SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

And people think it is delusional that NDSU plays in the opponents Super Bowl every week…

FU fans are the only ones that tell themselves that.  No one else actually talks about or cares.  

I was equally as disappointed after SIU, Missouri St. and SDSU.  Games the team let slip away.  

2 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

And people think it is delusional that NDSU plays in the opponents Super Bowl every week…

No college team plays in the super bowl. What made the NDSU game different was that in states like NDak other than UND hockey it’s the big college event. Friends and families are in different camps and lots of banter, parties, bets. Players and coaches don’t look at it as any more than a game against a really good team. Same preparation etc. Media and some coaches use the “Super Bowl” hype but if you aren’t from NDak. it’s importance depends on how good the teams are and effect it has on standings/playoffs. Maybe for you folks whose lives are dependent on success or failure of an athletic team. Not for most. 

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

No college team plays in the super bowl. What made the NDSU game different was that in states like NDak other than UND hockey it’s the big college event. Friends and families are in different camps and lots of banter, parties, bets. Players and coaches don’t look at it as any more than a game against a really good team. Same preparation etc. Media and some coaches use the “Super Bowl” hype but if you aren’t from NDak. it’s importance depends on how good the teams are and effect it has on standings/playoffs. Maybe for you folks whose lives are dependent on success or failure of an athletic team. Not for most. 

LOL - just look at the attendance when SU plays away at any valley team.  You can deny it all you want but NDSU gets everyone's best shot.  You even had players say they were coming back after the spring because they wanted to beat the Bison.  

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

LOL - just look at the attendance when SU plays away at any valley team.  You can deny it all you want but NDSU gets everyone's best shot.  You even had players say they were coming back after the spring because they wanted to beat the Bison.  

Simple Dan on Thanksgiving nonetheless!  What a day

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

The going for it on 4th down on our own 20.....yes, that play will live in infamy....as it should, was horrible. 

Agree. 

It surpassed Richmond 16 (the reverse) as the worst single play call in UND history.

MoiSt 21 (the four touch fiasco) must be in the top five.

2 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

If that makes you feel better, good for you. I don’t pay any attention to what other teams do all year. Fans are more likely going to want to watch the best teams.  That isn’t their “super bowl”.  I don’t think NDSU got UND’s “best shot” the last two years. This used to be one of the better rivalries in college FB. I’m not sure there were a lot of NDSU guys wanting to play an extra year back when UND dominated the series just to beat UND. Maybe a few on both sides but from a player standpoint, it wasn’t the “Super Bowl”. It was a rivalry game, bigger when championships or playoffs on the line. 

Moving my post.

Missouri State is in 2nd year of regime(with 2 playoff appearances), USD is in 6th year of regime(2nd playoff appearance.)   Under your scenario I would agree with Shawn O, 2 year extension(mainly for recruiting), with a message that 7-4 and playoffs is minimum expectation.

Is UND a top 10 FCS program or not?  Is that your expectation?  It is definitely my expectation.  This is not performance to that expectation.

2014 North Dakota 5–7 3–5 T–8th  
2015 North Dakota 7–4 5–3 T–4th  
2016 North Dakota 9–3 8–0 T–1st L NCAA Division I Second Round
2017 North Dakota 3–8 2–6 T–9th  
North Dakota Fighting Hawks (NCAA Division I FCS independent) (2018–2019)
2018 North Dakota 6–5      
2019 North Dakota 7–5     L NCAA Division I First Round
North Dakota Fighting Hawks (Missouri Valley Football Conference) (2020–present)
2020 North Dakota 5–2 4–1 T–1st L NCAA Division I Quarterfinal
2021 North Dakota 5–6 3–5 T–7th

36 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

If you want UND to hire a Petrino type next to quickly turn it into, well, what we already have every other year, then go on record.  30+ transfers and he will leave after 3 years is what we will get.  Then what?

I want to be a top 10 FCS program year in and year out.  We are at best a top 30 FCS program after Bubbas 8th year, that’s not good enough for me.

Obviously you have different expectations for UND football.  What are they?  Where should the UND football program be at this point in Bubbas tenure?

• Like 1

We all want it better.  But using the MSU path as your example ain't it.  Maybe SDSU and how they have handled their coaches?  Oh wait, bad example. 

Maybe we play in the Big South and become "Top 10" like Kennesaw?  

