SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

4 hours ago, ksixpack said:

Would have had an even better chance next year if he would have stayed at UND to develop and round out his game one more year. 5 short months ago he was not ready to fill a spot in an NHL lineup, I will be surprised if this goes down as the right decision. I’ve been watching UND hockey for 50 years…9 times out of 10 guys leave too early rather than too late. Past players will tell you the same. Apparently the sting of losing in the fashion that UND did last spring and the chance to capture unfinished business as a senior captain wasn’t a big priority for this young man…perhaps it is truly best for both parties if he moved along to try to better himself.

If it's the wrong decision it's his decision so he deals with the consequences.  I wonder how many people on this board have made decisions in their lives that turned out to be bad in hindsight.  In the same token, I'm sure we've all made decisions that worked out.  The fact that so many people are so vehement about another person's decision makes me think that they are living vicariously through other people, which makes me wonder if they made all the right decisions in their lives. 

11 hours ago, Berrybro7 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/hockey/.amp/news/ranking-the-best-developmental-programs-in-north-america

UND ranked as third best NCAA developmental program based on this analysis. Thoughts?

The #1 is only there because of Makar.

7 hours ago, gfhockey said:

I remember the days of und being #1 

anyone care to elaborate on the 1 and 2?

Your favorite team is #2, but I'm sure you knew this.

23 minutes ago, tnt said:

The fact that so many people are so vehement about another person's decision makes me think that they are living vicariously through other people

I think it's more so that the average fans are interested in the success of the team at The Ralph first, and the success of players at the next level second.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, tnt said:

If it's the wrong decision it's his decision so he deals with the consequences.  I wonder how many people on this board have made decisions in their lives that turned out to be bad in hindsight.  In the same token, I'm sure we've all made decisions that worked out.  The fact that so many people are so vehement about another person's decision makes me think that they are living vicariously through other people, which makes me wonder if they made all the right decisions in their lives. 

It would be a pretty dull chat if nobody chatted

5 minutes ago, ChadR said:

Confirmed

I want to make sure I get ahead of this so I know whether to be outraged or not. Are we supposed to be upset with this decision since he had committed to play with a different team this year already (even though the situation has changed) or do we give this one a pass since he's coming to UND and not from UND?

Either way, glad they found someone and hope he makes the best of the opportunity in front of him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

I want to make sure I get ahead of this so I know whether to be outraged or not. Are we supposed to be upset with this decision since he had committed to play with a different team this year already (even though the situation has changed) or do we give this one a pass since he's coming to UND and not from UND?

Either way, glad they found someone and hope he makes the best of the opportunity in front of him.

…huh?

17 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

…huh?

People are upset with a player that committed to come back to UND changing his mind after getting new information on his chances at the next level and took it.
That spot is (reportedly) being filled by someone who committed to play in the BCHL this year but due to changing circumstances, got his shot to come to UND and took it.
Just want to make sure we're collectively being consistent with our "outrage" over people changing their decisions and doing what is best for their own development based on new information and opportunities.

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Don't bother.....

Isn't it pertinent?  If Weatherby is evil for leaving after committing to come in, shouldn't Montgomery be evil for ditching the team he committed to for the coming year?   At least Weatherby is making some money. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

Isn't it pertinent?  If Weatherby is evil for leaving after committing to come in, shouldn't Montgomery be evil for ditching the team he committed to for the coming year?   At least Weatherby is making some money. 

"Evil" for leaving? I'm definitely not in that camp. I'm not even in the camp his leaving is detrimental to the team. The timing of his decision is poor but new opportunities don't always follow a perfect time-line.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Berrybro7 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/hockey/.amp/news/ranking-the-best-developmental-programs-in-north-america

UND ranked as third best NCAA developmental program based on this analysis. Thoughts?

Using a survey, with no criteria explained, seems far too shallow.  And given the voters are ranking all the hockey in North America, makes it seem more like a ranking of the last couple NCAA tournament results than anything with real substance.

I'll take a stab at something objective ... NHL players in 2020-2021, from that school, who spent 2-4 years there (really how much development happens in one year...), AND excluding draft choices from rounds 1-3 (they were going to play pro anyway) ... I thought about counting just Free Agents but that penalizes schools with a reputation for strong development.  (Data extracted from collegehockeyinc.com)

Survey #1  UMass  7

Survey #2  UMD  9

Survey #3  UND  11

Survey #4  Michigan 7 

Survey #5  BU 2

Unranked:

Northeastern 8

St Cloud,  Minnesota 7

Denver, Notre Dame, Providence, Harvard 6

BC, Miami, Ohio State 5

My $.02

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, tnt said:

Ahh, I get it. Moving around the junior landscape is much easier than ncaa hockey. I’m guessing Penticton will be able to replace him easily.  

• Upvote 1

Were there a ton of fans at his Junior team wondering if he was going to be leaving come April?  I guess I don't know if he was the #1 center who announced he was returning to his team.  If that was the case then I would understand if the fans of the team he just left might be pissed.  I do love the argument that a person has to make perfect life choices in order to be annoyed with someone else that screws over your team.  I genuinely love reading all the comments on here.  

• Upvote 2

Almost 20 percent of college hockey's NHL signings this offseason were UND players. Interesting that only one was a first-rounder; majority were not top 100 picks (JBD 1/26, Pinto 2/32, Mismash 2/61, Weatherby 4/102, Adams 6/170, Scheel UDFA, Kiersted UDFA, Kawaguchi UFDA).

Wowzers.

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2021 at 7:41 PM, Berrybro7 said:

Riley Tufte and Dylan Samberg are the only blue chips UMD has landed recently and they are both busts. They should not be ranked second.

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Riley Tufte and Dylan Samberg are the only blue chips UMD has landed recently and they are both busts. They should not be ranked second.

Tufte hasn’t lived up to expectations, but it might be too early on Samberg, as he is in the top 3 of Jets’ prospects.