SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hockey team anthem kneeling

gfhockey

2 minutes ago, petey23 said:

The Law of Unintended Consequences.

I have heard that the NDSU "kneel down" went over like a fart in church with a few corporate sponsors in Fargo as in "2020 has been a tough year, talk to me next year"

My wife is related to a head honcho of the teammakers (I believe that is what they are called).  

Lots and lots of angry phone calls.  And yes, pulled funding. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Wilbur said:

My wife is related to a head honcho of the teammakers (I believe that is what they are called).  

Know your audience. Obviously lost on some.

3 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

NorthDakota_UND2_large.jpg.a2032b01d55bd67afc9d0d00af34fd8e.jpg

Imagine if you could draw a thought bubble to each of the 11,000+ people in this photo at this precise moment and literally read every mind.  If you're expecting 11,000+ examples of "God and Country and nothing else," you're going to be disappointed.

If you think 2000+ would approve and/or applaud the kneeling you're going to be disappointed.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I can't even get two pages in this thread without gagging at the hypocrisy, so my expectations are somewhat tempered.  :)

I know right.......<cough> Mitchell Miller <cough>

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

NorthDakota_UND2_large.jpg.a2032b01d55bd67afc9d0d00af34fd8e.jpg

Imagine if you could draw a thought bubble to each of the 11,000+ people in this photo at this precise moment and literally read every mind.  If you're expecting 11,000+ examples of "God and Country and nothing else," you're going to be disappointed.

Imagine after this picture was taken, years down the road, people would believe that kneeling during the anthem would instill change and actually make a difference. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Imagine after this picture was taken, years down the road, people would believe that kneeling during the anthem would instill change and actually make a difference. 

And?  What's so terrible about letting the significance and importance of speech and expression be up to the individual engaging in it, and not everyone else?  It's one of the quintessential notions of the American ideal.

Many of the people we now celebrate were chastised by the masses.

• Downvote 1

Racism will never leave this country unfortunately. I understand what these 2 players are trying to get across but really wish they would find another way of doing it. Pretty sure everyone is aware of the amount of racism in this country. It’s sad for sure but like I said it’s here to stay. Not sure if it’s worse than in the past but with social media it sure seems to be. With that said drop that puck already 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I have pretty much grown indifferent to flag protests. For the most part I look at them as empty virtue signaling or someone craving more attention than they get as being a part of a team...just my opinion.

I think these guys have not looked more than a day down the road.

Which in UND's case could push the first domino.

You receive a scholarship and play  a revenue producing sport and have everything you need to be successful and advance your hopeful pro career while also receiving an education. This sport also attracts donations from alumni and corporate sponsors which help you to have everything you could want and more(we, our fans and hockey team are spoiled and I am ok with that!). The sport you play is also leaned on to help fund the non revenue sports on campus which afford playing opportunities and scholarships to their fellow student athletes. If/when the money starts to dry up it won't be hockey that gets cut but the non revenue sports will feel the pain first and could also lead to sports going away and the opportunities for your fellow student athletes being cut.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Kneeling has caused more divide and made people more upset. It’s a weak tactic. Change and use a different method imo humble/respectful opinion. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

The only thing that bothers me, is although it's clearly not their intent to show disrespect, that you couldn't see at least how people could be offended. Does it offend me, no, but I can see how it could. It just seems completely counter productive and in that sense, really short sided and frustrating. Has to be better ways or things you could do that would offend less. 

12 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Racism will never leave this country unfortunately. I understand what these 2 players are trying to get across but really wish they would find another way of doing it. Pretty sure everyone is aware of the amount of racism in this country. It’s sad for sure but like I said it’s here to stay. Not sure if it’s worse than in the past but with social media it sure seems to be. With that said drop that puck already 

This would be comical if it weren't so pathetic.

Three posts in less than 12 hours complaining about the manner of expression but offering literally NOTHING in the way of suggestions.  What types of constructive and non-offensive acts would you have these young men do?

If you're going to tell people to change and not do X, at least have the common courtesy to offer something up.  Especially when X is not harming you, other than offending your own personal and moral (i.e., not legal) sense of "right and wrong."

• Downvote 2

12 hours ago, Big Green said:

These 2 players are going to cost the university a bunch of money.  A lot of donors with not put up with this and will pull their donations.  

In my book the players do this on the own time.  If UND doesn't  correct this I'm done with UND and will ask for a refund on CC and season tickets for football.  Done for ever.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This would be comical if it weren't so pathetic.

Three posts in less than 12 hours complaining about the manner of expression but offering literally NOTHING in the way of suggestions.  What types of constructive and non-offensive acts would you have these young men do?

If you're going to tell people to change and not do X, at least have the common courtesy to offer something up.  Especially when X is not harming you, other than offending your own personal and moral (i.e., not legal) sense of "right and wrong."

BS. I need to offer nothing to these protesters. It's not up to me to find a way for them to express their ideology without having them crap on well established traditions regarding the national anthem.

That's on them, and so is this entire kerfuffle.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

In my book the players do this on the own time.  If UND doesn't  correct this I'm done with UND and will ask for a refund on CC and season tickets for football.  Done for ever.

Why punish the football team?

The world is full of information, messages, and stimuli - conflicting values - some of which are unpleasant, and most of which are completely sub-conscious or conveniently ignored.

Look around you.  Shirts, brands, imported cars, bumper stickers, billboards, political signs left in a yard long past an election, certain businesses (Chick-fil-A and Hobby Lobby come to mind)...you can't walk in a store or drive down a street without being bombarded with potentially controversial information. Some is self-defined, some requires context, some requires you to have had past experiences.

If you think that you can sit in close confines with thousands of people for a couple of hours and be entirely free of "political statements," you're delusional.

Tips for the offended

1. Ignore the behavior.  Look away.  Focus on the flag.  Close your eyes.
  2. Find a reason not to be in your seat.
  3. Don't donate.
  4. Don't go.
  5. Don't patronize (or give repeat business to) sponsors or companies who espouse values contrary to your own, or who hire people that do.

If you do nothing else, you might want to take a moment and contemplate whether there is something greater at stake here, or whether the people engaged in the offensive conduct might have a different viewpoint, and figure out the true source of your 'offense.'

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1