161 members have voted

1. 1. Bubbas Grade

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

29 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Well that was embarrassing. Where does the program currently sit?

1. Our WR group is too slow/white. It just is what it is. Our WR does not look D1. Tall slow white boys can ball but if that’s all you have it makes it really hard to get separation against even an average secondary.

2. OL too small. This position group has been a disaster under Bubba.

3. DL too small. This position has also been a huge problem under Bubba. You just can’t run a 3-4 with smallish DL. We either need to recruit DL with body types like what Weber State has or we need to change to a 4 man front. 

4.  Clock management..... that’s all I need to say about that.

5. Our RB group was neglected for 3 years and it shows. Somehow all these other teams can find dynamic big strong backs. We haven’t had one in a while, that needs to change.

6. OLB depth? Not good enough. We only went a legit 3 deep this year.

7. Safety play has been poor since Reyes left. Bubba has really struggled with safeties for a guy who used to coach secondaries.

8. Overall we lack size and athleticism. Is this SC coach’s fault or is it recruiting? Or both?

Personally I feel like Bubba has done what he’s capable of at UND. I don’t know about you but I’m not ok with barely making the playoffs and getting our !@#$ pushed in and that being considered the second best season under him. 

I think you are on the right track on most points... Especially recruiting more athletic WR's and bigger linemen. However, I think our strength training is the worst in the country. I have been in quite a few programs and talked to many players across the country. I also dealt with the current st coach. He is stuck in the 1970's and has no idea what it takes to be a top tier athlete now days. Doesn't even believe in stretching... (Hence all of our injuries). Believes you should work out while injured or thinks you are a pu***. Was one of the reasons I almost didn't go to UND because he seemed like the biggest negative when I went on the OV back in the day. Doesn't do position specific lifting either. Linemen do the same lifts as receivers... Let that sink in.

IMO, #4 and #8 on that list are the most glaring and obvious things that stand out to my untrained eyes on a game to game basis.  

Clock management has been a significant issue in many games this season, and at times in previous seasons.  It has literally cost us wins from time to time.

I've been harping on the strength program for a few years.  Anyone who watches a lot of the games either in person or on TV can attest that there are few games where we appear to be the bigger, stronger, or faster team.  This has been the case since moving to DI 12 years ago.  Sure, I agree that recruiting plays a huge part in this and can always be better as well.  But we have had the same strength coach for two different coaching staffs with similar results.

#3 is the next biggest issue in my eyes.  This defense hasn't been getting it done in recent seasons.  It's fun to watch at times when they terrorize the QB or force a turnover, and that is all great, but at the end of the day they often give up a lot of yards and a lot of points.  It isn't a new trend, but for whatever reason, the Defensive Coordinator has normally been given a pass from most on this website (who are often pretty critical of just about everyone else).  The 3-4 is possibly an outdated base defense and probably why we are one of maybe 5 teams in the country that run it.  Chicago's "46 Defense" was also awesome in the 80's but nobody runs that anymore either.

I'd like this program to be farther along that it is at this point just like everyone else.  But being a realist and considering the financial aspects, it would be pretty incredible for Chaves to make a coaching change at this point.  When you look at it from the Athletic Director's perspective he probably sees that overall the program is in better shape than it was when Bubba took over.  Not in great shape, but better shape.  It's been trending upward since the disastrous 2017 season.  Playoffs in 2 of last 4 years, and just outside the playoffs in 2 other years.  4 winning seasons vs 2 losing seasons under Bubba.  

Again, I'm not advocating one way or the other, just trying explain how I think that Bill Chaves is probably assessing the situation. 

31 minutes ago, Hawks_Fan_24 said:

I think you are on the right track on most points... Especially recruiting more athletic WR's and bigger linemen. However, I think our strength training is the worst in the country. I have been in quite a few programs and talked to many players across the country. I also dealt with the current st coach. He is stuck in the 1970's and has no idea what it takes to be a top tier athlete now days. Doesn't even believe in stretching... (Hence all of our injuries). Believes you should work out while injured or thinks you are a pu***. Was one of the reasons I almost didn't go to UND because he seemed like the biggest negative when I went on the OV back in the day. Doesn't do position specific lifting either. Linemen do the same lifts as receivers... Let that sink in.

So if Baukol doesn’t believe in stretching why does he have the football team stretch?

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

So if Baukol doesn’t believe in stretching why does he have the football team stretch?

What stretching are you talking about? The warm up before practice? I don't really call that stretching. He recently implemented new concepts before weights, but that was due to Coach Fantuzzi (great coach!). He does not believe in static stretching. This was told directly to me by him. So that would be a question for him. We could definitely use a better strength coach. He does not know how to develop fast, explosive, and durable athletes imo. He knows strong... I remember when we did our 40 times and how awful they were even by our best.

"Where does the program currently sit?"

If there's a list of potentially 8 areas that are deficient within a program that's been under the leadership of a head coach for 6 years IMO there's one thing that needs to be addressed immediately. 

Is this team ready for 2020 MVFC play?  OP's 1-8 says not.  MVFC is a very physical conference.  Hawks were out-physicaled today by a Southland Conference team. 

Maybe Bubba is not the problem.  Maybe its the SC coach and program not building up recruits to size, speed, physicality and endurance during their first year or two in the program is the primary problem.  Bubba can only put the players on the field that come through the SC program, assuming Bubba and staff recruit quality prospects.

