Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
geaux_sioux

State Of The Program

Rate Bubbas UND Tenure  

161 members have voted

  1. 1. Bubbas Grade

    • A
      6
    • B
      19
    • C
      75
    • D
      50
    • F
      11


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

How so?

Likely matchup with a lower ranked team that can only afford the minimum bid.  Guarantee you we don't end up in Thibodaux, LA at 8-3.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

https://undfootball360.com/news/hawks-fall-to-the-colonels/

They vented a bit over losing the bid to Nicholls........

"Which leads me to my next rant:  how did UND not lock up a home game?  Here are the facts:  UND was 6-0 at home and looked pretty damn good in most all of those games (minus parts of Montana State & UNC).  They were 1-4 on the road and looked horrible at times but did rebound with a solid effort out at Weber State.  Still, they were 1-4.

The UND offense is much, much better inside the cozy confines of the Alerus Center.  In 2019, they scored 47, 27, 38, 16, 45 & 36 points at home.  On the road they scored 7, 20, 20, 30, and 27.  That’s an average of 35 points at home vs. 21 on the road.

One big thing that UND needs to do to take the next step as a program is to win a playoff game.  They have made the playoffs twice and been a seed one of those times.  But they have never won a playoff game.  This was a very realistic chance at getting that monkey off their back and they got outbid by Nicholls State, who never should outbid UND for anything.  Their athletic budget is around 10 million dollars.  UND’s is right around 22 million.

UND should have hosted this game and I can guarantee they would’ve looked better than they did on Saturday down in Thibodaux. Call it sour grapes, whatever, but if there was ever a time to go big it was with this 2019 edition of UND Football.  6-0 vs. 1-4 is the only reason needed."

If you can't compete on the road, you are a pretender.  Sour grapes.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shawn-O said:

Likely matchup with a lower ranked team that can only afford the minimum bid.  Guarantee you we don't end up in Thibodaux, LA at 8-3.   

The way the brackets got set it was all regional.  Was going to be Nicholls or SELA no matter what cause UNI was getting an easier home game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrEdway said:

If you can't compete on the road, you are a pretender.  Sour grapes.

That may be but why do you think UNI wins their first game every year then loses?  They buy a home win.

Of course UND wasn't going to win the national championship....but could certainly try and buy a home win and go from there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

The way the brackets got set it was all regional.  Was going to be Nicholls or SELA no matter what cause UNI was getting an easier home game.  

I'll take your word for it since I'm likely talking to a 360 guy.   The whole regional setup of this championship is very rinky-dink, but that's a debate for another time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

That may be but why do you think UNI wins their first game every year then loses?  They buy a home win.

Of course UND wasn't going to win the national championship....but could certainly try and buy a home win and go from there.  

the last three years Nicholls has bid big to get that first game at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

All I want for Christmas is a stout 300# NT that will chew up blocks and push them in the backfield.   That alone with cure must of the rushing defense.

I’ll take two please

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’ll take two please

Good Idea but I feel guilty being greedy.  In that case I get one and you get one.  UND gets both of them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Good Idea but I feel guilty being greedy.  In that case I get one and you get one.  UND gets both of them.

Peyton Lotysz could be one of those guys. He’s got a really wide frame. If he plays like his dad he could be the badass we need as an anchor.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Peyton Lotysz could be one of those guys. He’s got a really wide frame. If he plays like his dad he could be the badass we need as an anchor.

Saw Peyton play one time.  Looked more like an o-lineman I thought.  But I think he will be really good on that side of the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

Saw Peyton play one time.  Looked more like an o-lineman I thought.  But I think he will be really good on that side of the ball.

His old man was an animal so I’m hoping for more of that. Haven’t seen him play in person but I’ve seen him in person and he’s got a frame on him. 300 lbs will come easy for him and it can be a good 300.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

His old man was an animal so I’m hoping for more of that. Haven’t seen him play in person but I’ve seen him in person and he’s got a frame on him. 300 lbs will come easy for him and it can be a good 300.

with if coach p wants him at a lean 285lbs? was baukol at und when greg played?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

with if coach p wants him at a lean 285lbs? was baukol at und when greg played?

I really hope coach P learned from this year. And no, Baukol was not here in 1998. I think his first year as an assistant was like 2003 or something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd rather hear him talking about how his system is directionally correct in getting the team to the playoffs but as the loss indicates his system needs to be adjusted because he knows there's more out there. 

