SiouxSports.com Forum

Missouri State vs UND 4/24/21 1st Round Playoff Game

SiouxFan100

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

Tommy won't run the ball for whatever reason and we only throw the ball downfield on double moves and gadget plays.  Good teams play tight coverage to take away the screen-o-rama and stack the box to stop Otis. 

Which goes back to the point I’ve made probably once a month since Clive Georges left town. We lack legit speed to take the top off at wr and it hurts our offense. All of our wrs are either quick or big but non of them can burn.

• Upvote 1

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Which goes back to the point I’ve made probably once a month since Clive Georges left town. We lack legit speed to take the top off at wr and it hurts our offense. All of our wrs are either quick or big but non of them can burn.

agreed but danny seems to think that a certain size wr is better fitted to his o-style...then prove it this week.  

i think we have really good chance of winning this game if all three phases are on point.

15 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is a much better point than the one you were arguing on the two long TD passes. This is why I think we have a very slim, at best, chance of beating JMU

I het the points that you and Midwestern Hawk are making.  Yes, our offense was very "vanilla" and didn't do much.  I agree it would have been nice to just have sustained drives that mile more time off the clock or end in points.  But I am not rag on this team for coming out strong, building a substantial lead, then adding to it via defense and special teams.

We are only 2 point dogs at JMU.  So the oddsmakers would disagree with your chances of us beating them :D

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I het the points that you and Midwestern Hawk are making.  Yes, our offense was very "vanilla" and didn't do much.  I agree it would have been nice to just have sustained drives that mile more time off the clock or end in points.  But I am not rag on this team for coming out strong, building a substantial lead, then adding to it via defense and special teams.

We are only 2 point dogs at JMU.  So the oddsmakers would disagree with your chances of us beating them :D

Believe me, I am in no way trying to rag on this team, nor anyone on it.   This spring has been awesome as a hawks fan!  I just can't imagine JMU doesn't see the same things I'm seeing.  Play one high safety, tight coverage, and stack the box.  I would make Tommy beat me deep or with his legs.   The NDSU game was one of the more frustrating games I've ever attended.

20 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Any chance Damien Owens or the kid from Canada can provide that in the future? Not sure about their speed. 

36 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

So at 8:27 of the 2nd qtr we stopped trying to put points on the board?  I know I'm on an island here, but after we went up 24-3 (35 yard drive) our offense was:

4 plays 31 yards, 1 first down - punt  

3 plays 6 yards, 0 first downs - punt

3 plays 0 yards, 0 first downs - punt

4 plays 37 yards, 0 first downs - fumble

7 plays 26 yards, 2 first downs - punt

3 plays 6 yards, 0 first downs - punt

how crazy is that with the above performance, the team put 20 more points on the board, eh?

1 minute ago, 90siouxfan said:

how crazy is that with the above performance, the team put 20 more points on the board, eh?

Danny obviously saw a couple of tendencies of MSU secondary on early downs and took full advantage on those two early TD passes.  Once the script ended and MSU adjusted, it did not go as well.

Couldn't figure out how to quote from multiple pages, so this is my best.

Midwestern Hawk: "Tommy won't run the ball for whatever reason and we only throw the ball downfield on double moves and gadget plays.  Good teams play tight coverage to take away the screen-o-rama and stack the box to stop Otis."

Geaux_sioux: "We lack legit speed to take the top off at wr and it hurts our offense. All of our wrs are either quick or big but non of them can burn."

Thinking out loud here, but is there a way to get Skokna involved in the passing game that aren't screen passes?  He seems be have been neutralized from scrimmage compared to Gee and especially Weah.

I'm not saying what we are doing offensively is perfect, but watching this compared to Rudy's run, run, pass, punt offense is much improved. The amount of looks and motions UND uses to disguise things is enough to give a DC enough to chew on. Now, I do think if we implemented more QB running we would be even tougher.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I'm not saying what we are doing offensively is perfect, but watching this compared to Rudy's run, run, pass, punt offense is much improved. The amount of looks and motions UND uses to disguise things is enough to give a DC enough to chew on. Now, I do think if we implemented more QB running we would be even tougher.

We certainly lack that QB running dimension. I would agree here.

50 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

So at 8:27 of the 2nd qtr we stopped trying to put points on the board?  I know I'm on an island here, but after we went up 24-3 (35 yard drive) our offense was:

4 plays 31 yards, 1 first down - punt  

3 plays 6 yards, 0 first downs - punt

3 plays 0 yards, 0 first downs - punt

4 plays 37 yards, 0 first downs - fumble

7 plays 26 yards, 2 first downs - punt

You're missing a drive.

You know the one: Quincy had a long run and Mitchell scored. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Given our lack of experience at QB, are the coaches telling Tommy to protect himself at all costs, and running is too much of a risk?  He seems to do well with a moving pocket, which requires him to be mobile, so he could end up turning upfield at some point, right?

22 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Danny obviously saw a couple of tendencies of MSU secondary on early downs and took full advantage on those two early TD passes.  Once the script ended and MSU adjusted, it did not go as well.

It went very well.  :D We won. Survive, win and advance from here on out. Only 8 teams left everyone has everyone's tendencies figured out by now...especially if you've shown everything you got in your arsenal. 

EDIT: I do understand what you are saying.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Food for thought:
Brett Favre and Russell Wilson each have as many Super Bowl wins (one) as Trent Dilfer. 

Having a game manager QB and a defense to go with is acceptable. 

Russ should have a second one but the Mafia didn't allow it...

10 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Given our lack of experience at QB, are the coaches telling Tommy to protect himself and all costs, and running is too much of risk?  He seems to do well with a moving pocket, which requires him to be mobile, so he end up turning upfield at some point, right?

After Tommy and Quincy we have ... 

We really can't afford to lose either so being conservative with them is smart. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Does someone have the time to put together the times when Tommy threw an incomplete pass when running yardage was there for the taking?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Note to Danny........nothing to lose and everything to gain in the next one.  I'm sure he'll be prepared and I don't get the feeling that Bubba has much for limits on the O......until we were up by a large margin.  And for those that easily forget.......Fire Kostich, immediately!!:D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Now that we've hashed and re-hashed the woulda shoulda coulda of a five score win Saturday, are we allowed to look ahead to the largest game in the program's FCS history? 

Apparently not.  I was at a track meet on saturday so did not see the football game yet.  given the discussion here i am struggling to comprehend how we scored 44 points.  Or also,  why in the world we would want Tommy to run with a big lead.  Knowing Bubba's tendencies, in what other games this year would he have wanted Tommy to do more running?  

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

Note to Danny........nothing to lose and everything to gain in the next one.  I'm sure he'll be prepared and I don't get the feeling that Bubba has much for limits on the O......until we were up by a large margin.  And for those that easily forget.......Fire Kostich, immediately!!:D

He sure has turned the special teams around! I am really happy for him and another reminder why you don't fire someone because of short term struggles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UNDColorado said:

He sure has turned the special teams around! I am really happy for him and another reminder why you don't fire someone because of short term struggles.

This is probably the first time in 20 years or so that I genuinely think we have a superb staff. Hopefully they all stay around awhile!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1