SiouxSports.com Forum

Missouri State vs UND 4/24/21 1st Round Playoff Game

SiouxFan100

4 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

JFC is anything good enough for you?

so you just forget about the previous 7 years or so....JFC some people love mediocrity...still don't have a kicker that i have faith in, kickoffs not thru or to the endzone, muffed punts or punts fair caught inside the 10, missed xtra points.....

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so you just forget about the previous 7 years or so....JFC some people love mediocrity...still don't have a kicker that i have faith in, kickoffs not thru or to the endzone, muffed punts or punts fair caught inside the 10, missed xtra points.....

Yes, I would like a better kicker. In college special teams coaches don't have much control of a kicker. They go to camps in the summer to get better, otherwise you get what you get. This is not on him.

There were a couple bad years but the quality of players has clearly gotten better. He has some solid schemes in place and they are working and I am happy for that. You can sit around and whine and complain all you want but I am happy with what he has done.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Yes, I would like a better kicker. In college special teams coaches don't have much control of a kicker. They go to camps in the summer to get better, otherwise you get what you get. This is not on him.

There were a couple bad years but the quality of players has clearly gotten better. He has some solid schemes in place and they are working and I am happy for that. You can sit around and whine and complain all you want but I am happy with what he has done.

???

If we get blown out by JMU bc they stack the box bc they aint afraid of our WR's who fault is that?  I would say Danny...he has brought some "nice" WR's here but only one "scary" WR (clives) in how many years?  

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I het the points that you and Midwestern Hawk are making.  Yes, our offense was very "vanilla" and didn't do much.  I agree it would have been nice to just have sustained drives that mile more time off the clock or end in points.  But I am not rag on this team for coming out strong, building a substantial lead, then adding to it via defense and special teams.

We are only 2 point dogs at JMU.  So the oddsmakers would disagree with your chances of us beating them :D

Need to be able to grind out boring ass drives running vanilla stuff though. That’s what championship teams can do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Couldn't figure out how to quote from multiple pages, so this is my best.

Midwestern Hawk: "Tommy won't run the ball for whatever reason and we only throw the ball downfield on double moves and gadget plays.  Good teams play tight coverage to take away the screen-o-rama and stack the box to stop Otis."

Geaux_sioux: "We lack legit speed to take the top off at wr and it hurts our offense. All of our wrs are either quick or big but non of them can burn."

Thinking out loud here, but is there a way to get Skokna involved in the passing game that aren't screen passes?  He seems be have been neutralized from scrimmage compared to Gee and especially Weah.

An NDSU misdirection back door wheel rout could suit him nicely.

20 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

???

If we get blown out by JMU bc they stack the box bc they aint afraid of our WR's who fault is that?  I would say Danny...he has brought some "nice" WR's here but only one "scary" WR (clives) in how many years?  

I may be mistaken but a few years back wasn't Bubba known for "3 yards & a cloud of dust"?  i would think the head coach known for that mantra would be a bit of friction on wide receiver recruiting...

Just now, 90siouxfan said:

I may be mistaken but a few years back wasn't Bubba known for "3 yards & a cloud of dust"?  i would think the head coach known for that mantra would be a bit of friction on wide receiver recruiting...

yeah but a few good WR's from Georgia Tech have played in the pros in the last decade...

All I am saying is that schuster would consider running when flushed out of the pocket. Get some yards and slide. Specifically on third down when he could easily get to the first down before sliding. A designed run every now and then could keep the defense honest. Be smart and get down.

20 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

All I am saying is that schuster would consider running when flushed out of the pocket. Get some yards and slide. Specifically on third down when he could easily get to the first down before sliding. A designed run every now and then could keep the defense honest. Be smart and get down.

I think this would be the simplest, safest, most effective next step from our young QB.  Let’s go get the Dukes!

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Just for clarification.  Touchdown Tommy has been sacked one time for 1 yard.  Started 6 games and win all but one game.  Came in as a true freshman and beat a ranked team.  I am guessing but I Believe he is the smartest QB we have every had.  Let's just stop the BS.  Can you name one QB with his competition % sacks and lost yardage.  Just think back the last few in DI.  Thank God we have Tommy.  Just chill and enjoy.

