161 members have voted

1. 1. Bubbas Grade

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

9 minutes ago, Hawks_Fan_24 said:

I wouldn't call rolling on the foam roller stretching, but that's just me.

Honestly visually they looked slow and this is right before spring ball when guys have been lifting and doing "speed" training. The times were slow as well (if I'm not mistaken I think hand and a system were taken).

Unfortunately his methods are out of date. Especially his lack of position specific training. A linemen does not need the same attributes as a wide receiver and vice versa. It seems you are a big supporter of his. I know players and coaches across the country and this just isn't it. The players I've seen develop across the country are similar to ours, but have a great strength training program that is up to date and position specific. That is why they are faster, more explosive, and agile than us. We aren't playing D2 football (where Baukol's methods were successful... we are playing D1 now). 

However, I completely agree that players diets are absolute garbage. I've seen this and the dining halls are where the concern lays. Should have a food hall for athletes only to monitor diets for all sports programs (this is what the big programs have).

Let’s refrain from sticking words in each others mouths for starters. This was one area where he and I disagreed. We had many discussions about training philosophy and I learned a lot from him but that doesn’t mean I think he preaches pure gospel. One thing I agree with him on is lifting big to get more resilient and explosive, this is backed by science. 

17 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Let’s refrain from sticking words in each others mouths for starters. This was one area where he and I disagreed. We had many discussions about training philosophy and I learned a lot from him but that doesn’t mean I think he preaches pure gospel. One thing I agree with him on is lifting big to get more resilient and explosive, this is backed by science. 

That's why I said "it seems". I would of said "you are" if I was putting words in someones mouth. However sorry about that.

Like with everyone, there will be some positives and negatives they do. Just depends on your view. With him, there are more negatives than positives from what I've seen.

24 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Doesn't the hockey team has their own food program? Not starting a hockey vs football war but couldn't there be some cross over between programs?

If 52% of football revenues go to REA, then why aren’t the other athletes (all UND athletes) in that food program?

• Upvote 3

Also, what is concerning to me is that tweet that Chaves put out. I understand the financial issues we face and it may not be an option to fire Bubba but don’t tweet that you look forward to building on the success that Bubba has had. Bubba should be on a very short leash, it makes Chaves look foolish supporting this type of mediocrity and makes me question his thought process. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Hawks_Fan_24 said:

That's why I said "it seems". I would of said "you are" if I was putting words in someones mouth. However sorry about that.

Like with everyone, there will be some positives and negatives they do. Just depends on your view. With him, there are more negatives than positives from what I've seen.

FWIW I always viewed what he had us do as the bare minimum and did a ton of extra stuff on the side.

2 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Also, what is concerning to me is that tweet that Chaves put out. I understand the financial issues we face and it may not be an option to fire Bubba but don’t tweet that you look forward to building on the success that Bubba has had. Bubba should be on a very short leash, it makes Chaves look foolish supporting this type of mediocrity and makes me question his thought process. 

There is nothing in his tweet supporting mediocrity. Any leader that publicly criticizes their subordinates should not be in that position. You don’t play to the media and the fans. Unless he is going to make a change, his statement to the public is exactly what he needs to do. Anything else would undermine the program. It would be devastating to recruiting for them to read coaching staff is on a short leash. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Too much time left in Bubba’s contract. If he leaves (especially now), it will have to be his choice. Either retirement or moving into an ancillary (think fundraising and baby kissing) position. Chaves is just bound by what happened after Bubba was given the extension following the first playoff appearance, Big Sky co-championship and Coach of the Year. And, at the time, most, if not all, of the posters in this forum thought it was a good thing.  ...   At the time.

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

There is nothing in his tweet supporting mediocrity. Any leader that publicly criticizes their subordinates should not be in that position. You don’t play to the media and the fans. Unless he is going to make a change, his statement to the public is exactly what he needs to do. Anything else would undermine the program. It would be devastating to recruiting for them to read coaching staff is on a short leash. 

He didn't tweet anything about supporting Jones after MBB lost to end their season. He didn't tweet anything about supporting Brad Berry after the season. Of course he's not going to publicly criticize his coach. But he also doesn't need to send out that tweet unless he truly has Bubba's back in this.

That's unfortunate. I watched the game last night on my phone and every time they showed Bubba, he looked like he had no clue what was going on in the game. Only time he showed any sort of emotion was talking to the ref about Maag being held. Just looked outright confused the whole time.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

That explains a lot.  Too bad you can't hit the reset on your XBOX and play the game again or put in a magic code for instant gratification.  You should write a snarky blog to Chaves while sipping your latte, that should do it.

