SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 non UND FCS thread

UNDBIZ

Speaking of McFeely, I'm going back and listening to some of Dom Izzo's radio shows this week. Fully realizing that this Spring NDSU team is different than Fall 2020, but he just said that the Fall 2021 NDSU team is going to be "loaded". Is this strictly based on Injuries / Transfer Portal? I've gotten this sense from some (Izzo / McFeely are two) that basically what's happening in the Spring is going to have zero correlation to this Fall. I don't understand that at all. Can someone break that down for me? Generally speaking, what sweeping changes are going to take place in the next 5 months for teams?

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

Speaking of McFeely, I'm going back and listening to some of Dom Izzo's radio shows this week. Fully realizing that this Spring NDSU team is different than Fall 2020, but he just said that the Fall 2021 NDSU team is going to be "loaded". Is this strictly based on Injuries / Transfer Portal? I've gotten this sense from some (Izzo / McFeely are two) that basically what's happening in the Spring is going to have zero correlation to this Fall. I don't understand that at all. Can someone break that down for me? Generally speaking, what sweeping changes are going to take place in the next 5 months for teams?

Nothing, they are just losing their minds that ndsu lost two games this season.  

26 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

What's the over/under of teams scheduled to play tomorrow that get sent packing due to Covid protocol?

I've been using the "hockey benchmark":

- hockey lost one pre-tourney (SLU)
- hockey lost two (Notre Dame, UMich) in the round of 16
- hockey lost four players (UMass) in the semis

FCS is behind pace as they lost no one pre-tourney. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

A transfer QB from Virginia Tech that's appears to be a great athlete but have questionable accuracy and a transfer RB from SMU that was buried on the depth chart there. Both had pretty impressive resumes coming out of high school.

Still not sure how that's going to fix all of their problems magically though. RB hasn't been an issue since Luepke came back. Adding a scrambling threat to the passing game will be something they have been missing but in the past, their QB's have also had talented arms and been able to keep the defense honest.

2 hours ago, AJS said:

They should probably be better. 

I will not assume they will be great at QB but they should be in a better spot there. 

We'll see what happens with the other positions and transfers and what not.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

A transfer QB from Virginia Tech that's appears to be a great athlete but have questionable accuracy and a transfer RB from SMU that was buried on the depth chart there. Both had pretty impressive resumes coming out of high school.

Still not sure how that's going to fix all of their problems magically though. RB hasn't been an issue since Luepke came back. Adding a scrambling threat to the passing game will be something they have been missing but in the past, their QB's have also had talented arms and been able to keep the defense honest.

The bar for NDSU quarterbacks has been set.  And it's pretty high.  If they don't lead the team to a National Championship or get drafted in the first round of the NFL, they are busts.  Harsh, but it is the expectations Bison fans have become accustomed to this past decade.  So naturally they think any recruit or transfer is going to be great.  Just look at the hype Bison fans were giving Zeb before this season.  They were debating whether Zeb would come back for his "super Senior" season or declare for the NFL draft!!

Bison will be good.  Will they be great and make another run to Frisco?  That is to be determined.  And, not necessarily a sure thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't understand how Delaware comes in at #4.  SDSU demolished them.  We ended the year #6, huge step in the right direction.  We should start out in the Top 10 this fall, and as we know it actually is important where you start out. A lot easier to get a seed if you start out in the top 10. 

https://theanalyst.com/na/2021/05/sam-houston-unanimous-no-1-in-final-stats-perform-fcs-top-25/?fbclid=IwAR0CRvr65t8XvoBdj9sHmS-cDFH23WAtGN85Bp3hGWa4d6hlZGPNocq78YY

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1