161 members have voted

1. 1. Bubbas Grade

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

And yet I would argue our 2015 team was our best of the D1 era.

I would agree. However, that squad got snubbed of the playoffs and barely beat Drake and also lost to Idaho State, so similar results. Except if I remember correctly, they didnt have any if many wins against ranked opponents.

5 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I would agree. However, that squad got snubbed of the playoffs and barely beat Drake and also lost to Idaho State, so similar results. Except if I remember correctly, they didnt have any if many wins against ranked opponents.

Yea, I’m not talking about their resume, I’m talking about the eye test. At the beginning of the year they were struggling a little bit and they lost games when the qb was out, but by the end of the season they were absolutely rolling. That team was poised to make a run.

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Yea, I’m not talking about their resume, I’m talking about the eye test. At the beginning of the year they were struggling a little bit and they lost games when the qb was out, but by the end of the season they were absolutely rolling. That team was poised to make a run.

I agree with you on that one. I can't help but think of how powerful our offense would be if we focused on developing the run. Our offense is above average-good there is no way around that. However, if the line improves and Skokna keeps rolling and we find a complimentary piece to help him out (no not McKinney, he is a nice gadget player, but not what we need) we will be just fine against MVFC defenses

4 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I agree with you on that one. I can't help but think of how powerful our offense would be if we focused on developing the run. Our offense is above average-good there is no way around that. However, if the line improves and Skokna keeps rolling and we find a complimentary piece to help him out (no not McKinney, he is a nice gadget player, but not what we need) we will be just fine against MVFC defenses

We need a couple bigger backs too though, we can’t ask smallish guys to ruin their bodies slamming into a wall of humanity like we did with Santiago. Kinda like the wr position, we need a variety of body types and skill sets to be successful.

10 hours ago, SlowHand said:

My question is:  Why was this not discovered prior to playing?  Did he hide his injury or did the coaching staff not notice?

As for the separated shoulder, no way does anyone play with that. Sorry but I call BS.

Either answer will be a bit concerning. 

Playing with a separated shoulder happens all the time.

Whether you choose to believe it or not, Noah had one. Two of the OLs played over half the season with even more extensive shoulder separations.

The bigger issue is missing the fracture. This, unfortunately, is not an isolated incident.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ozzie82 said:

S+C is the biggest issue in this program. Bigger than coaching, bigger than facilities, bigger than NDSU being down the highway.

This is spot on. The most accurate thing said on this site in a long time. Bubba made two changes last year that improved the team. He needs to make another one this year...

• Upvote 4

There is much venting on here - as it is a fan board.  However, the collective "hive mind" has correctly identified areas that need improvement.  The big question is whether Bubba is self-aware enough to make some.  All we get from him (and to be fair, many other coaches) is coach speak and day by day.  We have hope that Chaves will make a difference, but the average Joe hears almost nothing from him.  Almost every year we see things that make us optimistic  for next year.  We also see stunning failures as illustrated by Idaho State.  And the most frustrating thing is that we almost always are left with horrible optics - the old triple reverse, last year's total collapse, this year's light linemen experiment,  and this year Bubba looking constipated while deciding not to go for it on 4th down with 6 minutes left.  This has been going on long enough.  I understand we are stuck with Bubba but things need to get sorted out and right soon.  Chaves needs to intervene.  

• Upvote 1

I guess I get tired of a lot of same people wanting change for sake of change because the grass is greener on the other side if we just had right coach or athletic director we could become absolute number one team. The facts are UND has been making gradual improvement in division I football not to level where we are top tier school year in year out but were getting closer. NDSU is the program we are compared too and yes were not in there league right now I wonder if we will ever be in football again. They are in perfect world right now in that they put together winning program where top athletes in the state for football is there first choice, second because of program success they are winning a lot of recruit battles with other schools, and finally they becoming choice FBS player drop downs because of recognition they are getting winning national championships. UND is in the tier of  a lot FCS schools and that is reason there is FCS division because of size and amount of resources these schools have is limited resources to fund athletic programs.  I guess I don't get it so many people think UND here on this sight has superior resources that we should be cut above the other FCS teams and the fact is we are a lot better than some but by no degree are we far superior to other FCS schools. Right now I would guess NDSU would be clear cut winner in that department in football I don't have the figures but my guess is football is commanding major portion of their athletic budget,

Getting back to UND football when Bubba took over program we were in bottom tier of Big Sky Conference and cupboard was getting pretty bare. Yes Bubba is far from perfect coach but he has improved UND football and football team has played better and we have number of highly outstanding athletes and students that have represented North Dakota well. When programs get down its never easy to get back to elite program. Also football for UND is not number one sport which makes it even more difficult to get resources and attention needed to build elite program. Even the large FBS schools its hard for them to have elite programs in more than one sport and most do not have that happen. The conference were in the Summit reflects this in membership with only 5 of schools having football programs and Und only school to have Football and Hockey programs. The hockey schools in the conference dropped football because of costs to maintain both programs and UND did not instead eliminated a lot of the other sports and kept football. The bottom line if football is going to be successful at UND its going to take support of fans and financial help if it is to be elite group of football schools. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fry Bread said:

Yes. A dislocation is when the humeral head is displaced. A separation  is a strain or tear of the A/C joint.( Acromial-clavicular joint) This is where the distal clavicle

and the acromion process of the scapula come together.  The ligaments are strained or torn and I think there are 3 grades of separation. I will have to look that up.

kFh8CeF.gif

https://www.thesteadmanclinic.com/patient-education/shoulder/ac-separation

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Yes. A dislocation is when the humeral head is displaced. A separation  is a strain or tear of the A/C joint.( Acromial-clavicular joint) This is where the distal clavicle

and the acromion process of the scapula come together.  The ligaments are strained or torn and I think there are 3 grades of separation. I will have to look that up.

kFh8CeF.gif

https://www.thesteadmanclinic.com/patient-education/shoulder/ac-separation

In 16 a player had his shoulder pop out against Bowling Green. I assume popes out since his knuckles were dragging on the ground. Once more at a home game, then again on the road. Think he missed a game after that but played the rest. 

end of the year he had some major surgery on ligaments and tendons. 

Thanks... I have helped reset many dislocations... years ago, no sedation but maybe a shot of Demerol.. wrap the draw sheet around the chest... the doctor pulls on the arm and the nurse pulls the opposite way with the draw sheet... pops in! Many baseball injuries.... 

The shoulder separation is a little tricky... I remember old doctors doing a physical exam, no x-ray, apply a sling and wait for it to heal...

And again... the UND physicians were always tops, absolute best... a pleasure to work with!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RobThomas said:

No not at all McKinney doesn't have anything to do with Bubba and his Coaching. Bubba can't relate to his players.

C'mon man. He must be able to relate to them in some way. Have you seen the locker room post game videos when he comes in for the school song. Looks relatable to me.

15 minutes ago, shep said:

C'mon man. He must be able to relate to them in some way. Have you seen the locker room post game videos when he comes in for the school song. Looks relatable to me.

Ignore the guy, he has a personal issue with the coach. 

• Upvote 2

I don't believe Bubba is quite the problem, but he is an easy scapegoat for their issues. I personally like the guy and believe he is a good coach. It all comes down to recruiting, and that requires money and facilities. If a recruit were to choose between NDSU and UND, not even taking past success into account, NDSU wins by a mile. UND has to figure out a way to secure more donor money/fundraise and improve facilities, or else we will be stuck in the middle for many years to come.

• Upvote 1