161 members have voted

1. 1. Bubbas Grade

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Who has ever declared UND had a great recruiting class?

FCS programs are largely “development” programs . Yes the occasional guy is recruited who the B1G overlooked but that is rare.  

NDSU does not recruit many highly rated recruits.  It’s impossible at FCS level.

Our development is deficient.  For that reason I voted D.(would have gone C- if that was available).  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

There is nothing in his tweet supporting mediocrity. Any leader that publicly criticizes their subordinates should not be in that position. You don’t play to the media and the fans. Unless he is going to make a change, his statement to the public is exactly what he needs to do. Anything else would undermine the program. It would be devastating to recruiting for them to read coaching staff is on a short leash. 

I agree that it was not the time or place to publicly bash Bubba or the program from the AD's office - especially after a play-off appearance.  I think the bigger issue for fans is that Bubba is almost pathologically afraid of change and we look to Chaves for that and are not sure if his post means he is happy with the program as is.  This fan board is often used to vent and put forth personal viewpoints, but overall I there is a collective wisdom in the "hive think".  Just like almost every fan could see the weakness in Rudy (but not Bubba) this board collectively has correctly identified many weaknesses that need to be fixed if we want to be relevant again.  Geau Sioux had a great post on these weaknesses.  If Chaves is not the driving factor for change I don't see much being done.  Many of these issues are long standing and seemed to be ingrained in "Bubba Ball".  We desperately need Chaves to right the ship even if Bubba is locked in for a couple more years.  We are in danger of becoming the permanent weak sister to the knuckleheads down south and are about to enter a very physical conference.  Recognizing our weaknesses and working to correct them would be a big step in the right direction (and for crap's sake let's end this light linemen experiment).  

• Upvote 1

As a bit of good news, I do believe that recruiting quarterbacks and receivers will be easier under Danny’s offensive scheme.  What great receiving recruit is salivating at going to a program whose head coach continually talks about a few yards and a cloud of dust.  There is a reason why we lost Kenny Golladay.  Hopefully that will be better in the future and Schuster does have the ability to look downfield as evidenced by the one game he got to show us what he can do.  Our big receivers have a place.  Unfortunately we had an entire receiving core of clones that all fit that description and used no speedsters to stretch the field with separation.  Of course, that would have required kett to throw linger than 5 yards as well.

need consistency on d.  The Davis and Montana state games we hit and tackled, but that was unfortunately not a consistent effort.  Hopefully will improve next year...

7 minutes ago, Hans8891 said:

As a bit of good news, I do believe that recruiting quarterbacks and receivers will be easier under Danny’s offensive scheme.  What great receiving recruit is salivating at going to a program whose head coach continually talks about a few yards and a cloud of dust.  There is a reason why we lost Kenny Golladay.  Hopefully that will be better in the future and Schuster does have the ability to look downfield as evidenced by the one game he got to show us what he can do.  Our big receivers have a place.  Unfortunately we had an entire receiving core of clones that all fit that description and used no speedsters to stretch the field with separation.  Of course, that would have required kett to throw linger than 5 yards as well.

need consistency on d.  The Davis and Montana state games we hit and tackled, but that was unfortunately not a consistent effort.  Hopefully will improve next year...

UND threw the ball pretty well against Nicholls State. In fact, UND had a good passing offense all season with Ketteringham throwing to Wanzek, Toivonen, and Maag. BUT, the lack of a running game was the weak link and it hurt the entire team.

UND was not a good offensive football team in 2019 because they were too one dimensional. For 2020, UND not only needs to replace their QB and receivers but also needs better linemen and backs. The entire offense is not in a great personnel place and scoring only 6 points against Nicholls State demonstrates this.

I do believe Freund can do well and build and lead the offense, but UND needs more talent at all spots for the offense to actually produce. It won’t get any easier in 2020.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND threw the call pretty well against Nicholls State. In fact, UND has a good passing offense all season with Ketteringham throwing to Wanzek, Toivonen, and Maag. BUT, the lack of a running game was the weak link. UND was not a good offensive football team because they were too one dimensional. For 2020, UND not only needs to replace their QB and receivers but also needs better linemen and backs. The entire offense is not in a great personnel place and scoring only 6 points against Nicholls State demonstrates this.

I do believe Freund can do well and build and lead the offense, but UND needs more talent at all spots for the offense to actually produce. It won’t get any easier in 2020.

Even though we threw for yards yesterday we had zero separation and it showed once we got to the red zone. There’s a reason we didn’t score a TD. Separation is king in the passing game. A complimentary running game helps but athletes that can separate is even more important.