Since I was told it's not pocket presence, I'll call it "rush awareness" this time. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Norhsidepride said:

The ringing chorus for the past few years has been: " We have to win a playoff game"   They did  44 to 10 .....and it wasn't that close,  instead of 30 posts about how great that is.. there are 23 out 30 picking it apart.   They may very well lose to JMU but they beat the living crap out of Missouri St.    Rolling right and throwing it into the ground on 3rd down up 21 points is ok.  NO chance for Tommy to get hurt, NO chance of a turnover that could change momentum and repeat the 2016 game. 

Now lets beat JMU and get Bubba to .500 in the playoffs.

Couple things I noticed from watching highlights.

QB- Tommy had a great game. No turnovers and no sacks with a couple touchdowns. What else can you ask for from the young man.

RB- We saw more Gee then Skokna? Is he a little banged up? Seems like Danny has a lot of love for Gee but skokna has had the better year. Mitchell is going to have a bright future here if he stays healthy. From the few plays I saw his acceleration and speed are going to be dangerous. Happy he is here!

WR- Nice to see Maag get a touchdown pass early. Wish Richter could have came down with that ball when he fumbled. Too bad for Bo with the injury. He will be missed but also will be back and have a great career at UND.

OL- Best OL UND has ever seen. 1 sack so far this year and it was 1 yard away from even being a sack. Didn't even seem like UND was missing one of their best linemen on saturday.

Defense was almost perfect on Saturday with 8 sacks, 1 INT and 185 yards of total offense. Seems they only time MSU was doing good was picking the zone apart at times. Basically when the QB wasn't getting pressured. 

Special Teams- Another great game for the special teams. Havn't been a fan of Kostitch for years but he sure has turned that group around. Still would like better kicking and punting.

JMU is going to be a totally different opponent. Bubba and the staff need to come up with a near perfect game plan for this team. Stop their run game and get ours going and I think UND can win this game!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Couple things I noticed from watching highlights.

QB- Tommy had a great game. No turnovers and no sacks with a couple touchdowns. What else can you ask for from the young man.

RB- We saw more Gee then Skokna? Is he a little banged up? Seems like Danny has a lot of love for Gee but skokna has had the better year. Mitchell is going to have a bright future here if he stays healthy. From the few plays I saw his acceleration and speed are going to be dangerous. Happy he is here!

WR- Nice to see Maag get a touchdown pass early. Wish Richter could have came down with that ball when he fumbled. Too bad for Bo with the injury. He will be missed but also will be back and have a great career at UND.

OL- Best OL UND has ever seen. 1 sack so far this year and it was 1 yard away from even being a sack. Didn't even seem like UND was missing one of their best linemen on saturday.

Defense was almost perfect on Saturday with 8 sacks, 1 INT and 185 yards of total offense. Seems they only time MSU was doing good was picking the zone apart at times. Basically when the QB wasn't getting pressured. 

Special Teams- Another great game for the special teams. Havn't been a fan of Kostitch for years but he sure has turned that group around. Still would like better kicking and punting.

JMU is going to be a totally different opponent. Bubba and the staff need to come up with a near perfect game plan for this team. Stop their run game and get ours going and I think UND can win this game!

Skokna, like Weah basically didn't play the 2nd half. No need with the game already in hand, I wouldn't dig too deep into that. 

For those that know, how did Kilty look?

Generally speaking kind of a hard game for evaluation, especially on the Offensive side. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Skokna, like Weah basically didn't play the 2nd half. No need with the game already in hand, I wouldn't dig too deep into that. 

Generally speaking kind of a hard game for evaluation, especially on the Offensive side. 

I don’t know anything about OL so I’ll give my opinion. I watched him on a few of our first plays and he seemed quick and was able to lock onto a guy and move his feet well enough to keep really good leverage. Didn’t see him leaning and reaching too much. I’m sure some former, or still, big ugly, on this board can give a better analysis.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Belquist should have been sitting too