SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

10 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

I have to say I agree with this. I find it overall slightly weird in the first place.  Just my opinion....That being said, this is still a free country and people can make their own decisions, but I know what mine would be.

speechless-no-comment.gif

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Point of order: 

This author thinks Canada would populate from the KHL and Euro leagues almost exclusively (a bunch of age 24+ guys), but Team USA would go on a college campus raiding mission? 

That is what I gather. Once in a lifetime shot at a Gold medal, but could be the end of a college career. Play the month of February in China and, God forbid, test positive, and quarantine for 5 weeks. Be home around the beginning of the Frozen 4..... I hope not.

20 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

The selfish side of me hopes that Sanderson would choose not to go to the Olympics since it’s obvious that this is his last season at UND. But if given the opportunity to go and he accepts, I wouldn’t blame him. It’s an honor to be able to represent your country.

Any chance Kleven gets tapped for the Olympic team?  I'd take him over most defensemen behind Sanderson.  He also brings a very physical side if he can stay out of the box.

4 hours ago, FightingSU said:

I would pass on going to China and taking a risk for testing positive and then being forced to quarantine in China  and miss how many games, but gee, maybe that's just me....

I’m with you. Not only for the reason you gave but it’s still China who I trust as much as gas station sushi 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Man, this fanbase can feel so d@mn entitled. This kid owes us nothing, I'm sorry.

If Sandy goes to the Olympics, he is doing so under the UND flag. Add another Olympian to our record books and to our marketing

Do I like that we'll very likely lose our best player for a massive chunk of a really important stretch of the season? Absolutely not.

But, it's a little annoying with our fanbase's inability to see past the moment. To be an Olympian is an incredible honor and we should celebrate it.

Sure, we love having Olympians. What do we love more? Having Nattys. 

Normally those two things aren't mutually exclusive; this year, however, they just might be. 

23 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Sure, we love having Olympians. What do we love more? Having Nattys. 

Normally those two things aren't mutually exclusive; this year, however, they just might be. 

Who's arguing we love titles less than Olympians? What's your point? Nothing you said changes the fact that if Sanderson gets picked for the Olympics, it'll be your choice if you want to be butthurt at a kid who will have to make that decision.

And that's my problem. Feels like a massive lack of empathy from our fanbase and also very selfish.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Who's arguing we love titles less than Olympians? What's your point? Nothing you said changes the fact that if Sanderson gets picked for the Olympics, it'll be your choice if you want to be butthurt at a kid who will have to make that decision.

And that's my problem. Feels like a massive lack of empathy from our fanbase and also very selfish.

If Sanderson goes to the Olympics--given its timing, length, and the uncertainty about being permitted to leave China--Team UND's chances of winning a national championship may take a hit. There might be a trade-off. That's all I'm saying. 

Pointing that out does not make a fan selfish, unempathetic, butthurt, [other emotive trigger word], etc. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Kevin G said:

If Sanderson goes to the Olympics--given its timing, length, and the uncertainty about being permitted to leave China--Team UND's chances of winning a national championship may take a hit. There might be a trade-off. That's all I'm saying. 

Pointing that out does not make a fan selfish, unempathetic, butthurt, [other emotive trigger word], etc. 

I definitely agree our chances to take a hit. I guess I wasn't necessarily pointing you out specifically, but in general, anyone who's calling him out and saying he shouldn't go (again, not you, since you said you were just pointing it out), is definitely being selfish and/or unempathetic. I've seen a lot of it on here and on that God forsaken Facebook group.

On 12/21/2021 at 2:26 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

Man, this fanbase can feel so d@mn entitled. This kid owes us nothing, I'm sorry.

If Sandy goes to the Olympics, he is doing so under the UND flag. Add another Olympian to our record books and to our marketing

Do I like that we'll very likely lose our best player for a massive chunk of a really important stretch of the season? Absolutely not.

But, it's a little annoying with our fanbase's inability to see past the moment. To be an Olympian is an incredible honor and we should celebrate it.

As per usual, you nailed it.

1 hour ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

So let's pretend that COVID is not an issue, and the NHL decides (forget about COVID) again that they are not allowing NHL players to participate. Sanderson gets an invite to play in the Olympics. Do you say anything other than " Go USA!"? 

Great for him,  but as a fan of the team as a whole I don't like it. He would miss a good chunk of the second half and this team needs everyone. Not a big Olympic fan to begin with

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

As per usual, you nailed it.

Thanks man. Just bummed out that people are in any way salty at this kid. I get it. It sucks for us as UND fans for the current season. But, it's the frickin Olympics! If he goes, he deserves it and it's huge for our program in the long term. 

• Upvote 1

The Olympics are the Olympics, but I have a feeling the hockey world will have an asterisk by the winner of this Olympics because of the last minute circumstances.  That still could probably outweigh winning a Hobey Baker for Sanderson, which I believe he is the front runner for right now.  Would guess missing most of the second half would change that status.  Would also guess Ottawa would want him right after the Olympics. 

15 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I definitely agree our chances to take a hit. I guess I wasn't necessarily pointing you out specifically, but in general, anyone who's calling him out and saying he shouldn't go (again, not you, since you said you were just pointing it out), is definitely being selfish and/or unempathetic. I've seen a lot of it on here and on that God forsaken Facebook group.

Im not seeing the same thing you are at all. I see people pointing out the pros and cons, maybe one guy said something about him oweing the U to say no.

Maybe you see more on the fbook group but thats the saddest sack of piece of crap "fans" I've ever encountered, by and large, the ones that post are usually the absolute least knowledgeable segment of the community that exists in the sphere of UND hockey.

I avoid that place like the plague. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tnt said:

The Olympics are the Olympics, but I have a feeling the hockey world will have an asterisk by the winner of this Olympics because of the last minute circumstances.  That still could probably outweigh winning a Hobey Baker for Sanderson, which I believe he is the front runner for right now.  Would guess missing most of the second half would change that status. 

Not sure hes that high on the national scene actually....