We all want UND to become a top program.  Bubba is in his last two seasons,  we all know that.  So sit back and relax, you will get your white knight then. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

We all want it better.  But using the MSU path as your example ain't it.  Maybe SDSU and how they have handled their coaches?  Oh wait, bad example. 

Maybe we play in the Big South and become "Top 10" like Kennesaw?  

We all want UND to become a top program.  Bubba is in his last two seasons,  we all know that.  So sit back and relax, you will get your white knight then. 

The MSU example was about how a coach can come in and win right away and some coach can't win consistently after 8 years at the helm.  I love Bubba and much of what he has done, but if anyone is going to try and convince me he is a good "in game" coach....best of luck.

We all dwell on the games where those decisions were vital to the outcome, but don’t forget about the time management issues at the end of the first half vs WIU.  It was another disaster,  it just didn’t matter much.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The MSU example was about how a coach can come in and win right away and some coach can't win consistently after 8 years at the helm.  I love Bubba and much of what he has done, but if anyone is going to try and convince me he is a good "in game" coach....best of luck.

No one here will try to convince you that he is a good “in game” coach.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Its not the best but "making the playoffs two out of the last three years" doesn't scream new coach.

But there's plenty of work left to do.

Winning a playoff game. And being more consistent year to year.

Agreed - but I see absolutely no indication that Bubba has learned anything.  At this stage of his coaching career there is absolutely no excuse for managing games like a Junior High Math teacher who was talked into coaching 7th grade football.  

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Irish said:

Agreed - but I see absolutely no indication that Bubba has learned anything.  At this stage of his coaching career there is absolutely no excuse for managing games like a Junior High Math teacher who was talked into coaching 7th grade football.  

That is much of my issue.  With this “in-game” problem, UND has to be a chunk better than the top of the MVFC, and that just isn’t going to happen until we have won a national championship or two and even then, the top will usually be pretty even and decided by small details.

8 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I want to be a top 10 FCS program year in and year out.  We are at best a top 30 FCS program after Bubbas 8th year, that’s not good enough for me.

Obviously you have different expectations for UND football.  What are they?  Where should the UND football program be at this point in Bubbas tenure?

My goodness man, we get it, you think UND should be better.  I don't think anyone disagrees with that.  

Just because you have high expectations doesn't mean things automatically happen.  Does the rest of the MVFC not have high expectations?  Why isn't every team in the top 10 consistently?  It's not like Grand Forks has a ton more to offer than most places.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

45 minutes ago, Devils said:

My goodness man, we get it, you think UND should be better.  I don't think anyone disagrees with that.  

Just because you have high expectations doesn't mean things automatically happen.  Does the rest of the MVFC not have high expectations?  Why isn't every team in the top 10 consistently?  It's not like Grand Forks has a ton more to offer than most places.  

Maybe a quality education and a community with sound values? I have said it before, if all 4 of our children had graduated from UND, I would be one happy Mama. Yes we need that Phase 2… could someone just print the money? It seems that is what is happening. There must be some relationship to COVID so we could get some funds.

On 11/25/2021 at 9:42 AM, homer said:

FU fans are the only ones that tell themselves that.  No one else actually talks about or cares.  

I was equally as disappointed after SIU, Missouri St. and SDSU.  Games the team let slip away.  

I find this attitude very interesting. Before the rivalry was resumed the constant theme here about the game was how important the game was for ND. WE were rivals. It was the game everyone waited for. ETC ETC ETC. Now that the game is being played again and ND has been getting their butts pounded the game isnt a big deal. :silly:

22 minutes ago, bison73 said:

I find this attitude very interesting. Before the rivalry was resumed the constant theme here about the game was how important the game was for ND. WE were rivals. It was the game everyone waited for. ETC ETC ETC. Now that the game is being played again and ND has been getting their butts pounded the game isnt a big deal. :silly:

Read again what he was responding to. Its not that.  

38 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Where did I say that?  Game is a big deal.  From what I saw this Oct the players and coaches on your sideline would agree.  

Maybe Missouri Sate is not an apples to apples comparison, since Petrino has turned them around with so many transfers.

On the other hand, Montana State was an almost-there team in the Big Sky and Vigen has made the difference that put them on top of the BSC -in his first year. It feels like UND is where Montana State was: on the cusp, looking for the right fit to get them to the next level.