SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Recruiting

Hambone

7 minutes ago, shep said:

Real World.

UND better get ready for this.

This ain't going to be meaningful at this level of football. For a 5-star guy dealing with huge fanbases?  Sure.  He can do something hokey and novel like this.  At the FCS level, whats he gonna get?  A couple dozen people paying a few bucks?

I’m not so sure. Probably not card sales or shirts. Will the mattress company give more than the Red Pepper?  What will it cost to get a 2 or 3 star to UND or NDSU. Scholarships and championships may no longer be as high of a priority as before. The Power 5’s and schools in metro areas or nearby big businesses will be able to sweeten the offers for recruits. Starting to wonder about hockey. 

No question that Power 5 programs compared to FCS will have significantly more financial power to recruit players, but don’t for one second think that some FCS communities won’t put together sizable offers as well. Think Montana, Montana State, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, etc.

it’s going to happen.

UND also needs to be at the forefront. Sure, UND themselves can’t tackle name-image-likeness (NIL), but the fan base and the Grand Forks community needs to get onboard before they’re way behind the 8 ball. 

55 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No question that Power 5 programs compared to FCS will have significantly more financial power to recruit players, but don’t for one second think that some FCS communities won’t put together sizable offers as well. Think Montana, Montana State, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, etc.

it’s going to happen.

UND also needs to be at the forefront. Sure, UND themselves can’t tackle name-image-likeness (NIL), but the fan base and the Grand Forks community needs to get onboard before they’re way behind the 8 ball. 

I totally agree…some college towns have formed (?non-profits) to accept donations for NIL. They have been very successful….even accept donations at home games.

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You seem to have the passion. Get on it. What's your NIL group going to be called? 

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Maybe SS.com could put one together? We have a good group of UND supporters who frequent this site on a regular basis. We could put it together pretty quickly.

The biggest issue with these is having someone to oversee it and be the ultimate decider in where the money goes not to mention probably figure out how to bring donations in. That is going to require work. And (most) people don't work for free. So all the sudden you're needing to fundraise even more just to get someone to over see the whole thing.

Not impossible by any means, just something that needs to be considered.

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The biggest issue with these is having someone to oversee it and be the ultimate decider in where the money goes not to mention probably figure out how to bring donations in. That is going to require work. And (most) people don't work for free. So all the sudden you're needing to fundraise even more just to get someone to over see the whole thing.

Yeah I spoke to someone who is close with a guy that runs the collective at a P5 school (not a very good one), and he’s not doing it for free. 

20 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It also needs to be someone who is on the ground in GF, Fargo and the surrounding areas getting businesses on board. It's not enough to just go after high net worth alumni. Get a list of alumni and sift through to isolate the business owners and approach them. Then go after alumni in high ranking corporate positions who have pull. IDK, seems like a good place to start but this is more than a part time gig.

26 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

It also needs to be someone who is on the ground in GF, Fargo and the surrounding areas getting businesses on board. It's not enough to just go after high net worth alumni. Get a list of alumni and sift through to isolate the business owners and approach them. Then go after alumni in high ranking corporate positions who have pull. IDK, seems like a good place to start but this is more than a part time gig.

And with that, the first 6 figures raised go right to whoever is running it (assuming you want someone competent). 

Like I said, not a hurdle, but definitely something that needs to be considered when everyone is tossing out how easy it would be get something started.

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2022 at 9:26 AM, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

Doing everything they can to keep Wisconsins grubby mits off of him, well done

Agree, I feel better about him staying with us seeing those pictures.  It's obvious Bubba and Danny know we need a great QB to take us to the next level and are making him a priority. 

It seems like I recall Lennon in an interview or something talking about how he visited the Dressler family back in the day, and that it was pretty unusual for him to actually go out and visit players/family at their place.  I could be wrong or remembering in correctly on this, but at the time I recall being surprised by him saying that....as I figured he probably went to visit a fair amount of the top recruits....but it sounded like he rarely did.  Obviously was a good call doing it for Dressler given how that turned out.  Others probably have a much better insight on this.....as to how often the head coach normally goes out to visit the kid and their family. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

And with that, the first 6 figures raised go right to whoever is running it (assuming you want someone competent). 

Like I said, not a hurdle, but definitely something that needs to be considered when everyone is tossing out how easy it would be get something started.

Hmm. Six figures, you say?

Allright, I formally apply for the job. I have no fund-raising experience and I'm not comfortable doing cold calls. I don't know any filthy rich alumni, but I did meet Eddie Belfour at a private residence one time circa 1988. I was only nine or ten years old at the time, so maybe that doesn't help. If back rooms filled with cigars and scotch/bourbon are involved, I'm pretty good at that. Anyway, for six figures I promise to try my best, and if all six are a lot bigger than zero, I'll learn to do even better than that!

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Kelly Howe.  Easy!  Everyone knows him, well respected both as a person (I assume) and in regard to his evaluation of the program, former player, has passion, lives locally.
Doubt he would quit his job, but I think an NIL group could be successful if someone else worked on it full time while having Kelly involved in the decision making process.  Would add a lot of credibility I'd think.

19 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I’m not so sure. Probably not card sales or shirts. Will the mattress company give more than the Red Pepper?  What will it cost to get a 2 or 3 star to UND or NDSU. Scholarships and championships may no longer be as high of a priority as before. The Power 5’s and schools in metro areas or nearby big businesses will be able to sweeten the offers for recruits. Starting to wonder about hockey. 

I guess my thinking is that the sort of money a Mattress v. Red Pepper type battle isn't going to have such a substantial delta between the offers to make it a deciding factor for kids.  It seems like one thing when Oregon promises a kid "hey we will hook you up with $200K just to pick our school" and then Texas A&M comes in and says "we can get you double that!"  $200,000 is a substantial sum of money to leave on the table.  It makes sense they'd go to TAMU.  Those schools are also fighting over prized high 4 and 5 star recruits, not 2-3 star kids.  Lots of the latter, few of the former.

But with NDSU and UND - I just don't see the hunger developing between much more modest sized fanbases fighting over the types of recruits that exist all over the place.  If a kid wants to go to NDSU or UND - I don't see some small modest sum of money changing their mind to go elsewhere.  I see the bigger thing being "hey if you come here and are a star on the team, local businesses in the community/state will throw some money at you for advertisements/billboards/corny mattress commercials."

Hockey I could see more of the big school NIL stuff happening, considering UND's place in the hockey world and some of the schools they go up against there.  

• Upvote 1