SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Recruiting

Hambone

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

These athletes get missed when recruiters focus more on listed height and weight, sometimes quality of hs competition (small school kids) rather than quickness, foot speed, overall athletic ability and projecting potential for those athletes. The best recruiters see the potential in these kids and get them on campus where the programs develop them as they physically mature. 
To me this is one of the keys to improving programs. Waletzko, Hegg, are two examples but there are many over the years. Also seeing the potential of hs kids who can play other positions in college. (ie can the 6’ 6” QB from DGF play free safety, TE, OLB or DE at this level? ). 

Totally agree, but it seems like NDSU and UND are good at finding those kids. Mauch and Haeg come to mind for NDSU.  Both PWO’s from small schools, both probably in the NFL.  

50 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

Totally agree, but it seems like NDSU and UND are good at finding those kids. Mauch and Haeg come to mind for NDSU.  Both PWO’s from small schools, both probably in the NFL.  

Those are the cherries on top that make a recruiting class special.  NDSU has been absolutely ELITE at developing PWOs into pro-level talent.  UND has had plenty that have done well in the program too.  The problem I see with our recruiting is sometimes we are too reliant on diamonds in the rough.  There are a lot of PWOs in the portal looking for drop down homes these days too.  You need a mix of both studs and diamonds to excel at this level.  NDSU has that market cornered...we need to catch up.

And yes that means I'm agreeing with UND-FB-Fan's assertion that we don't have enough "D1 bodies" on the roster.  We need to get better at winning some battles and not relying solely on evaluation of under the radar kids.  That's always going to be a big emphasis for us...and I like how we did in some of the higher profile battles we had last year, but progress needs to continue to be made in my opinion.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NDSU grad said:

Yup. Often those kids are seen at summer FB camps where coaches see their potential. Haeg was a miss by both UND and NDSU. Very bright, great athlete, great work ethic. Neither offered $ but fortunately for NDSU neither did UND. Former UND tackle coaching at Brainerd told anyone who would listen this kid would be good. Gophers missed on him altogether. Lots of similars stories over the years. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, SooToo said:

I wonder what, if anything, this signing says about the status of the offer to Hakim, the  receiver from Shanley.

Guessing you’re right but hopeful you’re not.  Watching him play basketball this year and the kid is just a real fluid athlete and looks college ready already. 

15 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Hudl says 4.56 40.....not sure how padded that is.  Shows he ran a 50.07 400M which is a pretty good time.  

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13274055/Michael-Gross

He shows a 4.44 on his profile. He also shows a 4.57 and 4.64 from UND's camp. Either way, I assume the staff is comfortable with what they saw this summer.

12 hours ago, jdub27 said:

He shows a 4.44 on his profile. He also shows a 4.57 and 4.64 from UND's camp. Either way, I assume the staff is comfortable with what they saw this summer.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place on his hudl? Shows 4.56 on his hudl when I look. If UND shows that time from their camp it's probably legit. 

Screenshot_20221207-205921.png

10 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place on his hudl? Shows 4.56 on his hudl when I look. If UND shows that time from their camp it's probably legit. 

Screenshot_20221207-205921.png

Just different info in different spots.
His Twitter bio shows the 4.44.
He tweeted out his UND numbers from July.

4 hours ago, SiouxBoys said:

Such a shame our coaches have such an "I just work here" mentality.....

Every coach in the country does in home visits, even the sh*tty ones. But, well, you see what you want to see. As a disclaimer, for you folks who like to jump to conclusions, Danny Freund is NOT a sh*tty coach. 

With that said, happy to see Bubba and Danny out there. Starting to look real good on Kaminski recruiting front … 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1