SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

23 hours ago, BusinessSoot said:

We hear all about culture from Berry all the time. No doubt culture/traditional over the years is one of the best in college. However, let's look at what has happened since the end of last year. The reward for a third consecutive conference championship:  1) Two additions from the portal, and retuning players find out through hear say and social media. I'm sure there was shock and ah and a "what the heck is going on".  2) Calder told come back at a reduced role, three weeks after the season ended, or transfer. We still need forwards to puck in net....3) Ferner, received similar message (Farmer in (which not impressive thus far) = Ferner make a decision to return or not).  4) Portz, kid plays in all 39 games last year, starts this year on outside looking in. 5) Albrecht similar scenario, he ends last part of last season as one of our best forwards down stretch. (arguably best forward vs ND). He gets the reward of watching from stands on opening night and on parents weekend to boot. 

No loyalty to some that help you get through thick and thin last year? That is perception that I and some I talk to at games are asking.

Players come and go, yes. Players need to earn their spot, yes. And there will always be talent at UND. But for a team last year to go through everything they went through, and to have abrupt changes to roster/locker room before college season was even over last year, seems a bit off for me. Players with college experience getting passed up early on by "potential" of others. And yes, some of the freshman are justified in their roles thus far. You have to wonder if these changes/decisions have had an effect on the locker room at all and does everyone right now trust "the process".   I get it,  it is a business, but is the current business model working???? Guess time will tell.

Hope the roster gets it all figured out for a nice run in Feb/March.

You sure have a lot of information, Nick Por... err BusinssSoot

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

You sure have a lot of information, Nick Por... err BusinssSoot

Nick Por...er ?? Whoever that is, you have the wrong person in mind.

I have a lot less info than some and if you follow Twitter timelines of people coming and going from the program since last Spring, and talk to a few people here and there, not difficult to piece some things together. I'm just a guy who follows UND hockey very closely and post on here from time to time.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:32 AM, BusinessSoot said:

We hear all about culture from Berry all the time. No doubt culture/traditional over the years is one of the best in college. However, let's look at what has happened since the end of last year. The reward for a third consecutive conference championship:  2) Calder told come back at a reduced role, three weeks after the season ended, or transfer. We still need forwards to puck in net.... 4) Portz, kid plays in all 39 games last year, starts this year on outside looking in. 5) Albrecht similar scenario, he ends last part of last season as one of our best forwards down stretch.

First, none of us are in the UND locker room; maybe, just maybe, said player wasn't a good fit for the program? Maybe he wasn't a good teammate. Maybe there were other issues that came up. It's easy to sit and speculate from the sidelines. We all do it. The coaching staff has already stated this fall that the team is loaded with talent and there are going to be tough lineup decisions to make. I am glad I am not making these decisions. What you did last week, isn't always a guarantee to playing next week, especially if you have a bad week in practice. I do know the team is working hard. Yesterday, when I went to the press conference, there were still players out on the ice practicing after the official practice was over. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Goon said:

First, none of us are in the UND locker room; maybe, just maybe, said player wasn't a good fit for the program? Maybe he wasn't a good teammate. Maybe there were other issues that came up. It's easy to sit and speculate from the sidelines. We all do it. The coaching staff has already stated this fall that the team is loaded with talent and there are going to be tough lineup decisions to make. I am glad I am not making these decisions. What you did last week, isn't always a guarantee to playing next week, especially if you have a bad week in practice. I do know the team is working hard. Yesterday, when I went to the press conference, there were still players out on the ice practicing after the official practice was over. 

Possible. I had not heard anything to that point. 

Regardless the situation, the current roster has to have the best players be the best players, consistently. Good news is with Frisch -6, Kleven -7, Gaber-5, Schmaltz -4, McLaughlin -5 ,  they are  aware their 5 on 5 play needs to improve and I suspect it will. 

Hoping for improvement this weekend against UNO.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:32 AM, BusinessSoot said:

We hear all about culture from Berry all the time. No doubt culture/traditional over the years is one of the best in college. However, let's look at what has happened since the end of last year. The reward for a third consecutive conference championship:  1) Two additions from the portal, and retuning players find out through hear say and social media. I'm sure there was shock and ah and a "what the heck is going on".  2) Calder told come back at a reduced role, three weeks after the season ended, or transfer. We still need forwards to puck in net....3) Ferner, received similar message (Farmer in (which not impressive thus far) = Ferner make a decision to return or not).  4) Portz, kid plays in all 39 games last year, starts this year on outside looking in. 5) Albrecht similar scenario, he ends last part of last season as one of our best forwards down stretch. (arguably best forward vs ND). He gets the reward of watching from stands on opening night and on parents weekend to boot. 

No loyalty to some that help you get through thick and thin last year? That is perception that I and some I talk to at games are asking.

Players come and go, yes. Players need to earn their spot, yes. And there will always be talent at UND. But for a team last year to go through everything they went through, and to have abrupt changes to roster/locker room before college season was even over last year, seems a bit off for me. Players with college experience getting passed up early on by "potential" of others. And yes, some of the freshman are justified in their roles thus far. You have to wonder if these changes/decisions have had an effect on the locker room at all and does everyone right now trust "the process".   I get it,  it is a business, but is the current business model working???? Guess time will tell.

Hope the roster gets it all figured out for a nice run in Feb/March.

Just to clarify a couple things... Calder was actually not asked to come back. He was told he didn't have a scholarship because we wanted to bring in our recruits -- James, being the most timely after his junior performance last season. So, we had A LOT of consternation of losing Spicer because we kept older guys... can you imagine if that would have happened with Calder?

