SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

4 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Start at the 1 hour mark of the Has-Beens podcast to hear what current & former players think of this site, it's pretty damn funny and spot on

Includes Keaton Thompson throwing his phone across the room in the 2013-14 season :lol:

Ha nice, I can only imagine.  :D
I've never listed to a podcast before (how old am I?)...what was the gist?

13 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Ha nice, I can only imagine.  :D
I've never listed to a podcast before (how old am I?)...what was the gist?

Sounds like the 13-14 team got a little deep into SS.com(probably too deep), reading comments and stuff after games of players getting ripped.  Just commenting on all the hot takes about guys on here watching from the stands saying this player should have done this or that & they have no idea what it's like on the ice at the speed the game moves.  Gage also commented how much pressure players at UND face because of how passionate our fanbase is.  

56 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I had a computer class with Matt Jones when I was at UND...was probably 2003 (?) or so right after I had joined ss.com, and I sat directly behind him.
He was on siouxsports literally every day looking on the forum.  :)

I guess that shouldn't surprise from a guy who hustled into every corner.  

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/gavin-hain-and-his-linemates-are-carrying-und-at-even-strength

UND's top power-play unit was elite in the first month of the season.

It converted at 34.3 percent, the second-best clip in the nation.

Ten of the 12 power-play goals came from the top unit. The mainstays on that unit have been Riese Gaber in the right circle, Jackson Blake in the left circle, Chris Jandric at the top and Jake Schmaltz on the goal line. UND has rotated people between the hashmarks.

Some numbers coming out of that unit have been quite impressive.

UND has scored on the power play in every game this season. Outside of the Ivy League schools, which started play last weekend, UND is the only team in the nation to do that.

The Fighting Hawks have tallied three power-play goals in a single game twice. Jandric is the first defenseman in UND history to have 10 points in the month of October. All but one of his 11 points have come with the man advantage.

The success of the top power-play unit has covered up UND's lack of five-on-five production, though.

Hain and Senden have more even-strength goals (eight) than the rest of the team combined (six).

11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Never mind UND at #10…who’s the homer who has UCONN at #1?

Hard to see us below all those teams, but season is very early. Lets get the conference play under way and see how things shake out. NCHC performance for all the NC games wasn't to impressive so we have to start getting sweeps here.. starting THIS WEEKEND.

14 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

Hard to see us below all those teams, but season is very early. Lets get the conference play under way and see how things shake out. NCHC performance for all the NC games wasn't to impressive so we have to start getting sweeps here.. starting THIS WEEKEND.

Throwing out the results against Atlantic Hockey, here is the current non conference winning percentages

Big 10  .672

CCHA .415

ECAC  .348

H. E.   .645

NCHC  .606

• Upvote 1

We hear all about culture from Berry all the time. No doubt culture/traditional over the years is one of the best in college. However, let's look at what has happened since the end of last year. The reward for a third consecutive conference championship:  1) Two additions from the portal, and retuning players find out through hear say and social media. I'm sure there was shock and ah and a "what the heck is going on".  2) Calder told come back at a reduced role, three weeks after the season ended, or transfer. We still need forwards to puck in net....3) Ferner, received similar message (Farmer in (which not impressive thus far) = Ferner make a decision to return or not).  4) Portz, kid plays in all 39 games last year, starts this year on outside looking in. 5) Albrecht similar scenario, he ends last part of last season as one of our best forwards down stretch. (arguably best forward vs ND). He gets the reward of watching from stands on opening night and on parents weekend to boot. 

No loyalty to some that help you get through thick and thin last year? That is perception that I and some I talk to at games are asking.

Players come and go, yes. Players need to earn their spot, yes. And there will always be talent at UND. But for a team last year to go through everything they went through, and to have abrupt changes to roster/locker room before college season was even over last year, seems a bit off for me. Players with college experience getting passed up early on by "potential" of others. And yes, some of the freshman are justified in their roles thus far. You have to wonder if these changes/decisions have had an effect on the locker room at all and does everyone right now trust "the process".   I get it,  it is a business, but is the current business model working???? Guess time will tell.

Hope the roster gets it all figured out for a nice run in Feb/March.

Listening to last week’s The Has-beens episode with Gaber while folding laundry and the wife walks in the room and she can’t help but hear all the f bombs that Ausmus was dropping while talking about the UND/Gopher series. She’s like, “is that the only word in the vocabulary of a hockey player???” -I’m like, “yah pretty much.” Classic.