SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

I don’t equate this to Tambellini whatsoever.  Tambellini didn’t want to work for more playing time in certain situations.  I have a feeling if this was Pinto leaving this late he would get a little more slack, but I think people have the kneeling episode as another knock against Jasper even though it seemed they forgave him down the stretch of last year when he was producing better than anyone.  I’m not so sure everyone would hold fast to a decision if they were pressed by their future employer and had the pot sweetened.  It would be interesting to know the coaches and players feelings and what kind of communication took place during and after San Jose’s camp.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

It bites when someone says they are coming back only four months ago and now in late August they leave. I would think San Jose upped the money a lot. Otherwise what changed since April?

Entry level contracts are entry level contracts. But signing now does get him to his next contract a year earlier.

More likely when they talked to him in April they wanted him to sign so they wouldn't lose him and probably had him slated in the AHL...after prospect camp they probably communicated to him that he could potentially okay in the NHL this year.

Weatherby has the skills to play top 6 minutes if needed but he can also eat up responsible puck possession minutes on a !@#$ down line as well.

9 hours ago, tnt said:

I don’t equate this to Tambellini whatsoever.  Tambellini didn’t want to work for more playing time in certain situations.  I have a feeling if this was Pinto leaving this late he would get a little more slack, but I think people have the kneeling episode as another knock against Jasper even though it seemed they forgave him down the stretch of last year when he was producing better than anyone.  I’m not so sure everyone would hold fast to a decision if they were pressed by their future employer and had the pot sweetened.  It would be interesting to know the coaches and players feelings and what kind of communication took place during and after San Jose’s camp.  

It has nothing to do with the kneeling…smh 

Pinto and Weatherby are two completely different types of players/prospects 

18 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

We’ll see. NHL is a lot tougher than college puck. You leave early when you’re dominating…especially overagers 

Of course, but Jasper absolutely has the body type, skill, and size to play there. You leave early when the offer is right. I think he just took what he could.

18 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Honestly though how likely is that to happen. People say that all time when college players leave early for the pros. 

Very unlikely. But when making a decision like this, you should absolutely consider all the options.

8 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Perhaps prospect camp revealed he was more advanced/developed than he thought he was.  

Either way, sucks for us fans but Sioux hockey is only entertainment for us.  This is Weatherby's career.  Like Gino used to say - nobody has a right to stand in front of a man's right to make a living.  

Good luck to him!  

My feelings exactly 

12 hours ago, ksixpack said:

Set for life?  He most likely will be making 75K in the AHL this year…hardly set for life.  

He absolutely has a chance to make the Sharks out of camp, without a doubt, and could make $900K. Set for life, likely not, but still pretty darn good.

Well that’s a bummer. I think Jasper was set to have a great year. Guess we will never know. Good luck to him, tough to lose a player this late in the game but we have to trust in our systems, next man up. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

You sure? What happens if they kid blows his knee out? 

Who are we to say what he should or shouldn't do, honestly?

So if he had decided to bolt right before the Manitoba game, that would have been alright with you as well? :silly:

Leaving your college team in a lurch right before the season is just bush-league.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So if he had decided to bolt right before the Manitoba game, that would have been alright with you as well? :silly:

Leaving your college team in a lurch right before the season is just bush-league.

There's two very clear distinctions people are missing over and over... 1) Being "alright" with it is frankly irrelevant. He did what he did for himself and I will not blame a kid for that. If you want to, that's fine, but save your mental health lol. He came to UND to try and make the NHL. Simple as that. 2) It sucks and it likely caused him A LOT of heartache.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

There's two very clear distinctions people are missing it over and over... 1) Being "alright" with it is frankly irrelevant. He did what he did for himself and I will not blame a kid for that. He came to UND to try and make the NHL. Simple as that. 2) It sucks and it likely caused him A LOT of heartache.

I am a little tired of the "you can't blame a kid for doing whatever he wants, whenever he wants" thinking. Leaving your team in a lurch like this is bush-league. Period. He said he was coming back, then pulled a 180 on the coaching staff. It is not quite as bad as leaving before Christmas, but it is a close second.

Whether or not he makes it at the next level is always a big question mark unless your last name is Toews or Parise. I don't wish bad things on him and I don't care about the kneeling stuff. I just like it when people keep their word and don't like it when they pull stuff like this.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I am a little tired of the "you can't blame a kid for doing whatever he wants, whenever he wants" thinking. Leaving your team in a lurch like this is bush-league. Period. He said he was coming back, then pulled a 180 on the coaching staff. It is not quite as bad as leaving before Christmas, but it is a close second.

Whether or not he makes it at the next level is always a big question mark unless your last name is Toews or Parise. I don't wish bad things on him and I don't care about the kneeling stuff. I just like it when people keep their word and don't like it when they pull stuff like this.

Fair enough. Totally get what you're saying and it's definitely not my favorite, either. I just can understand what that kind of decision would be like both positively and negatively. Tough choice. He made his. You can have sour grapes, but doesn't change anything. 

32 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It's almost like there was a change in the information he based his decision off of. That isn't "doing whatever he wants, whenever he wants." 
You think maybe San Jose watched him in camp over the last week and decided to make a much more aggressive offer? If that same offer was made this spring, he would have taken it at the time?
Not all that different than plenty here who have likely turned down an offer for a different job and letting your employer you aren't leaving only to get a much more significant offer and accepting it. 

While the timing is not ideal for UND and finding a replacement of equal skill-set isn't likely, making a decision 45+ days before the first game is in no way "a close second" to quitting mid-season. I would also be pretty confident that the coaching staff was in the loop as the decision was being made. 

But hey, according to some, he wasn't all that great anyway and others get to finally take out their built-up micro-aggressions from past issues and use this decision as cover for the criticism. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It's almost like there was a change in the information he based his decision off of. That isn't "doing whatever he wants, whenever he wants." 
You think maybe San Jose watched him in camp over the last week and decided to make a much more aggressive offer? If that same offer was made this spring, he would have taken it at the time?
Not all that different than plenty here who have likely turned down an offer for a different job and letting your employer you aren't leaving only to get a much more significant offer and accepting it. 

While the timing is not ideal for UND and finding a replacement of equal skill-set isn't likely, making a decision 45+ days before the first game is in no way "a close second" to quitting mid-season. I would also be pretty confident that the coaching staff was in the loop as the decision was being made. 

But hey, according to some, he wasn't all that great anyway and others get to finally take out their built-up micro-aggressions from past issues and use this decision as cover for the criticism. 

I don't care when the prospect camps are held. If he wasn't sure if he wanted to come back or not, he didn't have to make a public statement when he did. He could have waited until the prospect camps were done. At least the coaches would have known he wasn't 100% for-sure returning. And aren't these entry-level contracts capped at a certain number? Someone will have to enlighten me on that.