SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Recruiting

Hambone

8 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Both D2 schools have better facilities.

That won’t be the case in a couple years. Furthermore, it *CAN’T* be the case in a couple years.

But I agree, at this juncture, the actual student-athlete experience is adversely affected by the outdated facilities. What fans see (Alerus Center on Gameday, Fitz Pollard athletic center for spring ball) is quite nice for FCS, but the other facilities (and where the work is actually done) beyond that (weight room, sports medicine/training room, meeting rooms, coaches offices, nutrition space/cafeteria) are still D2 level. This will be elevated with phase 2 project completion, and it is desperately needed to elevate recruiting. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

They have nicer stuff than us. Pretty impressive for D2s but it also highlights how badly we need to get our !@#$ together. Weber, the montanas, the other dakotas, they all have us beat currently.

Case in point.

Spot on. You have to put yourself (or at least try put yourself) in these kids’ shoes. When they walk into the weight room, training rooms, meeting rooms, etc. at UND, it’s not good enough. Not at the level of NDSU, Montana, or South Dakota State, that’s for sure. They want bright shiny and new; at this juncture, that’s not UND.

Good news is there is a plan in place to address this, fortunately. But it also highlights why UND football’s issues the past decade plus as a DI school have certainly included inability to recruit (in addition to some other issues). On this fan forum, every commit is hyped up to be the next Barry Sanders, but if you take your UND glasses off, most are D2 level recruits. Need to elevate that for UND to take the next step. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Spot on. You have to put yourself (or at least try put yourself) in these kids’ shoes. When they walk into the weight room, training rooms, meeting rooms, etc. at UND, it’s not good enough. Not at the level of NDSU, Montana, or South Dakota State, that’s for sure. They want bright shiny and new; at this juncture, that’s not UND.

Good news is there is a plan in place to address this, fortunately. But it also highlights why UND football’s issues the past decade plus as a DI school have certainly included inability to recruit) in addiction to some other issues). On this fan forum, every commit is hyped up to be the next Barry Sanders, but if you take your UND glasses off, most are D2 level recruits. Need to elevate that for UND to take the next step. 

Agree 100%.

30 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They have nicer stuff than us. Pretty impressive for D2s but it also highlights how badly we need to get our !@#$ together. Weber, the montanas, the other dakotas, they all have us beat currently.

Case in point.

I find it very hard to believe MSU offered him a full ride after only holding Houston Baptist and Montana State offers.  But you never know 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Please explain. 

For starters, to get to their indoor practice facility, players at Pit State don't need to walk a quarter mile outside after getting suited up in the locker room.  Same size indoor field.  Weight room overlooks indoor field.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

FBS can only do full rides so if they offered a scholly that’s what it was. Maybe it was disingenuous verbiage? 

Right but just seems quite odd for a Big Ten school to offer that considering no Texas schools thought he was worth a scholarship other than Houston Christian or whatever they are called now

26 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

FBS can only do full rides so if they offered a scholly that’s what it was. Maybe it was disingenuous verbiage? 

Can only sign if the school lets you.  Think a lot of people forget that many offers are not actionable. But I think schools are usually pretty good about not putting a kid on blast "we told him months ago we didn't have room for him" or whatever.

59 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I could find one ... that is a decade old. 

Whatever you saw has probably been tore down since the picture was taken.

Pretty sure the most I've seen of the current locker room is from the background of an Otis Weah tiktoc dance video.  :unsure:

Anyway, the facilities situation with this recruit is kinda why I think it's funny that anyone claims UND has peaked under Bubba.  With the current facilities, sure.  But they will soon (suposedly) be much better.  I'd like to see what he can do at that point.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Whatever you saw has probably been tore down since the picture was taken.

Pretty sure the most I've seen of the current locker room is from the background of an Otis Weah tiktoc dance video.  :unsure:

Anyway, the facilities situation with this recruit is kinda why I think it's funny that anyone claims UND has peaked under Bubba.  With the current facilities, sure.  But they will soon (suposedly) be much better.  I'd like to see what he can do at that point.

Will having better facilities have him not admit defeat against NDSU by punting when down multiple scores in the 4th? Will it change his reluctance to make a change until it is blatantly obvious that it needs to be made?  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Goose15 said:

Will having better facilities have him not admit defeat against NDSU by punting when down multiple scores in the 4th? Will it change his reluctance to make a change until it is blatantly obvious that it needs to be made?  

No and No.

But he *should* be able to recruit better players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

I agree UND will have better facilities and that should definitely help. If that doesn’t help, then you definitely need to find someone with more youthful energy and insight to sell the vision.

For now, it’s Bubba’s job description, so hence go forth and see what can be done. 

• Like 1