Ferner got married and went to play pro hockey in Europe. He made his own decision.

Farmer has been absolutely everything that was expected, so I am not sure what you're seeing, sorry.

As far as Portz and Albrecht go... earn your spot, homie. You guys want all of our young studs on the ice or some grizzled vets? Pick your poison. 

17 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Just to clarify a couple things... Calder was actually not asked to come back. He was told he didn't have a scholarship because we wanted to bring in our recruits -- James, being the most timely after his junior performance last season. So, we had A LOT of consternation of losing Spicer because we kept older guys... can you imagine if that would have happened with Calder?

Ferner got married and went to play pro hockey in Europe. He made his own decision.

Farmer has been absolutely everything that was expected, so I am not sure what you're seeing, sorry.

As far as Portz and Albrecht go... earn your spot, homie. You guys want all of our young studs on the ice or some grizzled vets? Pick your poison. 

I think Portz has been good when he’s been in the lineup this season, but I’m not sure who you would play him over. The 4th line is the most volatile spot to be this year, there’s a lot of guys we could have there. 

• Upvote 2

I got to listen to the has-beens podcast and Ausmus, Olson, and Gaber’s comments about reading stuff on the Sioux forum. Whoever from this forum here recommended to go listen to it,  I want to say thank you! That was some funny sh*t! Just about peed my pants, I was laughing so hard! 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

I got to listen to the has-beens podcast and Ausmus, Olson, and Gaber’s comments about reading stuff on the Sioux forum. Whoever from this forum here recommended to go listen to it,  I want to say thank you! That was some funny sh*t! Just about peed my pants, I was laughing so hard! 

It’s entertaining to listen to for the most part. That part was pretty good. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

1)Yep, three weeks after UND season had ended. Kid was lucky to end up where he ended up based on the timing of the decision.  

2)Ferner is not in Europe. His decision was based off of Farmer coming and  from what I was told, his role would diminish. So yes, he made his own decision.

Both examples (1&2)  of how this has turned into a cut throat business with the portal and telling two guys (from the portal a year ago) with eligibility left, that plans have changed. Reasonable to assume both players had planned to be in Grand Forks for their last two years of eligibility. 

3) Your opinion, you are entitled to that. My opinion is the 7 eligible dmen coming back had a chance to have another solid year together, without Farmer. We'll never know what could have been, and maybe by years end, everything works out where these current 8 dmen have a solid year overall as does the team and it is a moot point. If coaching staff feels Farmer gives team a better chance to win and make a deeper run than last year, so be it. They are the ones getting paid to make those decisions.

4) I'm taking grizzled vets on fourth line all day long........

23 minutes ago, BusinessSoot said:

1)Yep, three weeks after UND season had ended. Kid was lucky to end up where he ended up based on the timing of the decision.  

2)Ferner is not in Europe. His decision was based off of Farmer coming and  from what I was told, his role would diminish. So yes, he made his own decision.

Both examples (1&2)  of how this has turned into a cut throat business with the portal and telling two guys (from the portal a year ago) with eligibility left, that plans have changed. Reasonable to assume both players had planned to be in Grand Forks for their last two years of eligibility. 

3) Your opinion, you are entitled to that. My opinion is the 7 eligible dmen coming back had a chance to have another solid year together, without Farmer. We'll never know what could have been, and maybe by years end, everything works out where these current 8 dmen have a solid year overall as does the team and it is a moot point. If coaching staff feels Farmer gives team a better chance to win and make a deeper run than last year, so be it. They are the ones getting paid to make those decisions.

4) I'm taking grizzled vets on fourth line all day long........

Ferner was absolutely looking at Europe for pro hockey. I guess I haven't followed him since he left. With your overall point of players taking other players spots and loyalty, I guess I just want the best player on the ice. I absolutely think Farmer is a better player than Ferner and that's not a knock on Ferner. 

Yes, it's pretty clear the coaching staff thinks Farmer is a better player/the right player as he's here and Ferner is not. 

Calder got pushed out due to the rookies, not the portal. We needed to give his scholarship to an incoming freshman. I guess I just don't see a problem there.

Lastly, apparently Portz and/or Albrecht aren't earning their spot during the week. So, I don't know what to tell ya.

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I absolutely think Farmer is a better player than Ferner and that's not a knock on Ferner.

Calder got pushed out due to the rookies, not the portal. We needed to give his scholarship to an incoming freshman. I guess I just don't see a problem there.

Yes agreed.  Farmer > Ferner based on what I've seen so far.

My understanding of the Calder situation was that since the NCAA put the limits back on scholarship money after the temporary lift during COVID, that he was going to be left with very minimal or no scholarship...which wouldn't be ideal for any student athlete.  I don't blame him one bit for looking elsewhere for a team that had scholarship money to spare. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yes agreed.  Farmer > Ferner based on what I've seen so far.

My understanding of the Calder situation was that since the NCAA put the limits back on scholarship money after the temporary lift during COVID, that he was going to be left with very minimal or no scholarship...which wouldn't be ideal for any student athlete.  I don't blame him one bit for looking elsewhere for a team that had scholarship money to spare. 

Yep. No scholarship. He definitely made a smart decision, IMO. 

all of the talk of who should be in, who is in, ect...leaves me wondering what james is doing wrong in practice to earn a seat in the stands in vegas( and a couple other games).  kid is pretty solid come game time, from what i have seen.  dont believe we have lost with him in the lineup.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

That’s the great thing about this board. We push James back to retain Calder and James decided to go elsewhere this board would be on fire. Dammed if you do, damned if you don’t.