SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 non UND FCS thread

UNDBIZ

11 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

When the current contract expires. All the talk recently was about modifying the current contract before it expires. Which was always ridiculous because modifying a current contract requires unanimous agreement of all parties. No way that was going to happen. But creating a new contract is about balance of power and it looks like the power brokers want a playoff expansion. They'll just have to wait until after 2025. 

And what about that guarantees a G5 team a spot at the table?
The P5 can point to Cincy this year and say "if they are worthy, they can get it on their own merit".
I'm not saying it is out of the realm of possibilities, just pointing out there is zero guarantees. The P5 isn't going to share any more than they have to.

And you might want to mention to some media in Fargo how "ridiculous" it was. They hammered home pretty hard that a deal was going to be made, reality be damned. Many a rants were based on that line of thinking.

10 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Can they play that style of football every week in the FBS and be successful? Honest question I don’t know of any past FBS teams that play like the Bison…..

That wasn't the question I answered...it was "how will they be next year?"

As to your question...As far as FBS goes...I have a feeling that so long as they maintain their speed/strength advantage over an opponent...they'll be fine.  To me they look a lot like Michigan (albeit Michigan is a higher level team).  Michigan was pretty dang good this year...until they ran into Georgia!  If the talent level is equal or better...NDSU will win most of their games (given 22 more scholarships).

Pretty generic answer...I know.  But football boils down to talent and athleticism.  NDSU generally has more of it than the opponents they line up against due to superior recruiting and player development.

49 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

And what about that guarantees a G5 team a spot at the table?
The P5 can point to Cincy this year and say "if they are worthy, they can get it on their own merit".
I'm not saying it is out of the realm of possibilities, just pointing out there is zero guarantees. The P5 isn't going to share any more than they have to.

And you might want to mention to some media in Fargo how "ridiculous" it was. They hammered home pretty hard that a deal was going to be made, reality be damned. Many a rants were based on that line of thinking.

I see Cincy is preseason about 11 or 12 for next year.  They still have to play the games.  I don’t see too many g5 teams making a 12 team playoff.

the bison love Corso, ask him what he thinks of g5 teams, they won’t like the answer 

2 hours ago, Kab said:

I see Cincy is preseason about 11 or 12 for next year.  They still have to play the games.  I don’t see too many g5 teams making a 12 team playoff.

the bison love Corso, ask him what he thinks of g5 teams, they won’t like the answer 

Several 12-team proposals have an auto-bid going to the top ranked G5, which is an idea that I like.   

7 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Several 12-team proposals have an auto-bid going to the top ranked G5, which is an idea that I like.   

Some years that team would be ranked around 18th. I won’t hold my breath on G5 getting thrown a bone like that. So would the top team from each P5 get an autobid in this scenario? 

15 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Until there is RPI for football sections are at the discretion of a committee, unless auto bids like basketball 

14 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Some years that team would be ranked around 18th. I won’t hold my breath on G5 getting thrown a bone like that. So would the top team from each P5 get an autobid in this scenario? 

In a 12-team format there's no question all P5 champions would receive autobids.   

16 team playoff

automatic bid from from the champions of Pac-12, Big 12, Big 10, SEC, ACC (5)

MWC champion ( expands to 16 teams/8 schools in 2 divisions) plays Sun Belt champion (expands to 16 teams/8 schools in 2 divisions)  for 1 auto bid

AAC champion (expands by merging with C-USA to 16 schools/8 in two divisions) plays MAC champion (expands to 16 teams/8 schools  in 2 divisions)  for 1 auto bid

9 at large bids....

1st and 2nd rounds highest seeds host on campus

semi's and final neutral and somewhere warm!

done

15 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

16 team playoff

automatic bid from from the champions of Pac-12, Big 12, Big 10, SEC, ACC (5)

MWC champion ( expands to 16 teams/8 schools in 2 divisions) plays Sun Belt champion (expands to 16 teams/8 schools in 2 divisions)  for 1 auto bid

AAC champion (expands by merging with C-USA to 16 schools/8 in two divisions) plays MAC champion (expands to 16 teams/8 schools  in 2 divisions)  for 1 auto bid

9 at large bids....

