SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Recruiting

Hambone

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2023 at 6:05 PM, Bison Dan said:

IMO NIL is a terrible thing for college athletes and yes if a recruit decides on a school because of NIL then that school is buying their players.  How do the people running the NIL know which players the coaches want or is after they offer them?

Changed your tune pretty quick there Danno....

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

LOL - If everyone is going to do it you have to keep up.  Doesn't change my opinion about NIL as a whole.  

Which is it? Are you trying to keep up or are you on the forefront?
Hint, it isn't the latter, NDSU is the 5th Valley team just in the Valley and 20th in the FCS to announce a collective.

Will be interesting to see both where the money is coming from and how its disbursed. Not shocking that it is only directed at football, MBB and WBB. Intrigued to see how much the latter two actually get though. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Which is it? Are you trying to keep up or are you on the forefront?
Hint, it isn't the latter, NDSU is the 5th Valley team just in the Valley and 20th in the FCS to announce a collective.

Will be interesting to see both where the money is coming from and how its disbursed. Not shocking that it is only directed at football, MBB and WBB. Intrigued to see how much the latter two actually get though. 

Private money vs. taxpayer money.  

1 hour ago, SlowHand said:

NIL is simply buying players.  It sucks.  I hate that NDSU did it, but these days you almost have to.

It’s compensating players based on their value. Given that regular students can work a job and get paid it’s only fair that athletes can make a buck off of their time in college athletics.

• Like 1

So, you are comparing a normal student who end up with $26,000 x 4 or $104,000 in debt to athletes at the FCS level low/mid-level DI  (scholarship/COA/Alston/tutors/meals/training staff/facilities exclusive to them).  Not sure we are exactly on the same page.  At the high-end P5 programs sure, at UND - excluding hockey not so sure.  And to compare athletes to normal students is ridiculous.  FYI, I have had both types (athlete and non-athlete) in my family.  It should not be compared.  And to the athletes that say they are being taken advantage of..  I say quit - nobody is forcing you.

• Downvote 3

3 hours ago, FSSD said:

So, you are comparing a normal student who end up with $26,000 x 4 or $104,000 in debt to athletes at the FCS level low/mid-level DI  (scholarship/COA/Alston/tutors/meals/training staff/facilities exclusive to them).  Not sure we are exactly on the same page.  At the high-end P5 programs sure, at UND - excluding hockey not so sure.  And to compare athletes to normal students is ridiculous.  FYI, I have had both types (athlete and non-athlete) in my family.  It should not be compared.  And to the athletes that say they are being taken advantage of..  I say quit - nobody is forcing you.

Or you could get with the times. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FSSD said:

Looks like I have some friends, anyway, I wanted to provide more clarity on my position.  If UND was 100% supported by itself.  I would say no problem go for it.  But, the athletic department is 50% supported by govt fees and public tax dollars.  Any dollars coming in should be made to support the department until it is 100% funded.  In my opinion you can't have it both ways. 

Source:  USA Today

110 North Dakota Summit $30,859,877 $30,837,768 $14,777,751 47.89%

UND has approximately 48% of its revenue defined as Total Allocated or (Student Fees $3 million and School Funds $11 million).  

Total Allocated: The sum of student fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money allocated to the athletics department, minus certain funds the department transferred back to the school. The transfer amount cannot exceed the sum of student fees and direct institutional support that the department receives from the school. (Under NCAA reporting rules, any additional money transferred to the school cannot be considered part of the department’s annual operating revenues or expenses.

1 hour ago, FSSD said:

Looks like I have some friends, anyway, I wanted to provide more clarity on my position.  If UND was 100% supported by itself.  I would say no problem go for it.  But, the athletic department is 50% supported by govt fees and public tax dollars.  Any dollars coming in should be made to support the department until it is 100% funded.  In my opinion you can't have it both ways. 

Source:  USA Today

110 North Dakota Summit $30,859,877 $30,837,768 $14,777,751 47.89%

UND has approximately 48% of its revenue defined as Total Allocated or (Student Fees $3 million and School Funds $11 million).  

Total Allocated: The sum of student fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money allocated to the athletics department, minus certain funds the department transferred back to the school. The transfer amount cannot exceed the sum of student fees and direct institutional support that the department receives from the school. (Under NCAA reporting rules, any additional money transferred to the school cannot be considered part of the department’s annual operating revenues or expenses.

I completely understand this stance and agree with a lot of it.
But its also fair to point out that UND has the 6th lowest subsidy in the FCS (excluding the Ivies). There is also only 3 AAC, 7 MWC and 1 Sun Belt schools that have less of a subsidy on a percentage basis, meaning UND is currently 17th or so in lowest subsidies in the FCS/G5 group. I'm all for improving that number but I'm also fine with there being some investment by students/state.

The bigger question is how much does the budget have to go up, what additional out dollars come with it and what do you gain if there is some sort of move. It wasn't a coincidence that Chaves pointed out everyone benefits if the 4 Dakota schools stay together. They are mostly in similar positions and at the G5 level, geography is still a very important piece of the puzzle. The Sun Belt went from a big mess to a pretty solid conference by strategically tightening their footprint. C-USA? Not so much. Is there a way to move 4-6 schools into one of those conferences and having a northern division? That would seem like the ideal type of move (which has been mentioned by many others).

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Is there a way to move 4-6 schools into one of those conferences and having a northern division? That would seem like the ideal type of move (which has been mentioned by many others).

Why'd my ears start ringing? 

To be hone

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I completely understand this stance and agree with a lot of it.
But its also fair to point out that UND has the 6th lowest subsidy in the FCS (excluding the Ivies). There is also only 3 AAC, 7 MWC and 1 Sun Belt schools that have less of a subsidy on a percentage basis, meaning UND is currently 17th or so in lowest subsidies in the FCS/G5 group. I'm all for improving that number but I'm also fine with there being some investment by students/state.

The bigger question is how much does the budget have to go up, what additional out dollars come with it and what do you gain if there is some sort of move. It wasn't a coincidence that Chaves pointed out everyone benefits if the 4 Dakota schools stay together. They are mostly in similar positions and at the G5 level, geography is still a very important piece of the puzzle. The Sun Belt went from a big mess to a pretty solid conference by strategically tightening their footprint. C-USA? Not so much. Is there a way to move 4-6 schools into one of those conferences and having a northern division? That would seem like the ideal type of move (which has been mentioned by many others).

Once the P-5 schools are done.  There needs to be a meeting of all the remaining/potential Western US states schools at the G-5 level.  Sort things out logically.  Reform 1 MW or 2 WAC conferences.  Get some re-alignment together to reduce travel costs and go from there.  The way things are looking there might not be much left of the MW conference in a couple of weeks.