161 members have voted

1. 1. Bubbas Grade

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 hour ago, Siouxperkick said:

I don't believe Bubba is quite the problem, but he is an easy scapegoat for their issues. I personally like the guy and believe he is a good coach. It all comes down to recruiting, and that requires money and facilities. If a recruit were to choose between NDSU and UND, not even taking past success into account, NDSU wins by a mile. UND has to figure out a way to secure more donor money/fundraise and improve facilities, or else we will be stuck in the middle for many years to come.

You are correct about the facilities - we need Phase II soon.  However, as nice as it to think that us average fans can up our contributions and take care of it, the amount necessary is far out of reach for that type of funding.  The administration needs to stop alienating big pockets donors from Sanford to the Engelstads.  That's the only way it will get built.  This isn't to say there shouldn't be a drive to raise money from fans - it would help and give everyone some skin in the game and unite the fan base. 

This lack of progress doesn't mean Bubba should get a pass.  Much of our misery has been self-inflicted and has nothing to do with Phase II - from 5 years of Rudy to our annual trip to Idaho State to our "light line" experiment to his game and clock management - these are all things under Bubba's control.  Just watch the second half of the Richmond game to see the staff in action.  Better facilities would certainly help with recruiting, but that shouldn't be an excuse for Bubba's coaching decisions.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Irish said:

You are correct about the facilities - we need Phase II soon.  However, as nice as it to think that us average fans can up our contributions and take care of it, the amount necessary is far out of reach for that type of funding.  The administration needs to stop alienating big pockets donors from Sanford to the Engelstads.  That's the only way it will get built.  This isn't to say there shouldn't be a drive to raise money from fans - it would help and give everyone some skin in the game and unite the fan base. 

This lack of progress doesn't mean Bubba should get a pass.  Much of our misery has been self-inflicted and has nothing to do with Phase II - from 5 years of Rudy to our annual trip to Idaho State to our "light line" experiment to his game and clock management - these are all things under Bubba's control.  Just watch the second half of the Richmond game to see the staff in action.  Better facilities would certainly help with recruiting, but that shouldn't be an excuse for Bubba's coaching decisions.

This is a solid post. I think all of the things said about Bubba are valid points. My thought is, despite the glaring downfalls, he has seemed to do a nice job bringing in a quality staff to support him (correct me if I am wrong). I feel like for the most part we have solid position coaches who do a nice job working with what we have and putting players in a position to succeed.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

There shouldn't be any doubt that Phase 2 is an important component for the overall purpose of the High Performance Center and even more so the football program.  My first question is who is on this committee and what is being done to sell this project?  Other than the pretty picture that sits in the HPC, I haven't heard any updates.  Chaves can't possibly be the only person that knows anything.  There certainly must be some money set aside for the project.  Let's get real, it wasn't very hard to convince a small percentage of UND students that a new $80  million dollar student union was needed.  People need to see the facilities our boy's are working with.  They need to see what other programs are building.  If there is a need, let's get out there and sell it!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Riverhawk said:

There shouldn't be any doubt that Phase 2 is an important component for the overall purpose of the High Performance Center and even more so the football program.  My first question is who is on this committee and what is being done to sell this project?  Other than the pretty picture that sits in the HPC, I haven't heard any updates.  Chaves can't possibly be the only person that knows anything.  There certainly must be some money set aside for the project.  Let's get real, it wasn't very hard to convince a small percentage of UND students that a new $80  million dollar student union was needed.  People need to see the facilities our boy's are working with.  They need to see what other programs are building.  If there is a need, let's get out there and sell it!

Agreed..seems there was a lot of excitement when Phase 2 plan was announced and then kinda died out until this article was published. I know there are probably some behind the scenes horse trading  occurring, but it would be nice to have a deadline for fundraising and occasional updates. Surprised there is not some Grand Forks or North Dakota connected company that hasn't jumped all over this project. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The relationship with Altru has really killed our athletic facilities. Sanford would have dumped multiple large donations already.

