SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

That Frattin OT winner game will forever be in my memory, not only because of the game obviously, but my wife found out her grandfather passed away during the third period.  I offered to her that we leave the game and go back to the hotel and just take some time to reflect, but she said that he always really liked me and would be really ticked off if he knew that I left a game on account of him.  The rest of the game was pretty bittersweet due to the circumstances, but still got to witness a great moment. 

That's a great little story man. I bet he's glad you stayed. Go Sioux!

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Between the save and the multiple water bottle pops this is worth watching too. Obviously we look back with tinted glasses because of our success in it, but the Final Five was truly special.

Boy, was Trupp on fire that game. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

https://www.therinklive.com/inside-trl/which-team-may-surprise-people-in-the-nchc-key-takeaways-from-media-day-key-conference-players-to-watch

Here’s the link to the NCHC media day podcast with Schlossman, Myers, Wellen, Hattin, and Paisley. 

Hey right on, thanks for sharing dude. Lots of good insight here. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

https://www.therinklive.com/inside-trl/which-team-may-surprise-people-in-the-nchc-key-takeaways-from-media-day-key-conference-players-to-watch

Here’s the link to the NCHC media day podcast with Schlossman, Myers, Wellen, Hattin, and Paisley. 

Schloss says Blake &  McLaughlin are "pass first" guys and could give Gaber a boost toward league MVP this year.  I certainly look forward to watching that unfold.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, FightingSU said:

Why do you think Gaber is still unsigned and do you think he will head to the NHL after UND? Do you think he gets signed this year? Senior year? 

He was very small when he was 16. It's really that simple. I think Gaber will definitely have options after UND and could find his way into the NHL one day. He's got good feet, a really nice shot, and he works hard. If he continues to develop defensively, he could definitely be an NHLer.

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He was very small when he was 16. It's really that simple. I think Gaber will definitely have options after UND and could find his way into the NHL one day. He's got good feet, a really nice shot, and he works hard. If he continues to develop defensively, he could definitely be an NHLer.

He’s bigger than Grimaldi though. What would be the significance of being small at 16, and not 18 etc?

11 minutes ago, jk said:

There's only room for about one small guy on an NHL team, so about 32 jobs total.  Guys that size usually need to be explosive skaters, like Grimaldi, for instance.  I'm not sure Gaber fits that mold, and I think he still faces long odds to be a regular NHL player.  That said, there are a lot of places to play hockey for money, and I expect that he can have a long career if he wants to.  Most importantly for me, he's an excellent college player. 

That’s true. I guess he can still technically 

play for another two years for UND still.  Time will tell. He still has a while to develop. 

39 minutes ago, jk said:

There's only room for about one small guy on an NHL team, so about 32 jobs total.  Guys that size usually need to be explosive skaters, like Grimaldi, for instance.  I'm not sure Gaber fits that mold, and I think he still faces long odds to be a regular NHL player.  That said, there are a lot of places to play hockey for money, and I expect that he can have a long career if he wants to.  Most importantly for me, he's an excellent college player. 

It sounded to me like he impressed at Bruins camp, and I believe he will have a lot of offers after this year, especially if he is in the conversation for league MVP.  Doesn’t mean he will stick, but I think someone will sign him, hopefully he stays here to keep working on becoming the complete player.

• Upvote 2

Just now, tnt said:

It sounded to me like he impressed at Bruins camp, and I believe he will have a lot of offers after this year, especially if he is in the conversation for league MVP.  Doesn’t mean he will stick, but I think someone will sign him, hopefully he stays here to keep working on becoming the complete player.

That’s why it’s great that’s if he can/wants to or whatever he could have another full two seasons skating for UND. That’s a lot of development. On top of you bring right, it sounded like he really impressed at the Bruins camp, some people were even cracking jokes that hopefully they don’t sign him. Haha. 

so I think that sentiment along with the possibility of 1-2 more years skating in the NCHC, I think good chance he gets signed! 

29 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The Rink Live podcast mentioned that the league looked at ESPN+ and FloHockey to replace NCHC.tv. Either ESPN low-balled them or the league is raking it in with their own streaming platform. Maybe a combination of the two.

The media guys on the rink live podcast talked about this and it sounds like sticking with the NCHC.tv is a lot more lucrative for the conference. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FightingSU said:

I like NCHC tv and I Like the fact is conference owned and the money is going to the conference. Screw ESPN/Disney

If ESPN doubled the payout compared to what they make on their own, they would no longer have the expense of running it themselves, and eyeballs would skyrocket with casual observers and potential new fans. I'm personally fine with the status quo but ratings drive college athletics.

A hypothetical Summit League hockey conference would be foolish to not partner with a major provider.