I can't remember the last time I turned on a console, and I'm pretty sure I have never ordered a latte.

13 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Who said he should criticize, I just don’t think you can honestly say build on the success. Tweet your support for the program, the student athletes but don’t tell me Bubba is doing a bang up job. Come on now. 

5 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Who said he should criticize, I just don’t think you can honestly say build on the success. Tweet your support for the program, the student athletes but don’t tell me Bubba is doing a bang up job. 

Exactly.  Three years of 7-5 would get you run out of Fargo in a hurry!  In Grand Forks, its a reason to pop champagne corks?

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Exactly.  Three years of 7-5 would get you run out of Fargo in a hurry!  In Grand Forks, its a reason to pop champagne corks?

And we all know what 2 years of not making the playoffs gets you in Grand Forks - a new scoreboard. I know you are stirring the pot but you know that no one is popping champagne in the UND football program. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

When you act like a D2 program you get these sorts of results. 

UND, in theory, should not get pushed around by random schools that nobody knew existed or where it was.  It's one thing to get dominated by NDSU or SDSU or JMU, etc., but this was an awful look for you guys.  Now I'm irritated because you are making my home state look piss poor.  Nicholls State?  Are we joking here?  

Once Bubba is gone, which will likely be within a couple years, you guys need to get new blood in Grand Forks.  This glory days boys club you have going is a joke and the rest of us are laughing at you, not with you.  KIds these days don't care that you have an all-time winning record against NDSU or were good in the 90's/D2 days.  They want to compete and win and UND hasn't really done that since I was like 12....I'm 27 now.  Adapt or die.  

Yah I'm sure you were equally irritated when the state was made to look piss poor when on the eve of last year's national championship game it was revealed there was substance abuse in the SU locker room and a starter was dismissed but the local media covered it up until after the game. You may be 27 in years but no way in maturity.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

You’ve got to think they’re going to undo that horribly stupid idea of trimming down the OL last year. They should all gain 10-20 lbs for next year or we will be in trouble against the better MVFC teams. We got bitch slapped in the trenches this year and it cost us games that were very winnable, yesterday included.

What I find astounding is all you have to do is LOOK at what other schools are doing in regards to the O and D lines. Bubba went in the opposite direction. WTF??? Plus you cant keep declaring you have a great recruiting class when most of your recruits only had D2 offers. Thats nothing more than smoke and mirrors trying to cover up that you got you ass kicked in recruiting. You need a different type of athlete if you are going to be competitive at this level. If they arent going to be game changers out of the box then the recruit has to have the potential to be developed. Then you also have to have the coaches to take these kids and develope them.  I havent seen that from this staff.

7 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Yah I'm sure you were equally irritated when the state was made to look piss poor when on the eve of last year's national championship game it was revealed there was substance abuse in the SU locker room and a starter was dismissed but the local media covered it up until after the game. You may be 27 in years but no way in maturity.  

Thats your rebuttal. Your post has nothing to do with his. Is this your go to when you have nothing? Geez

7 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

11 minutes ago, bison73 said:

What I find astounding is all you have to do is LOOK at what other schools are doing in regards to the O and D lines. Bubba went in the opposite direction. WTF??? Plus you cant keep declaring you have a great recruiting class when most of your recruits only had D2 offers. Thats nothing more than smoke and mirrors trying to cover up that you got you ass kicked in recruiting. You need a different type of athlete if you are going to be competitive at this level. If they arent going to be game changers out of the box then the recruit has to have the potential to be developed. Then you also have to have the coaches to take these kids and develope them.  I havent seen that from this staff.

I and many others were a bit flummoxed when they were championing the OL losing weight to be able run the new offense more effectively. In the end we had no ability to run the ball because we couldn’t move anyone, go figure.

14 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Who has ever declared UND had a great recruiting class?

23 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

And we all know what 2 years of not making the playoffs gets you in Grand Forks - a new scoreboard. I know you are stirring the pot but you know that no one is popping champagne in the UND football program. 

I’m not stirring the pot at all and just returned home from a visit to Dickinson.  You think I enjoy seeing every other house decked out with Bison flags hanging from the porch and vehicles  with Bison stickers and/or car flags all over the road?  North Dakota is invisible compared to NDSU in terms of statewide recognition - and Bubba won’t change that.

• Upvote 4