SiouxSports.com Forum

EWU Game Day!

Mama Sue

Just now, Fry Bread said:

Can point a lot of fingers in different directions. 

All I’ll say is I started drinking at the beginning of the 4th quarter and by the end of the game I was hammered. 

Not sure where I I was going with this?

Same. Not sure where this is going, but I still don't feel better about this program.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, shep said:

Can we soon bury the idea that a 3-4 Defense is the way to go when your NG is 270? They were cut like a hot knife through butter whenever EWU needed a big play.

Well their OL was pretty good and healthy I believe..... we are obviously missing some beef upfront which hasn’t hurt us too bad so far until EWU ran it every down

What’s the most disappointing is the defense came out and turned things around and held their own. We unfortunately did not do what it takes to win on offense. Bubbas loyalty will sink his  ship like it has in some of these big games. Since he is loyal maybe he will step down for the betterment of the program.

Looking at the schedule this year, and to be perfectly honest, i didnt see more than 3 or 4 wins at best.

Everything I've seen so far has solidified that. The "win" in the tater bowl was something that Ibthought was more of a holding and coming out on top of a war of poor attrition.

Can UND football compete at this level?

Everything Ive seen so far since the change has been poorly mangled, and it shows.

Looooooong way from having a foundation to build on.

Bubba... seems like a GREAT guy who I enjoyed having a beer with.... Thats maybe what he needs to be, the chief fundraiser for FB...... send him around and connect with with donors .... "looked what happens if you dont give!... I'm the best they could hire and lool at the results!"

My guess is they will chalk Kett's performance up to being rusty from being off and he will get the start.  I think we should start Tommy with a full week of him getting reps and see how it goes.  We will likely lose next week anyway, let's see how Tommy does.  Lot of season left, I'm not giving up on the season yet.  Davis is obviously beatable, would be a nice bounce back if we could pull that off.  

There is the possibility that bubba retires and takes a fundraising job or goes out to pasture at umary. Chaves would let him wait until the end of the season to save face and have a shred of dignity. If that happens, who knows where the hiring process goes. Both coordinators would probably like to apply but the way the season is going that would be a bit awkward. 

12 minutes ago, SteppenHawk said:

There is the possibility that bubba retires and takes a fundraising job or goes out to pasture at umary. Chaves would let him wait until the end of the season to save face and have a shred of dignity. If that happens, who knows where the hiring process goes. Both coordinators would probably like to apply but the way the season is going that would be a bit awkward. 

If we are even remotely thinking about another Good Old Boy hire then we might as well keep Bubba.   If we opt to replace Bubba, then cut deep and get rid of coordinators too.   After all, I haven't seen anything spectacular out of them either this season.   IMO, all go or no one goes.   At this point I'm reserving judgment until one or two more games, we can still win 7 games, but not if they keep playing the way they did today.

9 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

If we are even remotely thinking about another Good Old Boy hire then we might as well keep Bubba.   If we opt to replace Bubba, then cut deep and get rid of coordinators too.   After all, I haven't seen anything spectacular out of them either this season.   IMO, all go or no one goes.   At this point I'm reserving judgment until one or two more games, we can still win 7 games, but not if they keep playing the way they did today.

I said at the beginning of the year, if UND can answer yes to these questions, they would be 8-3 and a playoff team

1) Undefeated at home? Currently Yes

2) Beat the Tomato cans? Currently Yes

Now if one or both switch to no and causes a playoff miss.... its time. 

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is a dangerous point for UND athletics as a whole. The conditions are ripe for apathy to set in. The opposite of love is NOT hate, it's apathy. Once that sets in, it is very hard to dislodge.

Chaves has his work cut out for him.

I’d argue apathy has already set in.  It has for me...unfortunately 

• Upvote 2

The old coach of the Washington Redskins, George Allen, seems to be whom Bubba tries to emulate.  Allen wanted veteran players as they didn’t make mistakes and rarely turned the ball over but didn’t believe in offensive momentum as defense only wins games.  Kett turned the ball over five times, and would have bet Schuster wouldn’t have had half those mistakes.  Schuster just wins, even though he is still a freshman.  After three turnovers, would have given Schuster at least a chance.

Look at all the QB’s that EWU, UC Davis, NDSU, SDSU and even USD have gotten QBs that were keys for their past and futures.  Bubba seems to believe the QB position isn’t that key, but a necessary evil.

Four games into the season. My thoughts on the four games and season ( has drastically changed) 

Drake -Even though they ended up beating them by 40 it wasn’t until Zimm came in and looked downfield that gave them that 40 point victory.  With all due respect to Drake, if a team wants to be in the upper echelon of the fcs this game would of never been close. And it was in the 3rd 

NDSU -The odds of beating team south in Fargo was slim but yet again it looked as though they didnt belong on the same field Ndsu was never threatened.  That will be the case every year from now on out as und hits the mvfc...guaranteed loss  

Sam -  und won but I might be one of the few to think that Sam was not an impressive team  Imo...no way this game should of came down to the last possession  

Eastern-  currently eastern is not even close to the same team that went to the finals last year. They had a near entire roster change over and are wounded. They were beaten badly by a bad Idaho team (eastern ended with garbage time points)  and beaten by an ok Jax st team.  They get their first d1 win with thanks to und   

Uc Davis -  who really thinks und has a chance?  Bubba has proven over and over again to us fans he can’t get it done  Big loss. Deflating 

@ Idaho st - Idaho st has had unds number at home.  They are an ok team that will continue its home victories vs und   Loss  

@ cal poly - they are a bottom tier team. Bubba is well renowned to ”own” non participating playoff teams. Und should win but in typical bubba style it might come down to final possession 

mont st- loss 

@ Weber st -  und will be shutout - best D und will face .  Big Loss 

N Colo and S Utah — same as cal poly ...two Ws .  Highly doubtful these will be blowouts they should be.  Bad bad teams  

Und has the ability to beat non playoff teams. In nearly 6 years  Bubba currently sits with 2 regular season victories with teams that would make the playoffs.  Those two teams didn’t win their playoff games. Reality check.  

Since bubba arrived the offense, including this year, is simply a circus show.  It’s so frustrating.  

The D has its ups and downs but has the ability to make adjustments. In typical bubba fashion ..the adjustments seem to come way too late as the games outcome is usually in hand.  It’s been up to the D to win games.  When they are not “on” or are worn out from unds offense being a constant 3 and out machine...und fails.  

ST-  yeah ....? 

Bubba (32-29)is simply not head coach worthy.  Time for change once again. New tactic in hiring process....  New blood ...no und affiliation.