Rate Bubbas UND Tenure  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Bubbas Grade

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Geaux_sioux’s list is spot on. Unfortunately,  the same glaring issues have existed after every year for the past 6 years. Just keep recycling this list. I’d add lack of talent, depth & recruiting of the QB position to that list as well. Studsrud was a great young man, good leader & cerebral “game manager” type but he didn’t wow anyone with his athleticism or arm. Sure would be nice to have a game changer at QB.

New season = same problems 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hawks_Fan_24 said:

I wouldn't call rolling on the foam roller stretching, but that's just me.

Honestly visually they looked slow and this is right before spring ball when guys have been lifting and doing "speed" training. The times were slow as well (if I'm not mistaken I think hand and a system were taken).

Unfortunately his methods are out of date. Especially his lack of position specific training. A linemen does not need the same attributes as a wide receiver and vice versa. It seems you are a big supporter of his. I know players and coaches across the country and this just isn't it. The players I've seen develop across the country are similar to ours, but have a great strength training program that is up to date and position specific. That is why they are faster, more explosive, and agile than us. We aren't playing D2 football (where Baukol's methods were successful... we are playing D1 now). 

However, I completely agree that players diets are absolute garbage. I've seen this and the dining halls are where the concern lays. Should have a food hall for athletes only to monitor diets for all sports programs (this is what the big programs have).

I have a former teammate at UND that played a little in the CFL and is pretty plugged in with training methods.  He brought up the lack of position specific training with Baukol a few years ago at an alumni event.  Baukol told him that there was no need for that and that basic training was good for all players. 

1 minute ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I have a former teammate at UND that played a little in the CFL and is pretty plugged in with training methods.  He brought up the lack of position specific training with Baukol a few years ago at an alumni event.  Baukol told him that there was no need for that and that basic training was good for all players. 

Agree that core is good for all but surprised that position specific training isn’t being done.

30 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

did baukol play college football and then pro?  

I think it can be agreed upon that the S&C staff needs to be evaluated, not just for football either. I recall quite a few years of the men's basketball team seeing almost no gains in the 4 years players were on the team. The only team that I see really competing in the strength/speed category has been hockey which has it's own separate S&C program. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Irish said:

I agree that it was not the time or place to publicly bash Bubba or the program from the AD's office - especially after a play-off appearance.  I think the bigger issue for fans is that Bubba is almost pathologically afraid of change and we look to Chaves for that and are not sure if his post means he is happy with the program as is.  This fan board is often used to vent and put forth personal viewpoints, but overall I there is a collective wisdom in the "hive think".  Just like almost every fan could see the weakness in Rudy (but not Bubba) this board collectively has correctly identified many weaknesses that need to be fixed if we want to be relevant again.  Geau Sioux had a great post on these weaknesses.  If Chaves is not the driving factor for change I don't see much being done.  Many of these issues are long standing and seemed to be ingrained in "Bubba Ball".  We desperately need Chaves to right the ship even if Bubba is locked in for a couple more years.  We are in danger of becoming the permanent weak sister to the knuckleheads down south and are about to enter a very physical conference.  Recognizing our weaknesses and working to correct them would be a big step in the right direction (and for crap's sake let's end this light linemen experiment).  

I hear what you are saying and what others are saying. I wouldn’t read anything into Chaves tweet one way or another. I spent over an hour with him. He seems to have a clear understanding of what our program and what our athletic department need. He also has a clear understanding of the importance of the selection of the next president and whether they will place a priority on intercollegiate athletics. He had made strides with Josh Wynne. Brad Berry has been supportive. Chaves knows we can’t move on with a divided house. It will takes everyone of us and more to get all of our programs where they need to be. For hockey and football that means competing for National Championships. For our other sports it’s making the playoffs and hopefully having some success. It means we put the name/logo issue to rest. It means we stop the hockey vs FB issue. It means those of us who can give an extra $100 or an extra $1000-$10,000 per year or a $100,000 or $1,000,000 gift or more. We spin our wheels with the logo issue and it hurts our University and our athletics including hockey. Until everyone, who is able, steps up with whatever resources we have at our disposal, we are not going to move at the pace I think we all expect from UND. As we improve our resources, you will be able to see that when changes are needed,  they can be done quickly and with the financial ability to hire quality replacements. 

Now is the time to find out who belongs on the bus  Nick Saban spoke about how mediocre performers resent high performers and vice versa.  He talks about spring ball /beginning of the season is the time to learn how to get everyone “on the bus”  and then figure out which ones don’t “belong on the bus”.  Do we belong on the fan/support bus?  

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

For those who think running the FB is not really relevant or needed much in an offensive game plan.........Bob Stitt just became available.

#chuchthepigskin

So is Charlie Strong!

I didn’t see anything on Stitt being let go - where did you find this?

EDIT:  right here

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-bob-stitt-will-not-return-at-texas-state/

18 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So is Charlie Strong!

i didn’t see anything on Stitt being let go - where did you find this?

EDIT:  right here

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-bob-stitt-will-not-return-at-texas-state/

After the way his team behaved the other night and with him not taking charge of the situation and getting his players under control I would have fired him after the game. Plus he hasnt won very much either. Either way he needed to go.

3 hours ago, bison73 said:

After the way his team behaved the other night and with him not taking charge of the situation and getting his players under control I would have fired him after the game. Plus he hasnt won very much either. Either way he needed to go.

That was a joke, bison73.  Charlie Strong couldn't coach Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College, let alone Texas or South Florida.  He should have never left Louisville. 

I would get two books for each member of the football staff and make them read both between now and January 1.

How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams. Specifically read Chapter 8 "Systems Trump Goals": I'm pretty sure NDSU has a system that gets them to their goals and they focus on their system. 

Loserthink by Scott Adams. The book is a tutorial on how to avoid mental prisons and escape the cycle of loserthink. 

• Like 3

I will read both... also Better Together about the value if social capital and Bowling Alone when there is NO social capital. Both are by Robert Putnam... a Catholic priest and professor somewhere... both are like 20 years old...

The books may help me with our no plans just react lifestyle here... I would have an annual plan for how much TP we need.  Can’t wait to read them.

Do we buy copies of your books and mail them? Jon Gordon also writes good stuff for positive attitudes for sports teams...