SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

8 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

2nd time in just a few years that a UND loss in Fargo results in a change in college hockey. Last time was the offside rule, this time a day off is added between regional games. The first I agree with....the latter not so much.

I believe that the higher seed should of had the bye last spring in regionals. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

2nd time in just a few years that a UND loss in Fargo results in a change in college hockey. Last time was the offside rule, this time a day off is added between regional games. The first I agree with....the latter not so much.

This sucks.  Best Sports day of the year is Regional Saturday.  Looks like that is not going to happen anymore.

Just give the #1 seed the early game.  Teams play back to back night all year long. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Big Green said:

This sucks.  Best Sports day of the year is Regional Saturday.  Looks like that is not going to happen anymore.

Just give the #1 seed the early game.  Teams play back to back night all year long. 

Agreed. If ESPN wasn't involved and monkeying with times to get better ratings it wouldn't be a problem.

Had Loveland circled as a potential Regional to attend, less likely now. Curious how this shakes out with attendance and bids going forward.

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

I'd imagine it'll still happen. I'm assuming it'll be Thursday-Saturday and Friday-Sunday. Could make it better! I guess we'll see.

Actually the NCAA felt bad that the Duluth goalie couldn’t even finish one game and a few overtime’s and decided he might need a day between should they run into the same scenario again. Of course DHG would understand being out of shape.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/7192715-Jake-Sanderson-wins-UNDs-Iron-Man-competition

Sanderson won the Iron Man competition.

Sanderson, who was selected as an alternate captain last month, finished with 758 points out of a maximum 900.

Junior defenseman Ethan Frisch finished second with 696, followed by Connor Ford (670), Judd Caulfield (669) and rookie Jake Schmaltz (660).

A couple players who may have been candidates to finish in the top five, like senior Gavin Hain, were held out of select events for precautionary reasons as they recover from minor injuries. Berry said there's no need to worry, though. Hain is a full go at practice and is expected to be a key player for the Fighting Hawks when they open their season Oct. 2 with an exhibition game against Bemidji State.

• Upvote 1

Sanderson a pre-season all-conference pick. No shocker :)

2021 NCHC Preseason All-Conference Team
F – Veeti Miettinen, So., St. Cloud State – 22 votes
F – Noah Cates, Sr., Minnesota Duluth – 18 votes
F – Chayse Primeau, Sr., Omaha – 13 votes
D – Ronnie Attard, Jr., Western Michigan – 22 votes
D – Nick Perbix, Sr., St. Cloud State – 13 votes
D – Jake Sanderson, So., North Dakota – 13 votes
G – Ludvig Persson, So., Miami – 10 votes

59 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Single game tickets for Quinnipiac hockey went on sale starting yesterday. The series against UND is considered a premium series so the tickets are a few bucks more but only $25 each which is pretty darn affordable.

Wish I could go but Nashville the weekend right after makes it a no go for me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Wish I could go but Nashville the weekend right after makes it a no go for me.

Yah, I kinda had to pick and choose too. The boss (aka, my wife) would probably divorce me if I went to every road series. I’m trying to get to every college hockey arena in the country for a game and haven’t made it way out to Connecticut before so figured this was as good a time as any. 

• Upvote 1