SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

Man, this fanbase can feel so d@mn entitled. This kid owes us nothing, I'm sorry.

If Sandy goes to the Olympics, he is doing so under the UND flag. Add another Olympian to our record books and to our marketing

Do I like that we'll very likely lose our best player for a massive chunk of a really important stretch of the season? Absolutely not.

But, it's a little annoying with our fanbase's inability to see past the moment. To be an Olympian is an incredible honor and we should celebrate it.

He may or may not owe the fan base anything.  Without fans there would not be a UND Hockey team.  Obviously we would be playing somewhere else if not for UND. (possibly in the NHL by now.)  But sure he doesn't owe the fan anything.  He did agree to play hockey for UND this year and accepted a scholarship to do so.  He also owes his teammates to be here.  He is good enough that he will be given many more chances to play in the Olympics.  Also don't like the idea the Covid is enough of a scare that the NHL is not sending there players, however we will send College players.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Big Green said:

He may or may not owe the fan base anything.  Without fans there would not be a UND Hockey team.  Obviously we would be playing somewhere else if not for UND. (possibly in the NHL by now.)  But sure he doesn't owe the fan anything.  He did agree to play hockey for UND this year and accepted a scholarship to do so.  He also owes his teammates to be here.  He is good enough that he will be given many more chances to play in the Olympics.  Also don't like the idea the Covid is enough of a scare that the NHL is not sending there players, however we will send College players.

All of your points are absolutely fair, but none of it precludes anyone from telling him he can't or shouldn't go. He's earned it and if selected, I think he should absolutely go. And we should celebrate this kid being good enough to get this shot. I guarantee his teammates and coaches will. Again, it's a massive feather in our program's cap to have an Olympian. How awesome was it to hear UND talked about when TJ Sochi became a household name a few years back?

He's surely good enough to play in the Olympics again, but "what ifs" always abound.... if he gets the offer and he wants to go, he should absolutely go. 

Yeah, I think the messaging is weird that the US is willing to send others, but the main reason the NHL isn't sending players is because they are protecting their profits for the guys they have on contracts. That doesn't apply to college players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If any of UND's current (or former) players get the opportunity to play for their country in the Olympic Games, I hope they jump on it.   Those opportunities come rarely if ever, and who knows if you ever get the chance again.  

From the POV of a UND hockey fan:  The halls of the Ralph are filled with former players getting Gold Medals, hoisting Stanley Cups, and every recruit who comes in will get to see a few more.  Whatever we may lose in the short term, we more than gain in the long term.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Big Green said:

... if the NHL is concerned about Covid shouldn't ...

... anyone and everyone be concerned about going there? 

"So let me get this straight: You asked Matthews, Kane, Johnny Hockey, and even Brock Boeser to go to Beijing and they all gave you the 'No thanks' so you're asking me to step in front of whatever they wouldn't? Um, they've made their money; I'm still looking to get paid. Thanks, but I'll pass. Five weeks in a 6x8 cinder block room doesn't sound enticing should I pop a false positive." 

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:00 AM, Sweethockey said:

Projecting Canada, U.S. rosters if NHLers don’t go to Beijing (msn.com)

Interesting how they are going to poach from the Juniors if they need to go to Plan "B".

Point of order: 

This author thinks Canada would populate from the KHL and Euro leagues almost exclusively (a bunch of age 24+ guys), but Team USA would go on a college campus raiding mission? 

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

... anyone and everyone be concerned about going there? 

"So let me get this straight: You asked Matthews, Kane, Johnny Hockey, and even Brock Boeser to go to Beijing and they all gave you the 'No thanks' so you're asking me to step in front of whatever they wouldn't? Um, they've made their money; I'm still looking to get paid. Thanks, but I'll pass. Five weeks in a 6x8 cinder block room doesn't sound enticing should I pop a false positive." 

This is the a big deal and an important aspect....

The college guys have a LOT more risk involved for their future.

Best solution is KHL and other european players.

I doubt USA Hockey can or would "compensate"  the kids if and/or when something bad happens and they lose time or future opportunities.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

All of your points are absolutely fair, but none of it precludes anyone from telling him he can't or shouldn't go. He's earned it and if selected, I think he should absolutely go. And we should celebrate this kid being good enough to get this shot. I guarantee his teammates and coaches will. Again, it's a massive feather in our program's cap to have an Olympian. How awesome was it to hear UND talked about when TJ Sochi became a household name a few years back?

He's surely good enough to play in the Olympics again, but "what ifs" always abound.... if he gets the offer and he wants to go, he should absolutely go. 

Yeah, I think the messaging is weird that the US is willing to send others, but the main reason the NHL isn't sending players is because they are protecting their profits for the guys they have on contracts. That doesn't apply to college players.

The NHL doesn't want to delay the season and that is why they pulled the plug on NHL in Olympics.  Unfortunately, those 3 weeks already got booked by a majority of arenas for concerts etc.  It will be interesting to see how they get some makeup games completed. More bubble hockey???  As far as players and protecting those profits if the NHL had gone and a player tested positive, then the player would be out his contract, not ownership.   With the NHLPA not able to obtain a covid insurance policy players were in trouble.

College players carried team USA in 2018.   Just checked USA game times and puck drops in the prelim are 7 AM or 10PM CT.

<back on topic> If player gets the invite Berry should help him pack his bags to go.

8 hours ago, yepdude said:

The NHL doesn't want to delay the season and that is why they pulled the plug on NHL in Olympics.  Unfortunately, those 3 weeks already got booked by a majority of arenas for concerts etc.  It will be interesting to see how they get some makeup games completed. More bubble hockey???  As far as players and protecting those profits if the NHL had gone and a player tested positive, then the player would be out his contract, not ownership.   With the NHLPA not able to obtain a covid insurance policy players were in trouble.

College players carried team USA in 2018.   Just checked USA game times and puck drops in the prelim are 7 AM or 10PM CT.

<back on topic> If player gets the invite Berry should help him pack his bags to go.

If the player wants to go after weighing the pros and cons.

I am not so sure the United States should even be participating in China at all.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I am not so sure the United States should even be participating in China at all.

Especially when they're still using MSG in their Kung Pao. Think of the health risks.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I have to say I agree with this. I find it overall slightly weird in the first place.  Just my opinion....That being said, this is still a free country and people can make their own decisions, but I know what mine would be.

• Upvote 1