SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

So maybe the University should wait until late August to renew season tickets so the fanbase can make decisions in their best interests. You lose your #1 Center this late is going to be tough.  Being strong down the center is huge and losing all that we lost besides, we could be fighting for home ice.

• Upvote 1

It's no surprise that at the end of the year, the San Jose Sharks offered Weatherby an opportunity to sign and turn pro. But after mulling the offer for a few days, Weatherby informed the Sharks he is going to return to school for his senior season.

"I thought a lot about it and tried to take my time," Weatherby said. "This is a special place. And I think for me, I want to win. I want to win a national championship. I've wanted to play college hockey since I was a little kid. Obviously, I had an opportunity to sign a contract and move on, but for me, I look at my development, and I look at it as, 'I want to win.' It was the right decision for me."

Link: https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/6966785-Jasper-Weatherby-to-return-for-his-senior-season

Guess this was a load of bs. He in fact DID NOT think enough about it.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Link: https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/6966785-Jasper-Weatherby-to-return-for-his-senior-season

You missed the part where he went to development camp this week, dominated, and then was offered again. It is what it is.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, tnt said:

So maybe the University should wait until late August to renew season tickets so the fanbase can make decisions in their best interests. You lose your #1 Center this late is going to be tough.  Being strong down the center is huge and losing all that we lost besides, we could be fighting for home ice.

Good to know Bubbs' job is safe this year. Jasper is our new scapegoat.

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Good to know Bubbs' job is safe this year. Jasper is our new scapegoat.

You lose half your team it’s tough, especially all your top scorers.  The transfers will have to be huge if we are going to contend, but I imagine chemistry will take time.

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

You lose half your team it’s tough, especially all your top scorers.  The transfers will have to be huge if we are going to contend, but I imagine chemistry will take time.

Just giving you a hard time. We were definitely going to be battling for home ice and I completely agree the chemistry will take time. I am excited about all the new players with transfers and rookies. Still think this team can be a darn good one. Gonna be heavy and strong defensively. Losing Jasper doesn't help, no doubt. But, I think we'll be ok. 

I'm interested in how/if/when we fill this last spot. Heard a couple intriguing rumors. Certainly nothing set in stone.

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Just giving you a hard time. We were definitely going to be battling for home ice and I completely agree the chemistry will take time. I am excited about all the new players with transfers and rookies. Still think this team can be a darn good one. Gonna be heavy and strong defensively. Losing Jasper doesn't help, no doubt. But, I think we'll be ok. 

I'm interested in how/if/when we fill this last spot. Heard a couple intriguing rumors. Certainly nothing set in stone.

You definitely don’t want to just throw scholarship money to anyone, as there may be plenty more options in the future, but it would be nice to get someone that could help us this year, if there is someone out there that can.

6 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

100% is, please dont kid yourself.

Whether you want to believe it or not, the stances he took did create friction in the room. And out of it.

And yes it did cost some donation dollars to the program. Thats a fact.

So yes that is detrimental to the team.

I'd say bailing on August 23rd is a bit detrimental as well, but symantics at this point.

Maybe he can use some of that money to help that joke of a movement blm 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Or maybe he had a hell of a summer and continued his rapid development.

I didn't care for the whole kneeling fiasco but that aside it is hard to fault a kid for pursuing his opportunity(yes, the timing sucks). I am sure part of the reason he came to UND was because he knew the coaching staff would help him develop  and watching his progress the last 3 years has been a pretty good testament to what UND can offer players who are looking to make a living playing Pro Hockey.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Definitely feel where you're coming from on it being a late move. Not a good look and is a huge bummer. But, the Sharks aren't good... maybe they are signing him with a shot at the NHL this season? So hard to pass up. He did what he thinks is right for himself.

We’ll see. NHL is a lot tougher than college puck. You leave early when you’re dominating…especially overagers 

• Upvote 1

Amazing how many fans on here are crucifying Weatherby for this decision. Things change. The assumption that because he was interested in helping to move forward the BLM movement, whether anyone agrees or not, confirms this two-time captain selection didn’t have character and we’re better off without him is genuinely surprising to me. His teammates voted him in, but I guess we all know better than any of them what his character was, despite a coaching staff who values character as much as any school in the country…and linking this to his support of minority activism in any way?

I’ll assume the best, wish him the best, and give him the benefit of the doubt. For all we know, this was the hardest decision in his life and coaches / teammates encouraged him to take the offer after camp which was undoubtedly a lifelong dream. Until I see indications to confirm he handled this poorly (team is mad at him, credible evidence he was a locker room problem, etc), who are we to judge? It sucks to lose him and the timing is awful, but he may have done everything right here and had best intentions throughout. If that’s not good enough and you would have honestly put your college team’s interests ahead of a lifelong dream no matter the situation, I respect that…but I personally don’t expect blind loyalty from the players. 

College students and recent graduates go through many changes as they begin to reach opportunities. Many of those come at the spare of a moment. I understand why some are suprised, but frustrated? No. He served as a positive role model and served well in his role. Students and college athletes don't go to school for fans. They go to get degrees and to better their chances of living out dreams. I lived mine out transfering to University of North Dakota. Many told me I shouldn't, but I knew I had to do it for myself. I would never want to be the college that held him from reaching his dream. Did he leave at a bad time? Maybe, but I'd rather have him reach his dream now then for him to play another season wishing he was else where. Anyone who has even been given an opportunity to persue a dream or life goal should understand why he did what he did.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Sucks

I wouldn’t be too hard on Jasper though. Gosh - he is probably set for life.  Tough to pass that up. Of course I don’t know his personal situation.

Set for life?  He most likely will be making 75K in the AHL this year…hardly set for life.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm interested too...can't be many impact players available this late in the game. 
"Hey do you want to play hockey for UND this year...by the way, school starts tomorrow"

6 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

This is where I lean. He's not that old....he will not be a high end NHL player this year. He had the chance to take on a very large role with this team and run with it. If this was his "dream employer", he could have easily signed in April and burned the first year of his contract. To be clear, I understand college hockey is simply is stepping stone for almost all players...but in this players case, there was more development to be had. You sign when you start dominating. Sure, he had a great end to last year but stretch it out for a bit to the team that gave you the chance.  This one doesn't sit well with me...especially for someone who was voted in as an assistant captain.

Well said.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Absolutely no respect for Weatherby to make a decision like this in August. You commit to the team this spring, the staff is counting on you, the rest of the team is counting on you and then in late August you bail? Absolutely disgusting. Jasper obviously is much more of a ME type player than I ever thought. Couldn't care less what his hockey career looks like the rest of the way.

TBH I feel the same way in these situations. Had they known he was leaving (which is a giant head scratcher) they could have brought in another grad transfer to fill the hole.

• Upvote 2