SiouxSports.com Forum

Missouri State vs UND 4/24/21 1st Round Playoff Game

SiouxFan100

14 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Look at the drive chart.  After 1st qtr it’s pathetic.  It’s why the offense other than Otis long run struggled in Fargo.

If a defense is skilled enough to go man to man and our defense can’t control the game we will be in trouble.

Don’t  get me wrong, Tommy is a winner and a great game manager.  This edition of the Hawks is close to a natty. Multi dimensional  QB could be the difference.

Tommy is a winner. 

Not saying this is Quincy, but a QB with bad decision-making, bad pocket presence, and poor accuracy (all things Tommy does well) could be the difference in a lot of the games we've already played this year too. Tommy's small movements and presence in the pocket are very good and not talked about enough, IMO.

We got crushed in Fargo because the entire team, led by the coaches, crapped their pants as soon as they stepped foot in the Fargo dome. 

10 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Tommy is a winner. 

Not saying this is Quincy, but a QB with bad decision-making, bad pocket presence, and poor accuracy (all things Tommy does well) could be the difference in a lot of the games we've already played this year too. Tommy's small movements and presence in the pocket are very good and not talked about enough, IMO.

We got crushed in Fargo because the entire team, led by the coaches, crapped their pants as soon as they stepped foot in the Fargo dome. 

Watch yesterday’s game again, there is no “pocket presence”.  Almost every throw goes to the main target or he throws it away.  Danny structures the motion etc so very little of UND passing offense is a true “5 step drop pocket“.

90% of Tommy completions are not ling throws nor “tough” throws.  Neither of the early long throws were great throws.  He really struggles going deep.  

I agree with NDSU game early, but UND was finding itself and then the biggest play in game was Zeb a throw to Watson before half . Tommy does not have arm strength nor confidence to even attempt that throw.

my main point is I would think any D1 qb could make 90% of Tommy completions this season.  IMO Quincy and Otis with read option would make UND the favorite today.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I think you may be downgrading Tommy’s skill sets (physical and mental) a tad, and upgrading Quincy’s a hair, at this stage. It’s a common tendency. We’ll most likely see it next fall when Tommy/Quincy are not slicing and dicing Opp defenses and Trey is riding the pine still learning the playbook. It’s easy to wish for the unknown commodity versus the product on the field, which is giving actual criticizable performances (good and bad) with every snap. 

No doubt about it.  My analysis does assume Quincy can make 15 yard throws.  I know he is a major threat to run, which was evidenced by the play calling yesterday and all season when Quincy is QB.  

UND is close, really close.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Did he tweet something out?

He did earlier in the year, before the first scheduled game, which was cancelled. Bear’s beat writer Wyatt Wheeler retweeted it with comment this past week. Struck has since deleted said tweet. 

4 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

No doubt about it.  My analysis does assume Quincy can make 15 yard throws.  I know he is a major threat to run, which was evidenced by the play calling yesterday and all season when Quincy is QB.  

UND is close, really close.

No doubt! Exciting times!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

And when James Madison comes out with 10 guys within 5 yards of LOS(like NDSU) and our defense can't manhandle the other team, what do we do then?  Lose 34-13?

Once MSU adjusted the offense was almost non-existent for the last 3 qtrs.  

I would guess the playbook got a lot smaller once we were up by more than 3 scores. 

• Upvote 2

Tommy seemed to hit Maag for 50 and Belquist on a flea flicker for 48. He also made a great decision to not force a ball the play before the 17-3 lead.

He made two long throws and something more important, knowing when to not throw and live to run another play. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Watch yesterday’s game again, there is no “pocket presence”.  Almost every throw goes to the main target or he throws it away.  Danny structures the motion etc so very little of UND passing offense is a true “5 step drop pocket“.

90% of Tommy completions are not ling throws nor “tough” throws.  Neither of the early long throws were great throws.  He really struggles going deep.  

I agree with NDSU game early, but UND was finding itself and then the biggest play in game was Zeb a throw to Watson before half . Tommy does not have arm strength nor confidence to even attempt that throw.

my main point is I would think any D1 qb could make 90% of Tommy completions this season.  IMO Quincy and Otis with read option would make UND the favorite today.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the two deep balls early.  #2 was just a hair underthrown but you sure as heck don't want to overthrow a guy that wide open.  Not saying the guy is flawless but he won't be the reason we lose a game.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Tommy’s best play was on that throw back where Skokna dusted one back to him and he calmly collected it, looked up, and fired it back to Skokna for a nice little gain instead of forcing it downfield like a lot of fr would. He was alarmingly calm during that whole sequence.

Yes, to come out of that play 2nd & 6 was pretty miraculous. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

If Tommy’s brother has the same mentality as Tommy, we need to be recruiting him hard. 

Hopefully Tommy is a good recruiter!  His brother has a couple inches on Tommy if I remember correctly. 

51 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Tommy seemed to hit Maag for 50 and Belquist on a flea flicker for 48. He also made a great decision to not force a ball the play before the 17-3 lead.

He made two long throws and something more important, knowing when to not throw and live to run another play. 

Seldom in our FCS era have I felt we had the best QB of the two teams on the field. This spring I have felt that several times. Accuracy and field presence are his strengths. 

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Neither of those throws were great throws, both receivers were  open by 10 yards.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Tommy is a winner. 

Nobody crapped their pants. We got beat on the line of scrimmage. NDSU has a very good defensive front 7 and a very good offensive line. I can’t explain the let down but at this level the coaches don’t fear their opponents and don’t get intimidated. Players don’t tend to be afraid. We didn’t play well. NDSU arguably played their best game prior to yesterday.  They are capable of beating anyone they played. They don’t matter right now. We play James Madison.