SiouxSports.com Forum

Missouri State vs UND 4/24/21 1st Round Playoff Game

SiouxFan100

19 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Neither of those throws were great throws, both receivers were  open by 10 yards.

Both of those throws were decent throws. Sometimes a tougher throw cuz you know you have a TD and you have time. Also a tougher catch than most understand. Receivers have a tendency to start for end zone before securing the ball when they are that open. We have fewer dropped balls this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

I think you may be downgrading Tommy’s skill sets (physical and mental) a tad, and upgrading Quincy’s a hair, at this stage. It’s a common tendency. We’ll most likely see it next fall when Tommy/Quincy are not slicing and dicing Opp defenses and Trey is riding the pine still learning the playbook. It’s easy to wish for the unknown commodity versus the product on the field, which is giving actual criticizable performances (good and bad) with every snap. 

It’ll be interesting to see how Feeney fits into this whole picture. From my understanding he’s the next big thing to come to UND.  Maybe HE does a redshirt year to declutter the QBs a bit? Or does Quincy move to a tight end or WR? Takes Boltmans place after he graduates.   

37 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Neither of those throws were great throws, both receivers were  open by 10 yards.

You're just being a curmudgeon with that take; there was nothing wrong with either throw.  Even with decent coverage both likely would have been completed - neither receiver barely broke stride.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I thought both of the long balls tommy threw were right on the money.  If the receiver had dropped either of those passes, you would have understood?

"Jaxon on the bottom of your screen as he's iso'ed in. Pay attention to him." -- ESPN color guy at just the right time before Turner executes a flawless twist move through the middle for the sack -- UND's 7th of the opening half.

ESPN color guy does his best Tony Romo impression and foreshadows what's about to come down on Struck, with about 25 second to go in the first half. 

32 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

I thought both of the long balls tommy threw were right on the money.  If the receiver had dropped either of those passes, you would have understood?

Both were decent throws to guys who were wide, wide open.  Belquist made an adjustment to the ball, and maag slowed down considerably.

We had 35 yard drive to go up 24-3 early in 2nd quarter.  After that point We had 80 yards of offense until the last drive.

We need to prepare for tight coverage and a stacked box at JMU.  The “million way to throw a swing pass” offense doesn’t work against tight coverage as we found out in Fargo.

28 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Both were decent throws to guys who were wide, wide open.  Belquist made an adjustment to the ball, and maag slowed down considerably.

We had 35 yard drive to go up 24-3 early in 2nd quarter.  After that point We had 80 yards of offense until the last drive.

We need to prepare for tight coverage and a stacked box at JMU.  The “million way to throw a swing pass” offense doesn’t work against tight coverage as we found out in Fargo.

I just watched both of those replays 3 times.  He hit Belquist right in stride, to me Belquist did not change his path at all, and Maag did not slow down considerably.   I am with you though as far as being concerned about when teams stack the box more, but I think trying to criticize either of those throws is being extremely nit picky and looking for something.  I wish Quincy would have gotten in the game with about 9 minutes or so left and had the chance to run the offense.  Should our offense get into a funk, it would be nice to have Quincy as an actual option to put in for a series, or more than just one running play to mix things up.  I think we will run into some struggles against JMU similar to what we did against NDSU and it would be nice if we had another option to mix things up.  Quincy has been very successful running, if you get some completions under his belt that will only help in running situations and really make us harder to prepare for.  Plus I think it would make Quincy feel more involved.  If he sees this as his role for the next four years, coming in and running the ball 3 times, he will be gone now that the portal option is available. 

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Man, talk about making something out of nothing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

8w_f2YsV_normal.jpg

Elliott Belquist

@ElliottBelquist
· 8m
Replying to @ElliottBelquist and @tommillergf
Bummer. Little more then originally thought. Surgery Tuesday

Best wishes to Bo and a speedy recovery.  The kid will be a difference maker by the time he’s a senior.  You could argue he was as a true freshman.  He fits this offense perfectly.   

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Because there’s some people on this board hypnotized by Quincy. I do wish Quincy would have came in earlier but Tommy played a fine game today. Did what was asked of him. 

