SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Recruiting

Hambone

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I count 5 guys with competing offers from playoff eligible D1 schools out of 22 verbals. That ratio should be reversed.

For example NDSU has competing D1 offers for all their 18 verbals except for 3.

You’re spot on. Be careful, most folks on here don’t like it when you point out the roster is filled with high end D2 players. It’s reality. There are some good players on the roster, don’t get me wrong, but not enough. Need to go out and change that this off season. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

My number one issue with how we recruit is there isn't any balance. It's like we can only focus on a couple positions and improve them while neglecting others.

I’ve thought that for years. They recruit in waves instead of balance. I don’t understand the mentality. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, MadScout03 said:

I’ve thought that for years. They recruit in waves instead of balance. I don’t understand the mentality. 

When it comes down to it, it’s just poor recruiting. Couple that with poor development, and you get average football. Don’t get me wrong, UND football does average and could always be worse, so some credit there. 

*BUT* the current staff’s recruiting and development/teaching plan is no where near that of NDSU and SDSU. I’m losing hope that UND can overcome those two programs with the current staff unless NDSU and SDSU both lose their staffs or else some NCAA penalties (for who knows what?) are imposed.

Again, waiting for those programs to descend rather than UND just ascending themselves is going to be a long, long wait. 

• Downvote 3

20 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

My number one issue with how we recruit is there isn't any balance. It's like we can only focus on a couple positions and improve them while neglecting others.

It wouldn't seem that difficult. We tend to bring in about 22 every year. Hmmm... football ... 22 guys. How could you break that down ...

5 OL, 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR or some similar mix of RB/TE/WR .... that's 11
7 DL/LBs, 2 safeties, 2 corners .. or similar mix ... that's another 11

I say, that's near genius! :D ;)  

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

It wouldn't seem that difficult. We tend to bring in about 22 every year. Hmmm... football ... 22 guys. How could you break that down ...

5 OL, 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR or some similar mix of RB/TE/WR .... that's 11
7 DL/LBs, 2 safeties, 2 corners .. or similar mix ... that's another 11

I say, that's near genius! :D ;)  

You should be recruiting a whole line-up every season, agreed. But the staff sometimes cuts corners on that. Why?

Recruiting is hard I guess? ??? 

-poor Bubba and staff. 

2 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:
On 11/15/2022 at 9:55 PM, shep said:
Morning Mpls papers says Jack Liwienski of Minnetonka committed to North Dakota. He is a center and on the all metro state team he is the son of former Viking Chris Liwienski and has had “a lifetime of training.”

Wasn't it NDSU?  Maybe I misremember