SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

45 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Fair enough. Totally get what you're saying and it's definitely not my favorite, either. I just can understand what that kind of decision would be like both positively and negatively. Tough choice. He made his. You can have sour grapes, but doesn't change anything. 

Sour grapes? Not me. I won't make the argument that he wasn't that good for us anyway.

Based on the young mans track record at this point its fair to question which username he's actually using on here to fluff the situation for him.....

Or did he just do that to get some girl more playing time, or to get a coach fired?

Sorry, stoke his/your ego all you want, but dude killed a scholorship spot a day before class started.

Its not just about him, his timing and decision also screwed over another hockey player.....

....as well as his team.

An opinion on his character is very fair.

• Upvote 2

On 8/23/2021 at 11:09 AM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Not to mention the cyberbullying of his girlfriend's coach.

Easy......you mean the social justice warrior right?  Makes it tough to follow what he's preaching when he pulled something like that.

Not the best timing IMHO, but I'm guessing Mr. Weatherby doesn't give a rats @ss.

Good luck to the guy in pursuing his career. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Easy......you mean the social justice warrior right?  Makes it tough to follow what he's preaching when he pulled something like that.

Not the best timing IMHO, but I'm guessing Mr. Weatherby doesn't give a rats @ss.

Good luck to the guy in pursuing his career. 

After sleeping on it, it still stings, but while college hockey means more than pro to many of us, it's his hockey odyssey/career path/etc.

He was always a good interview, hopefully the articles/videos on the subject of his signing shine some light on the decision making process.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

After sleeping on it, it still stings, but while college hockey means more than pro to many of us, it's his hockey odyssey/career path/etc.

He was always a good interview, hopefully the articles/videos on the subject of his signing shine some light on the decision making process.

I think I'll agree with the narrative that the Sharks made it too good of a deal to pass up after impressing the brass at their prospect camp.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Wow this looks like someone who tore apart a locker room! :whistling:

Not surprising his teammates are more understanding than a bunch of butthurt fans.  

Those guys know the score.  They come to UND, first and foremost, to develop for the next level.  They know, well, that when the time is right and the situation presents itself, by god you take it.  Hockey at this level (and above) is a cutthroat business.  Frankly, I bet some guys are jumping for joy because a prime first-line roster spot was just opened up.  

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

OK, we lose the projected top center.

So now Ford is the top center. Then Senden and Jamernik. Does Hain go to center? Does a freshman play center? (Connor McD wanna be a pilot?) 

Didn't they put Budy at center a little bit last year?  

Not only did we lose a ton of our top scorers, we lose two of the best faceoff guys in college hockey, preventing offense from the opponent.  I think Ford had good numbers, but we need Senden, etc. to pick up the slack.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It's not a narrative, it's what happened lol. 

Not sure what they offered and promised in April but he did sign a max entry level contract and sounds like they think he has a shot of seeing some NHL time this year as they like his ability to win faceoffs and his size. He can eat up bottom 6 minutes and also has offensive skills. 

2 years, 925k prorated when he is in the NHL and 70k when he is in the AHL.

Like I said I sure don't like the timing and didn't care for the kneeling but his path is a commercial for UND hockey developing talent. When he got to UND he looked like a player who was drafted in the 4th round mainly because he was 6-4 and was just as likely to be another 4th round draft pick who you never hear from again after college and he just got better and better while at UND.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, franchise said:

One in particular would be awesome

I'm intrigued.  What are you hearing?  New recruit coming in this year...moving up a current recruit a year early...transfer portal player...sniping a recruited player from another school??  :)

Honestly, I have no clue what lineups will look like.

What do y’all got?

^Hain (sr) Ford (sr) Gaber (so)

Budy (jr) *Senden (sr) Caulfield (jr)

Costantini (fr) Jamernik (fr) Calder (jr)

Kunz (fr) Schmaltz(fr) Portz (fr)

Ness (so) Bowen? (fr) Albrecht (jr)

^Sanderson (so) ^Frisch (jr)

Kleven (so) Jandric (jr)

Moore (so) Johnson (fr)

Bast (fr) Ferner (jr)

Driscoll (sr)

Hellsten (fr)

I see no reason to separate Gaber-Caulfield and Senden-Hain.  They worked well last year.   An all freshman 4th line could work given sheltered minutes; at least starting out.  .   

Gaber - Ford - Caulfield
Hain - Senden - Calder
Ness - Jamernik - Budy
Schmaltz - Kunz - Portz

Sanderson - Frisch
Kleven - Moore
Jandric - Johnson

Driscoll
Hellsten

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He absolutely has a chance to make the Sharks out of camp, without a doubt, and could make $900K. Set for life, likely not, but still pretty darn good.

Would have had an even better chance next year if he would have stayed at UND to develop and round out his game one more year. 5 short months ago he was not ready to fill a spot in an NHL lineup, I will be surprised if this goes down as the right decision. I’ve been watching UND hockey for 50 years…9 times out of 10 guys leave too early rather than too late. Past players will tell you the same. Apparently the sting of losing in the fashion that UND did last spring and the chance to capture unfinished business as a senior captain wasn’t a big priority for this young man…perhaps it is truly best for both parties if he moved along to try to better himself.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

I'm intrigued.  What are you hearing?  New recruit coming in this year...moving up a current recruit a year early...transfer portal player...sniping a recruited player from another school??  :)

Not a current recruit or a portal player, but it's a no go now.