1st and 2nd rounds highest seeds host on campus

semi's and final neutral and somewhere warm!

done

This would be a blast.  As a practical matter, I don't think the college prezs will allow for a 17-game season, which you'd be looking at with the G5's.  Realistically do they get deep enough to go 17, probably not.  That brings up 16 games for the majors, and that's assuming they drop the conference championship games.  That probably won't fly either.   I could be wrong, will be interesting to see what unfolds.  Expansion is inevitable, too much money out there.    

• Like 1

i have a whole google sheets powerpoint built for this idea....

every year on the same day all 16 MWC conference members play their sister conference Sun Belt teams and the winner of the most games hosts that super conference championship game on campus with the winner going to the 16 team playoffs

same thing for the AAC and their sister conference the MAC

plus ....the 8 northern MWC schools play the 8 southern schools on the same day and whatever division has the most wins host the MWC championship on campus too.....

same with AAC / MAC

so under this plan about 12 fcs teams would finally move up and  fill out the MWC, AAC, MAC, and sun belt....

so essentially Alabama would play the best team of 32 schools of the MWC and Sun Belt (lookin' at you NDAC)....here's the game Izzo wants...primetime...on ESPN...in Tuscaloosa.

and Georgia (seed 2) would get the best team from the AAC and the MAC.....Akron Zips anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

38 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so under this plan about 12 fcs teams would finally move up and  fill out the MWC, AAC, MAC, and sun belt....

so essentially Alabama would play the best team of 32 schools of the MWC and Sun Belt (lookin' at you NDAC)....here's the game Izzo wants...primetime...on ESPN...in Tuscaloosa.

and Georgia (seed 2) would get the best team from the AAC and the MAC.....Akron Zips anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

P5 won’t go for this

too many schools

On 1/18/2022 at 10:12 AM, zonadub said:

The cries of “we want ‘Bama” and “no FBS schools will play us in the preseason” should come together. Why hasn’t NDSU scheduled Alabama for a preseason game? I doubt Saban would say no.

How about Georgia or even LSU?

NDSU actually did try to schedule Alabama.  Alabama said no.  I am not sure why, since they play Mercer often.  They would destroy NDSU, but you cant say NDSU didnt try to schedule them.

23 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Not to change gears from this enthralling discussion… but I have a question. In my opinion this was NDSUs second worst title team in the FCS era. Thinking about their roster next year I don’t see a great RB stable and I don’t see proven dynamic wrs. Add to that, we know the qbs aren’t good. I’m wondering what you see for the team next year. I think they need some unknown guys to really step up. Kinda have to assume they will given recent history.

Stats would prove you wrong though.

5 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

NDSU actually did try to schedule Alabama.  Alabama said no.  I am not sure why, since they play Mercer often.  They would destroy NDSU, but you cant say NDSU didnt try to schedule them.

"come at me bro".......(while one 170lbs friend holds you back with one hand)

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

"Try". Sure.
Alabama (and a lot of the other SEC teams) play their FCS games the second to last week of the FBS regular season, which is the last week of the FCS regular season.
Even if NDSU could re-arrange their schedule to play a non-conference game the last week of the season, you really think that they are going to "Bring on 'Bama" right before the playoffs?
Maybe NDSU asked if Alabama would be interested in scheduling them in one of the first couple weeks of the year. Or maybe they offered to play them in Fargo. Either way, you wouldn't be able to say they didn't try to schedule them.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

"Try". Sure.
Alabama (and a lot of the other SEC teams) play their FCS games the second to last week of the FBS regular season, which is the last week of the FCS regular season.
Even if NDSU could re-arrange their schedule to play a non-conference game the last week of the season, you really think that they are going to "Bring on 'Bama" right before the playoffs?
Maybe NDSU asked if Alabama would be interested in scheduling them in one of the first couple weeks of the year. Or maybe they offered to play them in Fargo. Either way, you wouldn't be able to say they didn't try to schedule them.

That’s funny

23 hours ago, SlowHand said:

23 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

"come at me bro".......(while one 170lbs friend holds you back with one hand)

We need the Up Arrow, Down Arrow, scratch the Love symbol, add a LMAO symbol.   Thoughts??

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 2:12 PM, SlowHand said:

A simple voicemail from Larsen to Greg Byrne would lend truth to this, technically.   

• 2 months later...