SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

11 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

If ESPN doubled the payout compared to what they make on their own, they would no longer have the expense of running it themselves, and eyeballs would skyrocket with casual observers and potential new fans. I'm personally fine with the status quo but ratings drive college athletics.

A hypothetical Summit League hockey conference would be foolish to not partner with a major provider.

You’re not wrong. It would expand the fan base, or at least viewers per game, no doubt. It would give the college level of the game a whole new level of prestige to be on TV that often, and viewer ship would probably be decent considering it’s winter and you’ve got weekend series, so it’s something to watch for a casual fan, or someone who’s just looking for something to watch. 

1 hour ago, jk said:

Looking at the rankings, those back to back October weekends against Q and Mn should be interesting.  I've felt that UND has often not been sharp before about Thanksgiving, so they could be extra challenging. 

Using my gorilla math, UND is 52-15-14 before thanksgiving under Coach Berry for a 64% win percentage.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

LOL do tell. Feels fairly standard with Northeastern a little higher than many polls I've seen.

Yeah, I think the top five could go a number of different ways, as each team has a bunch of positives.  How teams come together could be what separates the top teams.  I find it interesting that the author says that Duluth was supposed to be weak last year without guys like Perunovich and Tufte.  Tufte hasn't played for them since 2018-2019, so using him as an example seem odd.  That's like saying we were supposed to be weak last year due to not having guys like Nick Jones or Rhett Gardner. 

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Using my gorilla math, UND is 52-15-14 before thanksgiving under Coach Berry for a 64% win percentage.

That's amazing.  I'm scarred from some of Hak's trips out East, like one where UND got annihilated by Maine.  Also even last year at Q, where UND pretty much got worked all weekend long, but somehow got a split out of it.  In fact, much of the first half last year was UND getting blown out Friday and then squeaking out a win Saturday.  At least it seemed that way.