SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I guess I don't understand the "big picture" here. Could you elaborate? 

I can't speak of what he was like as a locker room guy, but a two-year captaincy isn't a joke at UND. I certainly never heard of any major gripes.

All I see is a team who lost their clear No. 1 center and defensive stud basically a month before the season. 

39 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

100% is, please dont kid yourself.

Whether you want to believe it or not, the stances he took did create friction in the room. And out of it.

And yes it did cost some donation dollars to the program. Thats a fact.

So yes that is detrimental to the team.

I'd say bailing on August 23rd is a bit detrimental as well, but symantics at this point.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

He can go take a knee somewhere else. Big picture team wise it is addition by subtraction.

This.  Whether it's taking a knee or jumping ship a month before the season starts, losing a me first player might not be the loss everyone is thinking it will be.  

12 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

This.  Whether it's taking a knee or jumping ship a month before the season starts, losing a me first player might not be the loss everyone is thinking it will be.  

After all of this supposed "friction" he created in the locker room, he was again voted a captain.

Yes, he did something as a "me" player, but that's why you come to UND, to try and play in the NHL. Would he have still been a "me" player had he not jumped? Again, he was voted a captain -- twice.

It's not a season ender because we have good players, but it's absolutely not an addition by subtraction.

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

After all of this supposed "friction" he created in the locker room, he was again voted a captain.

No one knew he was a "me" player until he jumped.  

It's not a season ender because we have good players, but it's absolutely not an addition by subtraction.

Has a player that was a captain one season not been "voted" back as captain the next season?  Seems like it's kind of a default type of deal.  And keep in mind the "friction" would have happened after he already had the captain-ship given to him. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Has a player that was a captain one season not been "voted" back as captain the next season?  Seems like it's kind of a default type of deal.  And keep in mind the "friction" would have happened after he already had the captain-ship given to him. 

So, your take is that he created friction, but because of a default, he just was given it again? I mean, I don't think that's true, but I can't say you're wrong. 

Everyone has their opinions on the kid and that's fine, but losing a No. 1 center and the type of player he is is absolutely not addition by subtraction. This feels like personal resentment for the kid over his kneeling. I find it hard to see Jasper as a "me" guy and how the team is in any way boosted by losing him. 

• Upvote 2

I mean he was a good player and all that but nobody will remember him in a decade.  Always was a secondary player here that would have been a frontline player with less firepower around him.  Probably got nervous he wouldn't perform and took the money.  Genuinely a bitch move. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BIGSIOUX said:

Our fans are the worst.  Yeesh.  

good luck to jasper.  

Haha.  Yep we are just the worst.  Wish we all had the character of a guy to bail on a team at the last minute.  Classy move that should be applauded apparently.....

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, snooty89 said:

Haha.  Yep we are just the worst.  Wish we all had the character of a guy to bail on a team at the last minute.  Classy move that should be applauded apparently.....

Kid made a decision for himself, which is likely tied to his dream of playing NHL hockey. Sharks are apparently giving him his shot. Sometimes, you gotta jump. We don't know the whole story. 

I definitely don't disagree that it reflects a bit on his character, but what does Jasper owe us as fans, personally? He came here to try and develop into a pro hockey player. There's a difference between applauding him for leaving and understanding why he did it. A lot of this thread feels like sour grapes towards a kid because some don't like him because of his political beliefs. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Kid made a decision for himself, which is likely tied to his dream of playing NHL hockey. Sharks are apparently giving him his shot. Sometimes, you gotta jump. We don't know the whole story. 

I definitely don't disagree that it reflects a bit on his character, but what does Jasper owe us as fans, personally? He came here to try and develop into a pro hockey player. There's a difference between applauding him for leaving and understanding why he did it. A lot of this thread feels like sour grapes towards a kid because some don't like him because of his political beliefs. 

Can't speak to his political beliefs but can say most college kids are stupid to begin with.  I know when I was a college kid 90% of them had the same political beliefs and had no idea how the actual world worked.  Granted as a hockey player going to the next level he probably never will get a taste for applying for jobs and getting a real job for quite some time.  I don't appreciate his timing of leaving the team in a bind. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, snooty89 said:

Can't speak to his political beliefs but can say most college kids are stupid to begin with.  I know when I was a college kid 90% of them had the same political beliefs and had no idea how the actual world worked.  Granted as a hockey player going to the next level he probably never will get a taste for applying for jobs and getting a real job for quite some time.  I don't appreciate his timing of leaving the team in a bind. 

Hey, all of that is level-headed, IMO. None of us like the timing and that makes sense. With that said, your dream employer calls you with your dream job, you stay because of your team? Not sure I would. 

1 minute ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I'll fess up to some sour grapes, but I didn't care about the knee situation. The anonymous bashing of a school employee on his girlfriend's behalf was a poor choice though.

A big part of it for me was my expectation that he was going to come alive like Frattin did as a Senior. Both had strong second halves of their Junior year. Not comparing their off ice lives at all; he seemed primed to explode this year.

Totally agree with the bashing of the school employee. Kids do dumb things lol.

Yep, totally a bummer for our squad. I really thought he was gonna have a great year, too. But, he had to make a choice for himself. 

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hey, all of that is level-headed, IMO. None of us like the timing and that makes sense. With that said, your dream employer calls you with your dream job, you stay because of your team? Not sure I would. 

He could have finished the commitment to his team and then taken his dream job in mid April.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, franchise said:

He could have finished the commitment to his team and then taken his dream job in mid April.

This is where I lean. He's not that old....he will not be a high end NHL player this year. He had the chance to take on a very large role with this team and run with it. If this was his "dream employer", he could have easily signed in April and burned the first year of his contract. To be clear, I understand college hockey is simply is stepping stone for almost all players...but in this players case, there was more development to be had. You sign when you start dominating. Sure, he had a great end to last year but stretch it out for a bit to the team that gave you the chance.  This one doesn't sit well with me...especially for someone who was voted in as an assistant captain.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

This is where I lean. He's not that old....he will not be a high end NHL player this year. He had the chance to take on a very large role with this team and run with it. If this was his "dream employer", he could have easily signed in April and burned the first year of his contract. To be clear, I understand college hockey is simply is stepping stone for almost all players...but in this players case, there was more development to be had. You sign when you start dominating. Sure, he had a great end to last year but stretch it out for a bit to the team that gave you the chance.  This one doesn't sit well with me...especially for someone who was voted in as an assistant captain.

Definitely feel where you're coming from on it being a late move. Not a good look and is a huge bummer. But, the Sharks aren't good... maybe they are signing him with a shot at the NHL this season? So hard to pass up. He did what he thinks is right for himself.

• Upvote 1