SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Not sure hes that high on the national scene actually.... 

For Hobey?  I would think putting up numbers better than Cale Makar at this point is unavoidable to notice.  Yes, Makar was in the East, but all the coaches talk about how Sanderson shouldn't even be at this level, so I would guess the word is out everywhere.  Whether they would still be provincial is another question, but make no mistake everyone that knows about hockey knows Sanderson is legit. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

For Hobey?  I would think putting up numbers better than Cale Makar at this point is unavoidable to notice.  Yes, Makar was in the East, but all the coaches talk about how Sanderson shouldn't even be at this level, so I would guess the word is out everywhere.  Whether they would still be provincial is another question, but make no mistake everyone that knows about hockey knows Sanderson is legit. 

I know that, you know that, a hell of alot of hockey people know that.

But the east coast dandies that beleive the world ends at the Mississippi river make the difference in these things you know that.

The bucci led urge to shakeweight the Michigan kids profiles all over him make a big difference.... its the hip new Boston, don't ya know.

13 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Add in the forboding wrinkle of the China/Taiwan situation.... say these athletes who do test positive are squirreled away for "5 weeks" after the olympics are over.

Suddenly China has a built in prison of high profile political prisoners while that situation escalates... 

It's insane that any Olympics are being held in China at all right now, let alone in the midst of this "pandemic" they obviously had/have a major role in perpetrating upon the world.

I agree it is complete insanity.  China is operating business as usual while Americans are being punished and lambasted for decisions they make reacting to China's transgressions creating this pandemic. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Add in the forboding wrinkle of the China/Taiwan situation.... say these athletes who do test positive are squirreled away for "5 weeks" after the olympics are over.

Suddenly China has a built in prison of high profile political prisoners while that situation escalates... 

It's insane that any Olympics are being held in China at all right now, let alone in the midst of this "pandemic" they obviously had/have a major role in perpetrating upon the world.

Completely agree. I was hoping to see a different location selected or something. I cannot believe the world is all agreeing to even participate in the Chinese hosted Olympic games right now especially with returning home/quarantine concerns. Utter ridiculousness. I hope Sanderson stays home and all the other kids. Now is not the time to be traveling to China as an American...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I agree that Jake Sanderson is probably the best player in the country, but that does not make him the Hobey favorite at this time. You should read Adam Wodon's article in College Hockey News dated December 20, 2021. He lists the Hobey favorites as: (1) Ethan Frank, WMU; (2) Owen Power, Michigan; (3) Devon Levi, Northeastern; (4) Carter Savoie, DU; (5) Nathan Smith, MSUM. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I agree that Jake Sanderson is probably the best player in the country, but that does not make him the Hobey favorite at this time. You should read Adam Wodon's article in College Hockey News dated December 20, 2021. He lists the Hobey favorites as: (1) Ethan Frank, WMU; (2) Owen Power, Michigan; (3) Devon Levi, Northeastern; (4) Carter Savoie, DU; (5) Nathan Smith, MSUM. 

To not have Sanderson in the top 5 tells me more about Wodon than it does about anything regarding the Hobey race.  Seriously doubt there will be many voters that have some of those guys ahead of Sanderson, unless it is a Monique and Jocelyn Lamoureaux type situation where teams didn't vote for them because of jealousies or pettiness, which is kind of what I get from Wodon.   

• Upvote 3

Power has better numbers than Sanderson, and is as high profile as it gets, as the first overall pick in the draft.  On the other hand, his numbers are helped by playing on a stacked team, and I haven't seen him enough to know if he erases opposing offensive possessions as smoothly and consistently as Sanderson does.  Leaman just called Sanderson the best player in college hockey, so that's one eastern voice. 

46 minutes ago, tnt said:

To not have Sanderson in the top 5 tells me more about Wodon than it does about anything regarding the Hobey race.  Seriously doubt there will be many voters that have some of those guys ahead of Sanderson, unless it is a Monique and Jocelyn Lamoureaux type situation where teams didn't vote for them because of jealousies or pettiness, which is kind of what I get from Wodon.   

This is exactly the example...

Wodon is an absolute batcrap crazy triggered jealous petty angry little man who will slight, spurge, and spew his UND hate every chance he gets.... but its this type of asshat that promotes the narrative that costs UND guys votes... (See: Frattin, Kawaguchi)

Add in the bucci dumbass who has already annointed the Michigan kid and its not hard to see where Sanderson will likely be slighted.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-still-very-high-on-freshman-defenseman-brent-johnson

This was a very good read. My only two issues the 1st half have been (1) Lack of playing time for Hellsten (2) Lack of playing time for Johnson. This helps alleviate issue #2.

Well we will see alot of him in 22 when Sanderson is in China

23 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Add in the bucci dumbass who has already anointed the Michigan kid and its not hard to see where Sanderson will likely be slighted.

For college hockey, I'd really like to see ESPN move away from Bucci. He can't see past his love for Hockey East and the B1G. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Goon said:

For college hockey, I'd really like to see ESPN move away from Bucci. He can't see past his love for Hockey East and the B1G. 

He cant see past his own makeup...

He just panders to the largest market that will buy whatever flavor of the season he can rile up.

• Upvote 3

On 12/23/2021 at 8:01 AM, Frozen4sioux said:

I know that, you know that, a hell of alot of hockey people know that.

But the east coast dandies that beleive the world ends at the Mississippi river make the difference in these things you know that.

The bucci led urge to shakeweight the Michigan kids profiles all over him make a big difference.... its the hip new Boston, don't ya know.

East Coast bias or should I say east coast elitism.

• Upvote 2

On 12/23/2021 at 7:50 AM, tnt said:

Cale Makar having played at UMASS was a big plus for him getting the eastern bias votes. Sanderson will not get the eastern bias votes and will get snubbed for the Hobey.

So we’re already declaring that Sanderson is getting wrongly snubbed this year? IMO, he doesn’t even deserve the Hobey yet based on traditional criteria - top 5-10 likely, and hopefully he puts together a Hobey worthy second half - but maybe we should wait for him to earn it and then see how the vote goes before we play the victim/bias card.

It got me curious though, and I hate to challenge the persistent “east coast bias” narrative but a quick count shows 15 of the last 20 hobey baker winners come from “western” schools/conferences.

Sanderson is a great player and may put together a Hobey worthy year, but if he doesn’t win, there are a lot of non-conspiracy reasons for it. Let’s see how it plays out first…

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Brett0909 said:

So we’re already declaring that Sanderson is getting wrongly snubbed this year? IMO, he doesn’t even deserve the Hobey yet based on traditional criteria - top 5-10 likely, and hopefully he puts together a Hobey worthy second half - but maybe we should wait for him to earn it and then see how the vote goes before we play the victim/bias card.

It got me curious though, and I hate to challenge the persistent “east coast bias” narrative but a quick count shows 15 of the last 20 hobey baker winners come from “western” schools/conferences.

Sanderson is a great player and may put together a Hobey worthy year, but if he doesn’t win, there are a lot of non-conspiracy reasons for it. Let’s see how it plays out first…

East Coast bias is particularly harsh when it comes to UND i.e. Matt Frattin.

• Upvote 2