SiouxSports.com Forum

UND hockey team anthem kneeling

gfhockey

52 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

He must be buttering up his social justice archives in preparation for a job at the NYT. Guy has gone full send on 2020. Surprising considering the GFH is already hanging on by a thread. Why alienate half your readers?! Bad business sense apparently  

I like when he writes about hockey.  

• Upvote 2

As it was mentioned earlier in this thread season ticket holders received an email yesterday about limited seating for UND athletics. You have until 12/5 to "Stay in the game" which means you are willing to stay in the running for limited tickets based on your Priority Point Rank. That's option 1. Options 2-5 are declining option 1 but having UND keep your dollars they currently  have as a donation and/or towards '21-'22 tickets. Option 6 is saying F this and getting a full refund. After Schloss "broke" the "woke" story about the kneelers I had 3 buddies that texted me that they are going to "pass go" straight to option 6 as of today. I'll "stay in the game".......capitalism won't be completely dead in this country  before hockey season ends.

8 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

He must be buttering up his social justice archives in preparation for a job at the NYT. Guy has gone full send on 2020. Surprising considering the GFH is already hanging on by a thread. Why alienate half your readers?! Bad business sense apparently  

Oh, you mean the guy that covered up the Mitchell Miller story and the Covid outbreak on the team?   Would have thought that with all his blogging about responsibility during the Pandemic that he would at least let his readers know about it.  When you are writing about the POD and the ramifications of positive tests in Omaha, wouldn't it be of interest if a certain percentage of the team already had Covid?  

• Upvote 3

The only thing that bothers me, is although it's clearly not their intent to show disrespect, that you couldn't see at least how people could be offended. Does it offend me, no, but I can see how it could. It just seems completely counter productive and in that sense, really short sided and frustrating. Has to be better ways or things you could do that would offend less. 

• Upvote 3

I'm a big fan of consistency.  If social justice was so important to them I do wonder where their public protests were when Mitchell Miller along with his racist antics past was on campus practicing shoulder to shoulder with them.  But like many things I suppose that has been rationalized to be different somehow. 

As to JBD, he's not even a US citizen so kneeling for the US anthem doesn't really put him out on a limb.  Similar to what Matt Dumba did at the start of the NHL pod, a Canadian player takes a knee for the US anthem, but I don't recall seeing him do it during a Canadian national anthem.  I guess coming from a country with a leader that has been seen in full black face isn't a problem.  

And for the moderators that are probably starting to get twitchy fingers, 2 players changed the trajectory of this thread as did Schlossman, it wasn't any one person on this thread.  If Schlossman is reading this STICK TO HOCKEY!  That's the only reason people follow you.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

As to JBD, he's not even a US citizen so kneeling for the US anthem doesn't really put him out on a limb.  Similar to what Matt Dumba did at the start of the NHL pod, a Canadian player takes a knee for the US anthem, but I don't recall seeing him do it during a Canadian national anthem.  I guess coming from a country with a leader that has been seen in full black face isn't a problem.  

And for the moderators that are probably starting to get twitchy fingers, 2 players changed the trajectory of this thread as did Schlossman, it wasn't any one person on this thread.  If Schlossman is reading this STICK TO HOCKEY!  That's the only reason people follow you.  

You are what you despise the most.  

A Snowflake.

Carry on. 

• Downvote 6

59 minutes ago, AJS said:

The only thing that bothers me, is although it's clearly not their intent to show disrespect, that you couldn't see at least how people could be offended. Does it offend me, no, but I can see how it could. It just seems completely counter productive and in that sense, really short sided and frustrating. Has to be better ways or things you could do that would offend less. 

What is so ridiculous about this mindset is that EVERYBODY complains - whether it's rioting or kneeling - and NOBODY has ever put forth what might be an acceptable form of protest or expression.  And it seems a lot of people want to completely ignore the chorus of countless combat veterans who readily admit that they fought for the very right and freedom which you now propose to restrict.

If everyone gets a say on what is 'acceptable,' then nothing will be acceptable.  All people ever hear is what they're not supposed to do.  How about we brainstorm solutions rather than passing off the problem?

How about this...if no one is physically injured, if no third-party property is harmed, if no crime is committed, if no one can legitimately prove liability under any cognizable legal theory, and if no tax dollars are expended, then go for it.  Everyone goes in, eyes wide open.  Athletes understand it can have consequences (see C. Kaepernick).  Let them choose whether to kneel.  Or bow their heads.  Or raise an arm.  Or clench a fist.  Or roll their eyes.  Or sway back and forth.  Or stand rigidly.  Or sing mightily.  Or mess up the lyrics.  Or check out the cute blonde in section 105.  Or fart.  Or burp.  Or do jumping jacks.

In other words...it's the Constitution, stupid!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

All this outrage over anthem kneeling is another example of political correctness running amok.  
As long as they’re not hurting anybody, or infringing on others’ rights, who cares if someone kneels during the anthem.  It’s not like doing as such is giving you people cancer.  
Deal with it.  Or learn something from it.  

Anyhow, according to the article, the rest of the team will be locking arms during the anthem in support of the kneeling players and racial justice.  That’s great to hear.  Great for team unity.  

key phrase

Brad, you’ve been in the forum before. You’ll read this, stick to hockey. You’re alienating your subscribers or content readers for UND hockey. You’re working for an employer that is dying. Is your social justice views and pieces more important than your income/viewers? If it is, that’s your prerogative. 

If that’s this case, Fargo forum, and GF Herald will not get any subscription money from me or my extended family. I can live without UND hockey stories. There’s college hockey news, and other bloggers/websites that will still write some UND content. 

• Upvote 1

I think the biggest issue that the "offended" crowd has is the way it is being pushed through every avenue.  You expect to see it on TV news/opinion shows, you expect to see it on the internet on various news and commentary sites, you expect to hear it in coffee shops or even on a college campus.  People get overloaded and just want that 2-3 hour break from it at a sporting event, at the movies, at a concert, or on a couple of TV shows.  Apparently now even at a niche sporting event like college hockey that is no longer possible.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

As it was mentioned earlier in this thread season ticket holders received an email yesterday about limited seating for UND athletics. You have until 12/5 to "Stay in the game" which means you are willing to stay in the running for limited tickets based on your Priority Point Rank. That's option 1. Options 2-5 are declining option 1 but having UND keep your dollars they currently  have as a donation and/or towards '21-'22 tickets. Option 6 is saying F this and getting a full refund. After Schloss "broke" the "woke" story about the kneelers I had 3 buddies that texted me that they are going to "pass go" straight to option 6 as of today. I'll "stay in the game".......capitalism won't be completely dead in this country  before hockey season ends.

The Law of Unintended Consequences.

I have heard that the NDSU "kneel down" went over like a fart in church with a few corporate sponsors in Fargo as in "2020 has been a tough year, talk to me next year"

2 minutes ago, petey23 said:

The Law of Unintended Consequences.

I have heard that the NDSU "kneel down" went over like a fart in church with a few corporate sponsors in Fargo as in "2020 has been a tough year, talk to me next year"

That's an understatement. The dollars pulled from NDSU Team Makers was substantial. 

• Upvote 1