SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, Sweethockey said:

They are talking about locking down the border with Canada. Will Kleven and Sanderson be allowed to come home?

Are they already there? I would think CN citizens may not be able to cross but surely American Citizens can come home, right??? (Never thought I would be even close to saying/asking something like this).

On 12/14/2021 at 11:02 AM, farce poobah said:

With apologies, I'm going to retract this one.

I was browsing NCHC's statistics pages, sorted by Goals Scored, and up came (still comes) three players tied with 6 goals each (in conference games only):  Ethen Frank of WMU, Louis Jamernik, and Denver's Carter Mazur.   

But, upon further searching, I see that the NCHC site hasn't yet posted the box score for Western's Friday win over Omaha 4-2, and CHN shows Frank as scoring two goals that night.  So, to the best of my knowledge, Ethen Frank leads the NCHC with 8 goals scored.

My enthusiasm for Louis Jamernik's play is unquenched, and the observation he's getting better each game and getting some stability and chemistry with line mates, still makes me think the end of season could find him on top of the Goals Scored chart.

Again, my apologies for the error.

Much as it hurts to be the one to say this, we need to discuss proper punishment for farce's deceit.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

So is there a chance the January series against Cornell doesn’t happen? 

We'll see if Cornell plays their planned games against ASU or not (scheduled for the week prior to our series with them on Jan 1/2).
If they play ASU, then I'd bet we'd be ok for our series against them.
If they cancel against ASU, then who knows.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Godsmack said:

So is there a chance the January series against Cornell doesn’t happen? 

I would say yes. Looks like the whole school is practically shut down right now. All back to virtual learning even though right from the the schools own mouth - look it up. “900 Covid cases, virtually all are in vaccinated individuals, some with boosters.” Either way. I could see the game not happening.   Not to get political of course. But I could certainly see the game not happening. Does that hurt our rankings etc since we would have 1 less game then ??

1 hour ago, FightingSU said:

But I could certainly see the game not happening. Does that hurt our rankings etc since we would have 1 less game then ??

We’d have two less games. They come to GF for a series. 
It wouldn’t hurt our ranking necessarily but it’s a nice opportunity to improve if UND were to win. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, petey23 said:

It would be unfortunate for Cody Haiskanen as well as I am sure he has been looking forward to playing in front of friends and family.

He had the opportunity to come to UND this fall....opted not to. Get the value of an Ivy school degree but tough to play college hockey when you can't play college hockey. Too bad. Great kid and great family.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

He had the opportunity to come to UND this fall....opted not to. Get the value of an Ivy school degree but tough to play college hockey when you can't play college hockey. Too bad. Great kid and great family.

Yep. he overcame some tough injuries and kept after it. His father is a friend and old softball teammate.

5 minutes ago, NoDak Fan said:

With Omicron being a big concern now and the Eastern schools propensity for shutting down at the drop of a hat, is there a concern that Cornell will 

pull the plug on its trip on Jan. 7-8? I see they are also scheduled to play at Arizona State (Jan. 1-2).

Wondering

ASU is supposed to play at BU January 7-8. If Cornell bails on ASU January 1-2 ASU and UND need to give both east coast schools the middle finger and play each other that weekend....January 7-8.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, brianvf said:

IMO World Junior are one thing and the Olympics are another.  I have no problem allowing players to leave for world juniors, but they should not be allowed to leave for the Olympics.  Typically they only miss 1 non-conference series leaving for World Juniors. The month they are gone for Olympics is prime Conference time.  Also if the NHL is concerned about Covid shouldn't UND be concerned about sending their player or players over to china.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Big Green said:

IMO World Junior are one thing and the Olympics are another.  I have no problem allowing players to leave for world juniors, but they should not be allowed to leave for the Olympics.  Typically they only miss 1 non-conference series leaving for World Juniors. The month they are gone for Olympics is prime Conference time.  Also if the NHL is concerned about Covid shouldn't UND be concerned about sending their player or players over to china.

Agreed.  Plus the whole unknown with their quarantine time.  Seems like a sketchy situation even attempting to go over there.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Allowed to leave? Of course they should be concerned, but what can the team do? Sandy gets picked for the Olympics, it's absolutely his choice to do it since he earned it. Could UND ask him to not go? Sure, but that would kind of dick thing to do, IMO. Sandy is at UND willingly and is not a professional. He gets to make his own choice and obviously it would definitely suck to lose him for that amount of games, but he gets to do what he wants and again, frankly, he's earned that right.

First off I tend to agree. Not a professional but who pays for his tuition, fees, books, meals, etc? 

• Upvote 1