SiouxSports.com Forum

Missouri State vs UND 4/24/21 1st Round Playoff Game

SiouxFan100

19 hours ago, coltssiouxfan said:

It’ll be interesting to see how Feeney fits into this whole picture. From my understanding he’s the next big thing to come to UND.  Maybe HE does a redshirt year to declutter the QBs a bit? Or does Quincy move to a tight end or WR? Takes Boltmans place after he graduates.   

With the current state of affairs in the NCAA, I would bet Quincy transfers this year.

10 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

If bo doesn't recover quickly enough to be full strength in the fall, can he redshirt and stiy get 4more years to play?  Just wondering how things work with this year that doesn't count.

Medical redshirts always seem like a messy business, but I believe if you have an injury from one season that prevents you from playing at all the following season you are eligible. That being said, we have seen those rulings have not always worked out in our favor in the past. 

8 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

With the current state of affairs in the NCAA, I would bet Quincy transfers this year.

I sure hope not. The guy could be a dynamic player for us, but he needs to get a shot. Just look around the league at how many backups have gotten opportunities to play this spring. You always 1 bad hit away from needing another guy. The benefit for us here is that our O-Line has been the best its been in a long long time, and we haven't really had to worry as much about that.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I sure hope not. The guy could be a dynamic player for us, but he needs to get a shot. Just look around the league at how many backups have gotten opportunities to play this spring. You always 1 bad hit away from needing another guy. The benefit for us here is that our O-Line has been the best its been in a long long time, and we haven't really had to worry as much about that.

I think he has been under utilized this year. Should be getting 6-10 meaningful snaps a game in my opinion. Quincy + Otis + RPO=pick your poison on D. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I think he has been under utilized this year. Should be getting 6-10 meaningful snaps a game in my opinion. Quincy + Otis + RPO=pick your poison on D. 

Exactly.  A dual threat QB and otis and 15 completed pass a game and our offense is a natty offense.  The 'million ways to throw a screen" offense works until the D sells out(last 3 qtrs MSU) or feels they have good enough athletes to run with our receivers(NDSU).  No defense is good enough to be on the field for 35-40 minutes a game.

8 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Let's see what happens this week at JMU. I have a feeling he will be used a lot more. Just a hunch I have.

4 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Let's see what happens this week at JMU. I have a feeling he will be used a lot more. Just a hunch I have.

I feel Danny has an opportunity to throw in a couple wrinkles that haven't really been seen on tape yet:

Schuster tucking and running if his receivers are covered (He's very effective at throwing it away to play for the next down, but that strategy doesn't keep the offense on the field when it's 3rd or 4th down);

Quincy throwing (every defense would sell out on the run if they saw him in, right?); or

Quincy running the offense in general (virtually no tape on this).  Who knows, with such little game experience, this might be the biggest gamble of them all, but when you're trying to win a playoff game against a quality opponent in their stadium, it's the gambles that pay off (or don't) that win (or lose) games.

39 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

From the little bit we have seen him in games and a few practice reports I have heard, Quincy IS a dynamic player, will it be for us or someone else?  I would have put him in the game Saturday for the entire 4th qtr.

31 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

From the little bit we have seen him in games and a few practice reports I have heard, Quincy IS a dynamic player, will it be for us or someone else?  I would have put him in the game Saturday for the entire 4th qtr.

He was warming up towards the end of the 3rd quarter and Petrino had quit trying to win the game after their second possession of the 2nd half.

I was hoping we would see him for the entire 4th quarter and was very surprised he didn't take over on the 2nd series either. 

• Upvote 2

Well and to piggy back off of that, I would have liked to see Quincy in there simply for the fact that Tommy is valuable to this team. Comparing him to our QBs in the past, he isn't going to lose us the game with poor decisions and getting greedy him his arm. He knows what he is capable of and knows what each play demands of him. That being said, he might not be a four year starter, but he's pretty damn good for a freshman.

Compare the overall skill set of the last two QBs to start a playoff game for UND. UND is in a much better place.

If Quincy was the next Kyler Murray he'd be playing. He isn't so he's not. Give it a rest.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I was thinking that on Saturday when Quincy should have been getting reps. The game was in hand. Missery st had given in. He could have had an entire quarter. Kids don’t forget that stuff.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

100% Agree. The game was in hand and he should have been in the game with a full playbook.

21 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Danny will utilize Tommy and Quincy in the best way he knows how to win the game.  It's just silly to gush over the back-up QB as the key to win the next game.  The game will fall on Tommy's shoulders.  If Quincy gets in I hope he does well just the same as any other player for UND.

Right. To clarify my standpoint, I'm not saying Quincy is your key to winning the game. Tommy got us here and is the guy. No controversy there. BUT when you are dominating a game in the 4th quarters, you need to get your depth guys game time experience. 

21 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

It's a form of the "grass is always greener" syndrome.  I get it but let's keep things in perspective. The MSU game was well in hand by halftime. Bubba being Bubba chose to run the clock, and with an increasing number of back-ups and youth seeing their first action ever (Lotyz... wish him the best). We were not trying to add to the boat race in the second half. Win, advance and move on. Period. I assume that is what is behind the relatively close JMU-VMI final score. VMI closed the gap in garbage time.

All that said, I too wanted Quincy in a little sooner. He could use some reps, and he brings a fun dynamic!

Agree, when nitpicking Touchdown passes not being in stride, it could be a lot worse.  How many touchdowns in the NFL are completely in stride?  If Tommy threw it long the response would have been, "All you had to do is throw it up and make sure he had a chance at catching it". 

• Upvote 1

Missouri state being dominated by our defense and us hitting a double move and gadget play early is hiding some offensive problems IMO.  After we went up 24-3 Saturday(early 2nd qtr) we had 80 yards of offense(and little TOP) 'til the last drive.  The last 2.8 qtrs of the game were @NDSU 2.0.