Imagine that Altru kills something else....

Did the facility go in for a headache, or a routine procedure of sometype?

Double edged sword on making people aware of the current conditions of locker rooms and such, play that angle up too much and becomes very visual for potential recruits before they can get them on campus and definitely more used by competing programs.....

But most people arent aware of what exactly the current conditions are that necessitate Phase II.....

by putting that out there more does that create the urgency to give......

at this point the short term pain may outweigh the potential negatives. 

I know finding more about exactly the current state has made me more willing to support.

30 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Double edged sword on making people aware of the current conditions of locker rooms and such, play that angle up too much and becomes very visual for potential recruits before they can get them on campus and definitely more used by competing programs.....

But most people arent aware of what exactly the current conditions are that necessitate Phase II.....

by putting that out there more does that create the urgency to give......

at this point the short term pain may outweigh the potential negatives. 

I know finding more about exactly the current state has made me more willing to support.

Memorial isn’t doing so hot structurally. If you get the chance go and look at the brick walls and how much they bow out. 

11 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Memorial isn’t doing so hot structurally. If you get the chance go and look at the brick walls and how much they bow out. 

This season I actually did that a bit, got to see some things I hadn't for a decade or so, its all pretty rough and sketchy.

Its not good. I say use that info to create a sense of urgency, take the pain now and get beyond it.

The status quo is pointless to continue to support.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Safety concerns is usually a good sell.  I'm serious about this.  Maybe with the new President, things might take a turn for the better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Riverhawk said:

Safety concerns is usually a good sell.  I'm serious about this.  Maybe with the new President, things might take a turn for the better.

Not just safety concerns, but UND needs phase 2 to create room in the hyslop for the STEM renovation.  This WILL get built - hopefully sooner rather than later.  

On 11/30/2019 at 8:06 PM, geaux_sioux said:

Well that was embarrassing. Where does the program currently sit?

1. Our WR group is too slow/white. It just is what it is. Our WR does not look D1. Tall slow white boys can ball but if that’s all you have it makes it really hard to get separation against even an average secondary.

2. OL too small. This position group has been a disaster under Bubba.

3. DL too small. This position has also been a huge problem under Bubba. You just can’t run a 3-4 with smallish DL. We either need to recruit DL with body types like what Weber State has or we need to change to a 4 man front. 

4.  Clock management..... that’s all I need to say about that.

5. Our RB group was neglected for 3 years and it shows. Somehow all these other teams can find dynamic big strong backs. We haven’t had one in a while, that needs to change.

6. OLB depth? Not good enough. We only went a legit 3 deep this year.

7. Safety play has been poor since Reyes left. Bubba has really struggled with safeties for a guy who used to coach secondaries.

8. Overall we lack size and athleticism. Is this SC coach’s fault or is it recruiting? Or both?

Personally I feel like Bubba has done what he’s capable of at UND. I don’t know about you but I’m not ok with barely making the playoffs and getting our !@#$ pushed in and that being considered the second best season under him. 

7. Safety play has been poor since Reyes left. Bubba has really struggled with safeties for a guy who used to coach secondaries.

your starting Safety Canady is statistically on pace to be  one of the best Safeties in the UND D1 era

1. needs 46 Solo Tackles for second place all time he has 100

2. needs 53 Total Tackles to move into 3rd place he has 172

3. needs 6 pass break-ups to move into 2nd place he has 18

4. currently 4th in Career Interceptions at 5

5. currently in 4th place in Single-Season Solo Tackles at 53

6. 87 Single Season Total Tackles ranks him at 4 behind Dylan Bakker

7. Single Season Interceptions of 3 ranks as 4th place all time

He's 6'2 205 and runs a 4.56.  I think Bubba did okay with this one

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Haven’t heard much from folks about wanting coaching changes lately?

1 minute ago, iramurphy said:

Why would you want to???  

The playoffs are over for us. Not much to comment on at the moment. Hard to see him getting fired during the off season after we made the playoffs.

• Upvote 1