 

NDSU doesn't win because of team goals.
NDSU wins because they've found a system that works. 

 

UND's current system has flaws and it needs to be adjusted. Hopefully Bubba can put his thinking cap on and figure it out, or someone else will have to in a couple years. 

UND needs to better emphasize the offensive and defensive lines. UND could not run the ball nor stop the run in 2019. Fitting it led to their demise in the FCS playoffs. That is #1 area of concern for me. I certainly understand that this is not the goal of Bubba and UND, (i.e., they want to be physical) but they have to find better linemen and better refine their system to improve them. It is not good right now. 

The strength and conditioning program is #2 for me. I honestly think the system run by Baukol is not good enough and a change should be looked at. I don't have faith that he can do better. He is set in his ways. UND doesn't develop their players enough from their freshmen year to their senior year. They are consistently on the smaller side and unable to physically dominate in one on one battles like other MVFC programs' players are able. The physique of NDSU, SDSU, UNI and even Illinois State players is at a different level compared to the UND players. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a bit of good news, I do believe that recruiting quarterbacks and receivers will be easier under Danny’s offensive scheme.  What great receiving recruit is salivating at going to a program whose head coach continually talks about a four yards and a cloud of dust.  There is a reason why we lost Kenny Golladay.  Hopefully that will be better in the future and Schuster does have the ability to look downfield as evidenced by the one game he got to show us what he can do.  Our big receivers have a place.  Unfortunately we had an entire receiving corps of clones that all fit that description and used no speedsters to stretch the field with separation.  Of course, that would have required kett to throw longer than 5 yards as well.  Running game would have been helped with any sort of vertical threat and a qb that looked more than 5 yards downfield.  That should be much better next year with Schuster.  Get Izzy and McKinney healthy with maag and that could be an interesting receiving corps.

The trenches definitely need to be bigger and more physical to do well in the mvfc.  Hopefully that will be a focus in the offseason.

We need consistency on d.  The Davis and Montana state games we showed glimpses of brilliance when we hit, tackled, and pursued like und d of old, but that was short lived and unfortunately not a consistent effort in every game.  Hopefully will improve next year...

we weren’t always pretty but did show we could have Played with everyone other than the bison, who were just clearly better.  No reason to think we can’t be even better next year despite the mvfc schedule.  Here is hoping for improvement in a number of areas and a better season next year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

My question is:  Why was this not discovered prior to playing?  Did he hide his injury or did the coaching staff not notice?

As for the separated shoulder, no way does anyone play with that. Sorry but I call BS.

Either answer will be a bit concerning. 

Happens all the time.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not all speed is created equal. What you’re looking for is a player or two who has the ability to change directions and accelerate very quickly. Players like that are scary to cover, “twitchy” is a word sports analysts will sometimes use to describe this type of player. 
 

So a player can be very fast, maybe runs a nice 100 or 200 time, but not “twitchy” and their shuttle time will be just ok.

Think Dressler. Though he had both types of speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Not all speed is created equal. What you’re looking for is a player or two who has the ability to change directions and accelerate very quickly. Players like that are scary to cover, “twitchy” is a word sports analysts will sometimes use to describe this type of player. 
 

So a player can be very fast, maybe runs a nice 100 or 200 time, but not “twitchy” and their shuttle time will be just ok.

Think Dressler. Though he had both types of speed.

Izzy is a good example of this on our current roster. Great straight line speed but struggles horizontally and diagonally. That’s why when he’s in it’s been mostly posts and goes. If he can learn to zig and zag at speed he could be dangerous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well said Siouxperfan... this is more than just Bubba

Bubba=the playing field

Someone ( undefined and that is the problem)= the game experience, sponsorship, and marketing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

"Trust the process" rings hollow after about Year 5 in my opinion.   

And after 5 years we have been constantly improving. To think of the Mussman years compared to know I think we have came a long ways. We still have a long ways to go, but I believe the improvements will continue to show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

And after 5 years we have been constantly improving. To think of the Mussman years compared to know I think we have came a long ways. We still have a long ways to go, but I believe the improvements will continue to show. 

And yet I would argue our 2015 team was our best of the D1 era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...