QU)?  

I still think Perets/QU defense is overrated.  In four games vs Western teams last season (UND, ASU, St Cloud, Michigan), his save percentage was .862 and GAA of 3.47.  Yeah, all those shutouts against teams in the bottom third of Pairwise pad the stats, but ...  I guess we shall see in two weeks if I'm right.

• Upvote 1

Hey gang, I just checked Ticketmaster and there are a fair amount of tickets up for sale for the UND at CC series in February.

I just wanted to bring this to everyone’s attention in case you are thinking that you’d like to go. As that weekend gets closer, those tickets will likely become less available and more expensive. I saw asking prices right now as low as $35 for Friday and as low as $30 for Saturday. 

Given CC did not include a General Admission or visitors section in the new arena, the only way for UND fans to go is to buy others’ tickets on the second hand market. I’d just as soon see you all be able to get tickets and at a somewhat reasonable price now. 

Edit: I stand corrected….the tickets currently for sale on Ticketmaster are currently tickets being sold directly by the school, they are not second hand. However, these tickets will likely be scooped up fast at those prices and as the season goes along, expect season ticket holders to start listing their tickets for the UND series at some pretty ridiculous prices. 

• Upvote 4

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/its-a-familiar-destination-and-a-familiar-goal-for-the-und-hockey-team

Once all the players had a piece of the net — a keepsake of that unforgettable 2015-16 season — they started giving pieces to the fans who traveled to Tampa and turned that Frozen Four into de facto home games for the Fighting Hawks.

Defenseman Troy Stecher skated toward the glass with a piece of the net, saw a 13-year-old boy wearing a UND jersey, pointed at him and tossed it in his direction.

It sailed a little long, though, and someone behind the kid snagged it.

That kid was Ben Strinden.

Ha!  That's good stuff right there.

I just listened to the most recent GPL podcast and they announced that next week, their guest will be Schlossman to preview the UND/Gopher series. Just thought I’d share that with the group if you’d care to listen to it once it’s posted. You can subscribe to GPL on YouTube. 

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

You can shove a rusty fork through you cranium too but we're not going to. :D

I know, I couldn’t believe I was that bored I sat through 60 minutes of listening to Gopher hockey talk but I will listen at least once more just to hear what the GPL hosts and Schloss have to say about the upcoming series. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Awkward 

They did it a few years ago too (it was the 2018 series on GF) and it was worth listening to. Good on them for inviting the opposing team’s beat writer more than once.  I won’t miss an opportunity to hear schloss talk about our team and a big upcoming series. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2022 at 11:09 AM, farce poobah said:

Dylan St Cyr transferring makes sense (playing time squeezed by the younger all-star).   Maybe the same thing with Smilanic (more playing time on the top 6 / PP at Wisconsin than at QU)?  

I still think Perets/QU defense is overrated.  In four games vs Western teams last season (UND, ASU, St Cloud, Michigan), his save percentage was .862 and GAA of 3.47.  Yeah, all those shutouts against teams in the bottom third of Pairwise pad the stats, but ...  I guess we shall see in two weeks if I'm right.

They dominated us in the shots department when we played out there last year. I think we will struggle to score on them next weekend but I’ll be happy if we split again since they will likely be a top-10 team all year 

On 10/1/2022 at 10:39 PM, farce poobah said:

Happy that our schedule gives the rookies and new goalie another week of medium-difficulty opponents before they get hit with the top teams in the country.

Very true.   They will learn at least a couple of things:   First, the time and space will diminish considerably (though HC had a good forecheck).  Second, they will pay a price for loose play, both in their defensive zone and in the O zone, where passes that might have worked in high school or USHL could lead to an odd man rush the other way. 

• Upvote 1

CBS Sports announced its NCHC broadcast schedule for this season Tuesday morning. UND will have three games on CBS — at Miami (Friday, Jan. 27), at Denver (Friday, Feb. 10) and home against St. Cloud State (Friday, Feb. 17). Those games will be called by Alex Heinert and Dave Starman. Heinert will likely miss five of Midco's home broadcasts this season to call CBS games. Jody Norstedt, who used to work at WDAZ-TV, will fill in for him.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/ryan-sidorski-is-unds-wall-street-bound-defenseman

"I'm definitely grateful for the opportunity there under (coaches) Rick Bennett and John Ronan," Sidorski said. "I learned a lot about myself as a human being and a hockey player. I got to grow a lot in both aspects. I'll forever love Union.

"Here, it's a different level at North Dakota. The facilities are not even a comparison. There are different coaching styles. I think Bubs (Brad Berry) runs a very tight ship here. From what I've gathered, everyone wants to get better here. Everyone is working toward a common goal. There's a good culture here and a good, tight group of guys."

• Upvote 1

Hopefully the boys can get out of Mariucci with a split (or better).

And then the destination game against ASU, which hopefully goes better than last year against PSU.  PSU had a poor season last year after they beat us, and I feel the same could very well happen with ASU.  So hopefully the team can take care of business in Vegas to help boost the PWR.
ASU just split with Colgate and has CC this weekend.

UND to host Providence in the HoF game in 2024 at REA:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-to-host-providence-in-future-u-s-hockey-hall-of-fame-game-destination-games

The Fighting Hawks will host the Friars in the 2024 U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game in Ralph Engelstad Arena.

With that, UND's nonconference schedules the next two seasons are nearly complete.

In 2023-24, UND will open with the Ice Breaker Tournament against Army and Wisconsin in Ralph Engelstad Arena. UND's other home series are against Minnesota, Bemidji State, Minnesota State-Mankato and Alaska (Fairbanks). It will play on the road at Boston University.

In 2024-25, in addition to the Providence game, UND will host Boston University in a home series, play at Minnesota State-Mankato and Cornell, and take on Bemidji State in a home-and-away series. UND still has one more series left to book for 2024-25. Considering it's already playing five road nonconference games, it will almost surely wind up being a two-game home series.

In 2024-25, in addition to the Providence game, UND will host Boston University in a home series, ...

You mean the Boston U that reportedly just created an 80% kill rate version of the corona virus? 

Personally, I'd find someone else. They can stay away. 

• Upvote 1