Agree about SC and I think it's time to rethink the 3/4 D.

Bubba is here for at least 2 years. 

Change needs to come in those around him.  Freund was a nice pickup. Not his fault QB has happy feet or receivers can't make tough catches or OLine is great at pass protection, but can't open holes.

Well does anyone listen to the GOBC, fans, or the public? We seem to have wonderful recruits and then there is a disconnect... not sure where.

Last week I wanted to order 2 cases of beer and 4 pizzas and lock us 7 council members in a room to duke it out. I mean seriously let’s make some decisions and stand behind them... same with this. Determine a focus, put $$$ behind it an get ‘er done. You know people are PAID to do this...no consultants... just make decisions...

8 minutes ago, shep said:

Change needs to come in those around him.  Freund was a nice pickup. Not his fault QB has happy feet or receivers can't make tough catches or OLine is great at pass protection, but can't open holes.

One year.

52 minutes ago, Hawks_Fan_24 said:

What stretching are you talking about? The warm up before practice? I don't really call that stretching. He recently implemented new concepts before weights, but that was due to Coach Fantuzzi (great coach!). He does not believe in static stretching. This was told directly to me by him. So that would be a question for him. We could definitely use a better strength coach. He does not know how to develop fast, explosive, and durable athletes imo. He knows strong... I remember when we did our 40 times and how awful they were even by our best.

He had us do plenty of stretching. And for the 40 times are you considering the measurement tools and how they compare to the combine and hand times?

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He had us do plenty of stretching. And for the 40 times are you considering the measurement tools and how they compare to the combine and hand times?

It seems you've always been a bit of a supporter of Baukol. Do you think it's more of a diet and player effort/focus (on weights) issue? Genuinely asking. 

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Well that was embarrassing. Where does the program currently sit?

1. Our WR group is too slow/white. It just is what it is. Our WR does not look D1. Tall slow white boys can ball but if that’s all you have it makes it really hard to get separation against even an average secondary.

2. OL too small. This position group has been a disaster under Bubba.

3. DL too small. This position has also been a huge problem under Bubba. You just can’t run a 3-4 with smallish DL. We either need to recruit DL with body types like what Weber State has or we need to change to a 4 man front. 

4.  Clock management..... that’s all I need to say about that.

5. Our RB group was neglected for 3 years and it shows. Somehow all these other teams can find dynamic big strong backs. We haven’t had one in a while, that needs to change.

6. OLB depth? Not good enough. We only went a legit 3 deep this year.

7. Safety play has been poor since Reyes left. Bubba has really struggled with safeties for a guy who used to coach secondaries.

8. Overall we lack size and athleticism. Is this SC coach’s fault or is it recruiting? Or both?

Personally I feel like Bubba has done what he’s capable of at UND. I don’t know about you but I’m not ok with barely making the playoffs and getting our !@#$ pushed in and that being considered the second best season under him. 

1.  Ahhhhhh yeah.  

2. Yup.

3.  Gotta get some fatties.  Need a transfer or JUCO kid to help inside.

4.  This area is a God damn embarrassment. 

5.  Need a bell cow.  Where do you get one?

6.  A heartbeat away from disaster.

7.  Do you move Holm to safety with Fort being a starter next year?  He's intelligent, cocky, and could make a difference IMHO.  Good corner though.

8.  See SDSU, NDSU, 

My biggest concern going into next season is the line.  And boy does Tommy need the weight room.  I think the kid can play, and would run a great RPO offense with some speed at WR.

49 minutes ago, shep said:

As someone who is on the outside looking in, one thing UND lacks is athleticism and SPEED. I think it was obvious that UND was outmatched in the speed department today vs Nicholls. UND didn't have any skill position players that could separate from Nicholl's players. It appears that the WR commits this year don't address the fact that you don't have anybody that can stretch the field and at least pet a little fear of a deep pass in an opponent. The OL and DL do also need to get bigger and more physical also. I think you will see next week when Nicholls comes to Fargo that NDSU will not have a speed disadvantage. NDSU recruits the South(Florida and Georgia specifically) for Skill positions (RB's, WR's and DB's). Maybe Bubba's staff needs to look at that. After seeing Chave's tweet tonight, it looks like there is a better chance of an Bubba extension than a Bubba firing. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It seems you've always been a bit of a supporter of Baukol. Do you think it's more of a diet and player effort/focus (on weights) issue? Genuinely asking. 

When you look at what Kenny Golladay became after a year in the weight room under Baukol and how much faster Greg Hardin got over the course of his career you have to wonder if Baukol is too often being asked to turn Honda Civics into Ferraris. And for nutrition, some people will say what you eat is 70% of your results. When you look at quite a few of our players it’s clear diet is an issue. Not sure what the current situation is with education and standards but it needs to improve.

Special Teams is still an issue as well.  I know some will point to the two punt blocks that did seal victories for us, but I always view a blocked kick as more of a fluke play or a great individual effort than anything else.

The place kickers on this team are a real liability.  Taubenheim wasn't stellar but was at least serviceable.  The current guys make him look like an All American.

I will give the coverage teams credit though, they were good this year and produced some nice situational punts.  The punter doesn't doesn't have a strong leg, but he pinned teams deep several times.

• Upvote 1