SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

6 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

If Tommy connects with Richter, as he should've, would "everyone have been on the same page"?  

Would Richter have come out of the cut harder after a TO? 
Would Tommy have not thrown to a guy with four bunnies around him but instead checked to Otis in the flat after a TO?

All are things we'll never know. 

Something I'm 99.9% sure of but admit I don't know:

Even a win in that game would not get a 6-5 UND  in over 6-5 UNI. They had more wins over ranked teams. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It is obvious from what transpired on that play that Richter was not expecting the ball

Can't tell if serious or not.
Do you think he just assumed he (the guy running a 15-17 yard route on 2nd and 17nd) was just a decoy? 
According to you, QB1 can't get past his first read and I can guarantee that the WR's know the progression of a play, so not sure how that correlates.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Can't tell if serious or not.
Do you think he just assumed he (the guy running a 15-17 yard route on 2nd and 17nd) was just a decoy? 
According to you, QB1 can't get past his first read and I can guarantee that the WR's know the progression of a play, so not sure how that correlates.

Watch the replay, richter slows down out of his break.  

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

If Tommy connects with Richter, as he should've, would "everyone have been on the same page"?  

The facts show Tommy didn’t connect with Richter, he connected with an SDSU db and we lost.  We were playing Russian roulette and UND pulled the trigger with a loaded chamber….again.

12 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The facts show Timmy didn’t connect with Richter, he connected with an SDSU db and we lost.  We were playing Russian roulette and UND pulled the trigger with a loaded chamber….again.

Should have played for the field goal and overtime?

10 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I stand by my ascertation that somebody in hockey hurt you and you just cant get over it... I hope you can get the help you need.

Blaming the state of football once again and forever on your seething  jealous hatred hasn't really worked,  and never will btw....

Football is what 8 -10 of the nicest days of the year, in a warehouse, to watch a team that at best hopes to compete in an overlooked tier2 division... it can be fun, but the University has made it almost impossible to succeed long term by trying to keep up with the Joneses...

Could have been a perennial, and more importantly relevant D2 powerhouse..... but no... had to have the field inside.... had to be in the big boy club, had to have the D1 (nevermind the asterik) beside the "name".

And for this UND forever sacrificed every sport down the ladder as completly irrelevant and unable to compete in any real way. 

I hope one day UND football is relevant again, I do, but to argue that  other programs need to have their success interrupted in order for football to have a chance is just petty and sad, it's a loser mentality. 

Thats the last thing football needs any more of. 

Winners back Winners son. It's a simple as that. 

Good luck with your demons. 

And here we have exhibit #1 of a “longtime conservative folk around UND”

You are a part of the problem, not the solution. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gfhockey said:

What was our 4th conversion rate?

also any link to final stats? I want to see Quincy rushing stats

6 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

52% on 4th down

14 Vaughn, Quincy 11 38 141 7 134 3.5 1 18 12.18

https://fightinghawks.com/sports/football/stats/2021

I think the NCAA website might have some additional stats that aren't included on the UND website, pretty sure it does for team stats as well.  100% sure the format is easier to navigate.  This is the go to when looking at team stats as well, imo.  Can find a ton of different rankings for random stats for individual players and teams through their extended stats page.  @Midwestern Hawkyou answered his questions, but just wanted to throw this out there because it's an awesome resource that I'm sure a lot of people aren't aware of.

http://stats.ncaa.org/player/index?game_sport_year_ctl_id=15821&org_id=494&stats_player_seq=2494474

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Correct.
Tommy had been sacked two of the last four plays (sack, to Maag, to Richter, sack) before the pick. 

The TO would've been to get everyone a deep breath and a "here's how were going to win this" huddle with the coaches. 

