SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hockey team anthem kneeling

gfhockey

14 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is way over the line. A lot of hockey players have working-class backgrounds and their parents sacrificed a lot of things so they could play hockey. Are some of them spoiled? Probably. Are all or even most of them? I don't believe so. Our program has had athletes of good character as long as I have followed it.

Hahaha.  Nothing I said was over any line.  You may not like what I said, but calling a bunch of hockey players on scholarships that have every advantage in the world given to them right now as spoiled is not an insult.  Even they would agree that they are in a much more fortunate position than most.  I suppose you are right that some of them have had a harder time than others, but as of right now on the campus of North Dakota these young men have all the advantages in the world.  I mean if you ignore the drunken escapades or failed recruits we had to distance ourselves from then yes they are all angels.  I think we can all agree that the character on our team and in the past probably is similar to those of other teams.  No better no worse.  Go Sioux!  I mean Go Fighting Hawks!

I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about these players, because like I said I think they are a bit naive and believe they are doing what's right.  I haven't actually read the whole article, but it would be nice to know if questions were asked of these players or was it just an agenda driven article.  For one, I would like to know if JBD would be taking a knee if the Canadian National Anthem was played as well.  Also just a bit curious if these players had an issue with the former nickname of the school, and if so, why they chose to come here.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, snooty89 said:

Hahaha.  Nothing I said was over any line.  You may not like what I said, but calling a bunch of hockey players on scholarships that have every advantage in the world given to them right now as spoiled is not an insult.  Even they would agree that they are in a much more fortunate position than most.  I suppose you are right that some of them have had a harder time than others, but as of right now on the campus of North Dakota these young men have all the advantages in the world.  I mean if you ignore the drunken escapades or failed recruits we had to distance ourselves from then yes they are all angels.  I think we can all agree that the character on our team and in the past probably is similar to those of other teams.  No better no worse.  Go Sioux!  I mean Go Fighting Hawks!

This is my point; we don't want bad apples on our team. And I think we do the best we can to keep them off, like the recruit who enjoyed bullying a special needs kid.

Also, they have every advantage in the world, but they have EARNED all of this. Nothing was handed to them. You made it sound like they were given everything on a silver platter. Which I do not think is the case.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

This is my point; we don't want bad apples on our team. And I think we do the best we can to keep them off, like the recruit who enjoyed bullying a special needs kid.

Umm. We recruited him and offered him a scholarship.

• Upvote 2

I have a solution.  Actions during the National Anthem should be based on production, a point system.  Specifically for 2020/2021 season:

1) Standing (FWD):  min 3 pts ES, 4 pts PPG

2) Standing (DEF): min 2 pts ES, 2 pts PPG

3) Kneeling (FWD and DEF):  min 4pts ES, 2 pts PPG, 1 Hat trick

4) Standing/Kneeling, Singing, and wearing Fighting Sioux t-shirt underneath jersey (FWD and DEF):  you're good as is, just block a shot or two, maybe a nice open ice hit

5) Standing/Kneeling, Singing, Correct Execution of the Greene Face Time to Camera Baybay, and wearing a Taz Boy t-shirt underneath jersey (FWD, DEF, Coach, Asst Coach, Ref, Media, Fan):  You win free autographed copy of my book, "Ladies:  Why They Love Me So"

All good!  Go Sioux and let's get back to business!!

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Umm. And we pulled said scholarship.

Our coaches and staff knew about everything and were clearly fine with it.  They only pulled the scholarship because they have no backbone and caved at the first sign of a backlash from the loud minority.  Not condoning what he did, but man I wouldn't count on the people in charge to pick me up in the freezing cold if they told me they would.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airmail said:

We've seen this over and over again. If they say anything to oppose the protest they'll be "racist". So - they'll say nothing.

Which is the safe environment that we are trying to establish at UND.

• Upvote 1

Didn't read a single post in this thread.  I disagree with kneeling, but guess what?!  If you don't like it, complaining about it isn't going to change how the players who kneel feel, and freaking out about it only puts a larger spotlight on them.  If everyone who hates the kneeling would just ignore it, it wouldn't have become a thing!  Focus on yourself!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Here's another log on the fire courtesy of the Star Tribune's Michael Rand...doesn't miss a chance to get a shot in at UND for a certain former nickname either.

https://www.startribune.com/north-dakota-hockey-players-plan-to-kneel-during-anthem/573262031/

When you report on the happenings of Sioux hockey in Minneapolis more than your own local team there is a hint of infatuation involved.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Knox just had some state legislature on and he said ndsu got in some trouble over the football team and they went to funding and the state put them thru the ringer

ugh this is not good

Their issue was that NDSU produced a video that they showed prior to the game. More or less used state resources to produce media with a (possible) political message/agenda.

9 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Knox just had some state legislature on and he said ndsu got in some trouble over the football team and they went to funding and the state put them thru the ringer

ugh this is not good

Not sure who was being interviewed, but at this point state funding for ndsu hasn't been impacted even $1 by "the kneeling."

1 hour ago, tnt said:

For one, I would like to know if JBD would be taking a knee if the Canadian National Anthem was played as well.  

This. 

Although we all know that racism doesn't exist in Canada (cough cough), I doubt he would do this before a WJC game being hosted in Canada. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is way over the line. A lot of hockey players have working-class backgrounds and their parents sacrificed a lot of things so they could play hockey. Are some of them spoiled? Probably. Are all or even most of them? I don't believe so. Our program has had athletes of good character as long as I have followed it.

I'm not saying that UND doesn't have mostly high character kids (now that Miller is gone)....but don't think for a second that there are many kids from blue collar families suiting up for the team today.  That is just naive.  Even at the lower levels hockey is now a sport that poor kids can't touch.  To hit the elite levels and play in all of the extra camps and leagues that every UND player played in, you don't have alot that came from families where both parents were slugging away for $30-40k a year.  

15 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

This. 

Although we all know that racism doesn't exist in Canada (cough cough), I doubt he would do this before a WJC game being hosted in Canada. 

I'm thinking he should get down on both knees, fold his hands, & thank God he is in a country that allows him the freedom to express himself in such a way.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Not sure who was being interviewed, but at this point state funding for ndsu hasn't been impacted even $1 by "the kneeling."

GF area legislator was on the line - sorry can't remember the name. Legislators are in Bismarck for orientation/ organization session. Apparently lots of "chatter in the hallways" on the topic (as well as the similar 'SU incident). One comment heard by the caller was that higher ed is already over-funded. He implied that this incident could possibly initiate talks regarding future funding.  

Obviously, no decisions, just chatter. But serious chatter by people that actually hold some cards.