SiouxSports.com Forum

Missouri State vs UND 4/24/21 1st Round Playoff Game

SiouxFan100

13 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Missouri state being dominated by our defense and us hitting a double move and gadget play early is hiding some offensive problems IMO.  After we went up 24-3 Saturday(early 2nd qtr) we had 80 yards of offense(and little TOP) 'til the last drive.  The last 2.8 qtrs of the game were @NDSU 2.0.  

We all know we lack speed at wr. We get separation by being creative, that’s not sustainable.

• Upvote 1

I also had Richmond visions until it was under 10 Minutes in the 4th Quarter. I do not fault Bubba for putting in Quincy when he did. We hadn't played in 35 days so I was not going to complain about starters getting a few more reps than they normally would have. A

I do think we will see more of Quincy in this week. We'll have to wait and see on this but that is the hunch I have. 

51 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Danny will utilize Tommy and Quincy in the best way he knows how to win the game.  It's just silly to gush over the back-up QB as the key to win the next game.  The game will fall on Tommy's shoulders.  If Quincy gets in I hope he does well just the same as any other player for UND.

I personally don’t have any affinity for seeing the backup QB. Tommy has done nearly everything asked of him.  He’s young and still learning, too, so the getting more reps is still beneficial.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, UNDColorado said:

I also had Richmond visions until it was under 10 Minutes in the 4th Quarter. I do not fault Bubba for putting in Quincy when he did. We hadn't played in 35 days so I was not going to complain about starters getting a few more reps than they normally would have. A

I do think we will see more of Quincy in this week. We'll have to wait and see on this but that is the hunch I have. 

I think Bubba wanted to see the offense get in some rhythm before he pulled them. He knows they haven’t played in 4 weeks and that we need them clicking going deep into the playoff. 

39 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I was thinking that on Saturday when Quincy should have been getting reps. The game was in hand. Missery st had given in. He could have had an entire quarter. Kids don’t forget that stuff.

Plus, one of his best friends just left the program.

Take a moment to think about that THIS is what we are arguing about on a Sunday and Monday following a game.  We just crushed a team in the playoffs with scores from our offense, defense, and special teams.  It really doesn't get much better than this.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I was thinking that on Saturday when Quincy should have been getting reps. The game was in hand. Missery st had given in. He could have had an entire quarter. Kids don’t forget that stuff.

Quincy can get better in practice too. It doesn’t take live reps to show what you can do. Quincy is a true freshman that at most schools wouldn’t see the field at all their first year on the team. Luckily for him we didn’t have a deep QB lineup.

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If we had to lose him, a broken leg is a faster recovery than tendon or ligament damage. 

Get well Mr. Belquist. 

Broken leg may be a side effect of the more serious ligament tear. Let’s hope it is just a broken leg but when I got my high ankle sprain I broke my bone but that was nothing compared to the ligament tear. Surgery isn’t alway needed for just a broken bone.

I had to be on crutches for 3 months before I could walk on it with a boot then rehab. 

14 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Broken leg may be a side effect of the more serious ligament tear. Let’s hope it is just a broken leg but when I got my high ankle sprain I broke my bone but that was nothing compared to the ligament tear. Surgery isn’t alway needed for just a broken bone.

I had to be on crutches for 3 months before I could walk on it with a boot then rehab. 

They already did surgery

23 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

At the 9:21 mark of the 3rd quarter is where we blocked the punt and ran it in for a TD to go up 31-3.  What did you expect Freund to call after that?  It was going to safe plays that wasn't going to result in any turnovers or loss of yardage.  Could they have run the ball better and moved the chains more often in the second half?  Sure.  But,  after the blocked punt for a TD, I am not sure Weah even played another down.  He is a huge part of this offense.  Not having him in there shows.  And I am glad he wasn't.  No need to risk injury.  the game was over after that score.  No need to put plays on film for JMU.  Not like Missouri St was doing anything on offense.  Even after the QB change.  All Freund and Bubba wanted to do was run out the clock and get through the game with no injuries.  (Almost did that). 

The game was over at 9:21 of the 3rd.  There is a difference between an offense that is trying to put points on the board and an offense that is just running out the clock. they way our defense was playing, there was almost zero chance they were coming back in the game.

So at 8:27 of the 2nd qtr we stopped trying to put points on the board?  I know I'm on an island here, but after we went up 24-3 (35 yard drive) our offense was:

4 plays 31 yards, 1 first down - punt  

3 plays 6 yards, 0 first downs - punt

3 plays 0 yards, 0 first downs - punt

4 plays 37 yards, 0 first downs - fumble

7 plays 26 yards, 2 first downs - punt

3 plays 6 yards, 0 first downs - punt

1 hour ago, Devils said:

Crazy world it's become with the transfer portal - the best thing we can talk about after a historic win is getting more reps to keep the backup QB happy. 

To be fair, its not like this conversation just started. It has been going on since game one, and there have been multiple opportunities.

I just don't want to see our season fall apart, whether it be this spring or in the fall, because we have an injury to our QB and we have backups with no experience.

Not advocating for Quincy to take over the starting job, Tommy is doing everything he needs to. BUT do you want to see a backup freshman QB go into this game, or the next game, or even the national championship without any experience, if needed? Maybe he would be just fine, I think I would just feel better if he had some more reps running the offense. At least get him comfortable and knock some nerves out.

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

So at 8:27 of the 2nd qtr we stopped trying to put points on the board?  I know I'm on an island here, but after we went up 24-3 (35 yard drive) our offense was:

4 plays 31 yards, 1 first down - punt  

3 plays 6 yards, 0 first downs - punt

3 plays 0 yards, 0 first downs - punt

4 plays 37 yards, 0 first downs - fumble

7 plays 26 yards, 2 first downs - punt

This is a much better point than the one you were arguing on the two long TD passes. This is why I think we have a very slim, at best, chance of beating JMU

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

At the 9:21 mark of the 3rd quarter is where we blocked the punt and ran it in for a TD to go up 31-3.  What did you expect Freund to call after that?  It was going to safe plays that wasn't going to result in any turnovers or loss of yardage.  Could they have run the ball better and moved the chains more often in the second half?  Sure.  But,  after the blocked punt for a TD, I am not sure Weah even played another down.  He is a huge part of this offense.  Not having him in there shows.  And I am glad he wasn't.  No need to risk injury.  the game was over after that score.  No need to put plays on film for JMU.  Not like Missouri St was doing anything on offense.  Even after the QB change.  All Freund and Bubba wanted to do was run out the clock and get through the game with no injuries.  (Almost did that). 

The game was over at 9:21 of the 3rd.  There is a difference between an offense that is trying to put points on the board and an offense that is just running out the clock. they way our defense was playing, there was almost zero chance they were coming back in the game.

It was definitely nice to see that they didn't risk Weah getting injured.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is a much better point than the one you were arguing on the two long TD passes. This is why I think we have a very slim, at best, chance of beating JMU

The drive chart was much the same vs NDSU.  Tommy won't run the ball for whatever reason and we only throw the ball downfield on double moves and gadget plays.  Good teams play tight coverage to take away the screen-o-rama and stack the box to stop Otis.   

This team is so close, I just don't see how we take the next step with this offense.