SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Recruiting

Hambone

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Late bloomer? 

I think that was the case with Brayden Thomas. A kid out of Bismarck who played DE for the Bison in 21 after a good career with Mankato. But the Durfee kid tore up the NSIC as a redshirt freshman.  I would think he was showing some pretty good ability as a high school senior.  And he’s basically in everybody’s backyard. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

Any idea what Durfee’s story is?  Obviously flew under everybody’s radar. Was he hurt his senior year?  Play a bunch of sports so couldn’t get in team camps?  Anything else?

Here's the only relevant thing I found on his Twitter.  Judging by his posts, I wonder if he wasn't more interested in basketball and didn't really pursue college football until later.  No other offers posted on his Twitter.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-sioux-falls/2022/10/28/university-of-sioux-falls-football-usf-qb-turned-pass-rusher-zach-durfee-leads-high-powered-defense/69591565007/

Quarterback-turned-pass rusher Zach Durfee leads high-powered USF defense

Durfee was not on USF’s radar while playing at Dawson-Boyd High in Dawson, Minn. But he emailed the Cougar program, expressing his interest in playing football for them, and included a HUDL video of himself playing basketball. Ford and defensive line coach Luke Olson watched the basketball clips. And they loved what they saw......

He redshirted last year, and used it to put on 20 pounds in the weight room, while Olson taught him the basics in pass rush techniques. After another productive summer, coaches were excited to unleash their project this fall.

5 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Thought I read on twitter from one of the goons in Fargo that he had a brother on the bizun team. Can't find the tweet or see a Durfee on the roster. Maybe I'm thinking of a different guy that got offered?

You're thinking of Hunter Zenzen who entered the portal from Iowa State.

• Upvote 2

Circling back to two offers that are a few days old now:

• Wesley Elidor: USD receiver. UND offered him 5 days ago. His current offers, UT Martin, McNeese State, Illinois State, NAU, Austin Peay.
  • Blake Peterson: Iowa State D-Line: Other offers. USD, UNI, NDSU, Old Dominion, WKU, Kent State, Illinois State, UNC-Charlotte

These athletes get missed when recruiters focus more on listed height and weight, sometimes quality of hs competition (small school kids) rather than quickness, foot speed, overall athletic ability and projecting potential for those athletes. The best recruiters see the potential in these kids and get them on campus where the programs develop them as they physically mature. 
To me this is one of the keys to improving programs. Waletzko, Haeg, are two examples but there are many over the years. Also seeing the potential of hs kids who can play other positions in college. (ie can the 6’ 6” QB from DGF play free safety, TE, OLB or DE at this level? ). 

• Upvote 1