Right. My thought is not that Quincy should start over Tommy. Tommy has done the job to be the guy; but when the game is in hand, you have to get your next guy some reps and some experience. You never know when you will need him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I would prefer that bubba would get more players into the game more often. As far as I can remember he never has. It would be nice to know why but I am not in charge.

On defense they do a lot of rotating, but not much on offense, which I get. But I think this game they definitely could have gotten Quincy, Mitchell and other WR’s in a little earlier. 

That said I’ve seen Tom Brady playing in the 4th quarter with a significant lead and the game in hand. 

3 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I just watched both of those replays 3 times.  He hit Belquist right in stride, to me Belquist did not change his path at all, and Maag did not slow down considerably.   I am with you though as far as being concerned about when teams stack the box more, but I think trying to criticize either of those throws is being extremely nit picky and looking for something.  I wish Quincy would have gotten in the game with about 9 minutes or so left and had the chance to run the offense.  Should our offense get into a funk, it would be nice to have Quincy as an actual option to put in for a series, or more than just one running play to mix things up.  I think we will run into some struggles against JMU similar to what we did against NDSU and it would be nice if we had another option to mix things up.  Quincy has been very successful running, if you get some completions under his belt that will only help in running situations and really make us harder to prepare for.  Plus I think it would make Quincy feel more involved.  If he sees this as his role for the next four years, coming in and running the ball 3 times, he will be gone now that the portal option is available. 

Tommy is a very good game manager and his play will likely never cost us a game, but tell me how many championships Bison win without a QB who is a threat with their legs too?

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

On defense they do a lot of rotating, but not much on offense, which I get. But I think this game they definitely could have gotten Quincy, Mitchell and other WR’s in a little earlier. 

That said I’ve seen Tom Brady playing in the 4th quarter with a significant lead and the game in hand. 

We hadn’t played a game in 35 days and knew our next game was going to be on the road against arguably the top team in FCS this year.  I have no problem getting the starters more reps.  Sucks to lose a key piece but we had to take opportunities to shake as much rust as possible heading into next week even if it’s just handoffs and timing.  Need a near perfect game next week.  

• Upvote 3

I do wish schuster would take a few yards with his legs if it is there. Take the yards and slide to be smart about it. I can think of at least three times the first down was there with a run that he decided to throw which ended up with an incomplete pass and no first down.

overall very pleased with our young quarterback!

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I do wish schuster would take a few yards with his legs if it is there. Take the yards and slide to be smart about it. I can think of at least three times the first down was there with a run that he decided to throw which ended up with an incomplete pass and no first down.

overall very pleased with our young quarterback!

It is weird that he doesn't ever pull it down and run it. He's not slow and I remember him running a few times against Sam Houston his true freshman year.

6 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

It is weird that he doesn't ever pull it down and run it. He's not slow and I remember him running a few times against Sam Houston his true freshman year.

Maybe this will be the game that Danny utilizes him in that way, and it will totally catch JMU off guard. 

47 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Tommy is a very good game manager and his play will likely never cost us a game, but tell me how many championships Bison win without a QB who is a threat with their legs too?

Brock Jenson was the definition if game manager.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I like Schuster, BUT Tom Schuster is not Tom Brady! :D UND needs to develop their QB depth with gametime reps when they can.

25 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Brock Jenson was the definition if game manager.

What NDSU likes to call their most famous 'drive' in school history....the one against Kstate at the end of the game for the win, Jensen didn't complete or even attempt a pass more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. Jensen was an effective runner though. 

9 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

8w_f2YsV_normal.jpg

Elliott Belquist

@ElliottBelquist
· 8m
Replying to @ElliottBelquist and @tommillergf
Bummer. Little more then originally thought. Surgery Tuesday

Not the best sign, might mean a torn ligament because that requires surgery. Hopefully his rehab goes quick and doesn’t have to be on crutches too long. 

5 hours ago, homer said:

Best wishes to Bo and a speedy recovery.  The kid will be a difference maker by the time he’s a senior.  You could argue he was as a true freshman.  He fits this offense perfectly.   

If bo doesn't recover quickly enough to be full strength in the fall, can he redshirt and stiy get 4more years to play?  Just wondering how things work with this year that doesn't count.