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Even though we threw for yards yesterday we had zero separation and it showed once we got to the red zone. There’s a reason we didn’t score a TD. Separation is king in the passing game. A complimentary running game helps but athletes that can separate is even more important.

UND’s offense isn’t going to get a whole lot better without a running game. UND will continue to falter in the red zone without the ability to run the ball. The next quarterback could be a dual threat. The receivers could have speed and be a threat to go 50+ on any play. The linemen could be able to run zone AND move people 2 to 3 yards down the field consistently. The backs could be able to run AND break tackles. There are a lot of areas within the offense that need to improve, not only the athleticism of the receivers.

Overall, there needs to be more talent and development. The offensive line is where development is key; I’m not sure what Baukol and Pawlak are capable of together, but 2019 wasn’t a good round 1. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND threw the ball pretty well against Nicholls State. In fact, UND had a good passing offense all season with Ketteringham throwing to Wanzek, Toivonen, and Maag. BUT, the lack of a running game was the weak link and it hurt the entire team.

UND was not a good offensive football team in 2019 because they were too one dimensional. For 2020, UND not only needs to replace their QB and receivers but also needs better linemen and backs. The entire offense is not in a great personnel place and scoring only 6 points against Nicholls State demonstrates this.

Need upgrade at QB, 20-25 lbs more per OL, a WR to stretch field( what happened to adeoti?) and a 220 lb RB that can make people miss and run over dbs, to compliment McKinney and skokna.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Any idea what happened to Izzy?  Having no running game makes getting separation tougher too.  Nicholls was daring us to run yesterday as the game wore on.  Only so much you can do running slants, picks and 6 yard outs.

23 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Any idea what happened to Izzy?  Having no running game makes getting separation tougher too.  Nicholls was daring us to run yesterday as the game wore on.  Only so much you can do running slants, picks and 6 yard outs.

No clue. Saw him in on one play this year. He redshirts this year and hopefully improves his hands and intermediate route running for next year. We need speed.

• Upvote 1

why are we so afraid to fire someone...holy crap.  hey kostitch even you know that you aren't getting it done...he should be gone.  baukol...thanks for your service but we're gonna try something different.  heck even the d-bag in the hawk mascot should've been sent packing after that brain dead sign at the ndacdome.  

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Bubba saying in his press conference that they expected a 7 win season tells me he has the wrong mindset to lead this program.

UND Football needs a new system. 

That is very telling.  We need a coach who expects to win every game.

• Upvote 2

https://main.gopherhole.com/fbr2020

Type "North Dakota" or "UND" in the Find function, and tell me what you see.  Recruiting continues to be an issue, and I think a sample size of the state of Minnesota is valid.  Operate like a Northern Sun program, and that's what you will get.   We sure are kicking Bemidji's and Winona's ass on the recruiting trail.  Meanwhile 75 miles to the south they've got kids turning Les Miles down to stay home.  Never dreamed when I was enrolled at UND in the 80's that we'd see a gap between the two programs of that magnitude again, man was I wrong.   It's going to take someone special to take this program to an elite level in the MVFC.  Bubba ain't that guy.   

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

https://main.gopherhole.com/fbr2020

Type "North Dakota" or "UND" in the Find function, and tell me what you see.  Recruiting continues to be an issue, and I think a sample size of the state of Minnesota is valid.  Operate like a Northern Sun program, and that's what you will get.   We sure are kicking Bemidji's and Winona's ass on the recruiting trail.  Meanwhile 75 miles to the south they've got kids turning Les Miles down to stay home.  Never dreamed when I was enrolled at UND in the 80's that we'd see a gap between the two programs of that magnitude again, man was I wrong.   It's going to take someone special to take this program to an elite level in the MVFC.  Bubba ain't that guy.   

Nobody turned down Les Miles for NDSU.

• Upvote 2

I will start by saying I am not a expert in anything.

I would be in interested in what you have to say were our strengths and don’t necessarily need improvement next year. Not to be smart about it but it seems like this is a much shorter list than what needs improvement. I am afraid the acceptable list is pretty short (by player and coaching positions)

What changes were made last year that helped our team? I think our offense opened up and that helped. Our field goal kicker seemed to improve.

What changes were made that didn’t seem to work? Big one seems to be the weight loss of our lineman for instance.

There seems to be so many player positions and coaching decisions that need improvement. Attendance is down. 

Do we have the resources to compete? Is 7-4 acceptable?

Seems like we aren’t fast enough, strong enough and skilled enough??

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

And for the record can the 2 individuals who gave Bubba an "A" grade as a coach please out themselves. Tony Robbins is waiting for you two on line to #3 to offer you high level positions in his organization.

#awakeningthegiantwithin

Wait, you aren't the other A besides me?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2