SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

55 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Unless they are injured/sick.... they'll both play against Cornell.

Despite where we sit right now, the NCAA tourney isn't necessarily a given, especially if they drop the ball against Cornell.  I would expect if they can play they will at least be in the lineup and let the game dictate ice time depending on how grueling the World Juniors are.  Those games are too important for pairwise to try and take a chance at getting by without two of your best defensemen.   

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Kevin G said:

They'll want to...the question is, Will Klevin get out of the penalty box in time to catch the flight home?

Well whether he is in the penalty box or on the ice one thing is certain the other team is 100% aware and focused as to his whereabouts.

5 hours ago, FightingSU said:

I feel like they shouldn’t isn’t playing for UND more important that WJC? Idk…

WJC is pretty important for these athletes and has been supported heavily by the coaches, many of whom have had the rare opportunity to participate in the World Juniors and represent their home country themselves. 6-8 games on the world stage against the best in the world for the age group in exchange for missing an exhibition game and two non conference games. I know what I would wish for as a coach for my athlete

….maybe the answer is less blue chippas :wink:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Kleven merely falls into the long line of UND defensemen that remind you to keep your head up.

Kleven, Smaby, Greene, Finley, MacWilliam, Commodore, etc, etc, etc,... 

We just haven't had one of that vintage for a while. 

And they all had a target on their backs with the refs because of reputations.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Okay, who had put a bet on Louis Jamernik leading the NCHC in goals at New Years? 

And … I wouldn’t bet against him finishing the season there. 

With apologies, I'm going to retract this one.

I was browsing NCHC's statistics pages, sorted by Goals Scored, and up came (still comes) three players tied with 6 goals each (in conference games only):  Ethen Frank of WMU, Louis Jamernik, and Denver's Carter Mazur.   

But, upon further searching, I see that the NCHC site hasn't yet posted the box score for Western's Friday win over Omaha 4-2, and CHN shows Frank as scoring two goals that night.  So, to the best of my knowledge, Ethen Frank leads the NCHC with 8 goals scored.

My enthusiasm for Louis Jamernik's play is unquenched, and the observation he's getting better each game and getting some stability and chemistry with line mates, still makes me think the end of season could find him on top of the Goals Scored chart.

Again, my apologies for the error.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

With apologies, I'm going to retract this one.

I was browsing NCHC's statistics pages, sorted by Goals Scored, and up came (still comes) three players tied with 6 goals each (in conference games only):  Ethen Frank of WMU, Louis Jamernik, and Denver's Carter Mazur.   

But, upon further searching, I see that the NCHC site hasn't yet posted the box score for Western's Friday win over Omaha 4-2, and CHN shows Frank as scoring two goals that night.  So, to the best of my knowledge, Ethen Frank leads the NCHC with 8 goals scored.

My enthusiasm for Louis Jamernik's play is unquenched, and the observation he's getting better each game and getting some stability and chemistry with line mates, still makes me think the end of season could find him on top of the Goals Scored chart.

Again, my apologies for the error.

I met Carter Mazur and his dad and grandpa when they were in town for the series. I was staying at the Canad. Really REALLY friendly dad and gramps - Carter was really friendly as well. Had a couple beers with his dad and gramps and spoke about Carter being signed to the Red Wings etc. Will be fun to see where he ends up as well.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Kevin G said:

They'll want to...the question is, Will Kleven get out of the penalty box in time to catch the flight home?

I kid because I love. And I do love Kleven's game; I just wish he'd be a bit more disciplined. 

One of my earliest memories of Sioux hockey was watching Jim Archibald being skated over to the penalty box by a referee. And it seemed like every time Archibald was on the ice, he ended up going to the penalty box. He seemed like a man among boys sometimes. Kleven reminds me of Archibald a little bit, even though Archibald was a forward.

For funsies, I looked up Archibald's stats. Look at those goals...and those penalty minutes.

Year         Team                      League GP  G   A   Pts  PIM

1981-82 U. of North Dakota WCHA 41 10 16 26 96            
1982-83 U. of North Dakota WCHA 33 7 14 21 91            
1983-84 U. of North Dakota WCHA 44 21 15 36 156            
1984-85 U. of North Dakota WCHA 41 37 24 61

19 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

I kid because I love. And I do love Kleven's game; I just wish he'd be a bit more disciplined. 

One of my earliest memories of Sioux hockey was watching Jim Archibald being skated over to the penalty box by a referee. And it seemed like every time Archibald was on the ice, he ended up going to the penalty box. He seemed like a man among boys sometimes. Kleven reminds me of Archibald a little bit, even though Archibald was a forward.

For funsies, I looked up Archibald's stats. Look at those goals...and those penalty minutes.

Year         Team                      League GP  G   A   Pts  PIM

1981-82 U. of North Dakota WCHA 41 10 16 26 96            
1982-83 U. of North Dakota WCHA 33 7 14 21 91            
1983-84 U. of North Dakota WCHA 44 21 15 36 156            
1984-85 U. of North Dakota WCHA 41 37 24 61

I wonder how many of those penalties and minutes were offsetting.  I doubt the box scores exist anymore, so actual numbers couldn't be re-created.   My recollection is a lot of fighting majors where he drew an opponent into the box with him.  (5+10 or 2+2+10) If he was going to give the opponent a power play, he was getting his money's worth in dealing out pain. 

But yeah, I'll concede that Kleven deals out pain.   Its just that the game has changed so much.   In the 1980's with the average score of say 6-5, giving away one powerplay or two wasn't such as big deal compared to the 2020's where the scoring averages are half of that.

P.S.  Archibald's PIM at UND are much less than when he played Juniors at Moose Jaw in the SJHL.

11 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I see that Cornell basically went to code red today due to Covid.   Shutdown athletics for right now.  Will be curious to see if that impacts their visit the first weekend in January.

2 more weeks.......

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SJHovey said:

I see that Cornell basically went to code red today due to Covid.   Shutdown athletics for right now.  Will be curious to see if that impacts their visit the first weekend in January.

- Cornell Jessup, did you order the Code Red?

-- You want antibodies?

- I think I'm entitled to them. 

-- You want antibodies?!

- I want the boost!

-- You can't handle the boost!

• Upvote 2