Does it change your calculus if the DE, who actually sacked Tommy twice in the last to plays, ran off the field?  Because that's what happened.  Our LT was clearly overmached.  With time winding down, perhaps the coaches were planning to run a hurry up offense, which would have kept that DE (who had been killing our freshman LT) off the field for a few plays.  I know hindsight is 20-20, but I think the coaches made a good call, because the situation I described seems like it would have had a hell of a bigger impact on the game than giving the LT a pep talk.  The next play was an interception, yes, but Tommy actually had time to throw the ball to a receiver who WAS open.  Yeah there were guys around him, but he was open enough that the catch would have been uncontested - the DB who intercepted the ball was behind Jake, similar to how Krzanowski was behind SDSU's tight end for their second or third td.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Does it change your calculus if the DE, who actually sacked Tommy twice in the last to plays, ran off the field?  Because that's what happened.  Our LT was clearly overmached.  With time winding down, perhaps the coaches were planning to run a hurry up offense, which would have kept that DE (who had been killing our freshman LT) off the field for a few plays.  I know hindsight is 20-20, but I think the coaches made a good call, because the situation I described seems like it would have had a hell of a bigger impact on the game than giving the LT a pep talk.  The next play was an interception, yes, but Tommy actually had time to throw the ball to a receiver who WAS open.  Yeah there were guys around him, but he was open enough that the catch would have been uncontested - the DB who intercepted the ball was behind Jake, similar to how Krzanowski was behind SDSU's tight end for their second or third td.

Is this something you noticed in real time or after reviewing?

26 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Is this something you noticed in real time or after reviewing?

I wouldn't have noticed it at all except for the fact that I remembered the commentators pointing it out, in real time, as he was jogging off the field. Given the discussion in this thread, I went back to double check. Are you asking because that was incorrect?My apologies if I'm mistaken.

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Thanks for pointing this out about their d lineman. Wow, lots of moving parts. I don’t think the interception can be blamed on not calling a time out. Time management wasn’t good.

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Most definitely.  The momentum would have been crazy after a win in Grand Forks.  Everything would have been different, especially from a confident perspective.

From 5-6 to 10-1, not winning a single conference road game!!!  

that seems like an awful big swing on one fourth down mistake that only cost the team three points, but I digress, it’s your scenario.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

that seems like an awful big swing on one fourth down mistake that only cost the team three points, but I digress, it’s your scenario.

We all appreciate you swinging by

Many of you are giving NDSU way to much credit for affecting the destiny of this team.   A Hawk win, while great wouldn't have guaranteed anything else the following week except feeling good.   And the loss didn't mean the team would tank the rest of the season.   It was one game out of a season.   I refuse to think that them winning set the tone for future games.   To repeat, it was one game.

Now Bubba affecting the team, that's a different story.

2 hours ago, Texas rancher said:

Yeah, I would say a win over NDSU would be worth at least a TD a game in momentum, maybe more.  I would also say the loss and more importantly the way we lost, created some negative momentum. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Yeah, I would say a win over NDSU would be worth at least a TD a game in momentum, maybe more.

And done wonders for fan support and attendance - we have been so close to building enthusiasm for Football and seem to shoot ourselves in the foot every time.  

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Would Richter have come out of the cut harder after a TO? I highly doubt it.  I highly doubt he let up a bit because he was tired and needed some rest.  I highly doubt it during the timeout they would have said "hey Jake make sure you run full speed all the way through".   And as the other poster mentioned, that was probably the #1 read on that route since it was close to the distance needed for a first down. I don't buy Richter 'wasn't looking' for it.  However if anything I think Jake maybe slowed up a bit and was going to kind of 'sit' in that open window due to the defenders and Tommy read it as he should run full speed after the break. He was open either way if he sat or continued, they just weren't on the same page. I can't say for sure but I don't think taking a timeout would have mattered there as far as how Jake read it and Tommy read it in that instant as the play developed.  
Would Tommy have not thrown to a guy with four bunnies around him but instead checked to Otis in the flat after a TO?  While there were Bunnies around, if you watch the replay on Midco there was more than enough room there to make that throw, and Tommy made the right read there as Richter was open and it would have been 3rd and 1 if Richter doesn't slow up just a bit.  He catches the ball and then we can take a timeout and take our time an call the right play for 3rd and 1. 

All are things we'll never know. 

Something I'm 99.9% sure of but admit I don't know:

Even a win in that game would not get a 6-5 UND  in over 6-5 UNI. They had more wins over ranked teams. 

Just because some of you think they should have taken a time out, it is not an obvious coaching blunder IMO.  The going for it on 4th down on our own 20.....yes, that play will live in infamy....as it should, was horrible. 

And you are right, we wouldn't have gotten in over UNI anyway.  Still woulda liked to have gotten that win though.

• Upvote 2